Films

Rufus Gwertigan

currently taking advantage of Amsterdam Airport's complimentary 20 minutes of wi-fi after my 10 hour flight from South Korea, during which time I watched....

Beasts of the Southern Wild not quite sure what actually happened, but It moved me and I'd quite like to watch it again, the little kid was remarkable

The Master great performances, and interesting, but nothing to do with Scientology like I'd be told and a bit of a non-ending

Wreck It Ralph YES, really funny, great story, kept me entertained the whole way through (is

Skrillex DJ'n

in the party scene?!)

Hitchcock Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins are so good in this movie, the film is good throughout and Scarlett is :wub: as usual

Frankenweenie I went to the Tim Burton exhibition in Seoul and realised I forgot that I had missed this! As a film it won't go down in the history books, but if you like old horror movies, stop animation and Burton in general then you'll love it :)

Edited by nightcrawler13

Watched Lincoln. Great acting performances but didn't really do it for me. Seemed a little overlong to my mind anyway.

watched that last night, still recovering from jetlag from coming back from Korea, so had a little difficulty with the first hour.... mind you, that was no fault of the film, it was a slow burner and I should probably have waited till I saw it :P

Performances were excellent, very moving in parts, quite exciting by the end :)

I watched Nicholas Wending Refn's "Pusher" (the original version, he has just remade it in english) which was very good. Reviews are very split, but I really enjoyed it, you can see where "Drive" had its roots.

I grabbed Killing Bono, but didnt grab it in time to watch it.

Watched Moneyball last night with Brad Pitt & Phillip Seymour Hoffman,good film but I kept snapping out of the film due to Pitt eating or drinking in every scene.What is it with this guy,he seems to do it in every film he's in,its getting annoying now.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-actors-who-do-exact-same-thing-in-every-movie_p2/

I just tried to watch the Super Mario Bros movie out of a mild intrest and it really is one of the worst movies ever made.

my friend and I have a 'crap film club', you have to drink every time someone points out something that is crap

we watched this a month ago and oh mannnnnn it is bad :lol:

just saw Cloud Atlas

I actually think it's changed my life....

i'm sure not everyone will agree, but I found it to be marvellous, and was shocked that 3 hours of my life had passed in what seemed like far too short of a moment

It's simply beautiful

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/22/x-men-days-of-future-past-director-bryan-singer-says-he-will-be-repairing-things-that-went-wrong-in-the-brett-ratner-directed-x-men-last-stand

Hopefully they will restore the X-Men universe by doing some wibbly wobbly timey wimey things with the timeline so that the events of X-Men 3 are destroyed.

I'm thinking the mutant revolution in X3 leads to all sorts of bullshit and the government totally cracks down leading to the dystopian future, which will then be erased. That way you can bring characters like Cyclops, Jean Grey and Xavier back from the dead. Preventing The Phoenix saga would be one solution. You could also bring back Nightcrawler who vanished for no reason.

Still, I'm not a massive massive fan of these films and to be honest what it needs is an overhaul and that means recasting and restarting the lot. Recast Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops, Colossus everybody they were all so miscast it's unreal. It really needs to be integrated into the Disney fold with The Avengers and restarted with a fresh take so that we can see things like Wolverine and Captain America in the war freeing a child Magneto from auschwitz and then seeing adult Magneto leading a charge of Brotherhood against the Avengers. One massive universe. That won't happen.

Edited by Purple Monkey

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/22/x-men-days-of-future-past-director-bryan-singer-says-he-will-be-repairing-things-that-went-wrong-in-the-brett-ratner-directed-x-men-last-stand

Hopefully they will restore the X-Men universe by doing some wibbly wobbly timey wimey things with the timeline so that the events of X-Men 3 are destroyed.

I'm thinking the mutant revolution in X3 leads to all sorts of bullshit and the government totally cracks down leading to the dystopian future, which will then be erased. That way you can bring characters like Cyclops, Jean Grey and Xavier back from the dead. Preventing The Phoenix saga would be one solution. You could also bring back Nightcrawler who vanished for no reason.

Still, I'm not a massive massive fan of these films and to be honest what it needs is an overhaul and that means recasting and restarting the lot. Recast Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops, Colossus everybody they were all so miscast it's unreal. It really needs to be integrated into the Disney fold with The Avengers and restarted with a fresh take so that we can see things like Wolverine and Captain America in the war freeing a child Magneto from auschwitz and then seeing adult Magneto leading a charge of Brotherhood against the Avengers. One massive universe. That won't happen.

IMO I disagree X-men need to meet Avengers and be a part of the greater Marvel universe, as the reason why X-men worked is because it plays on the concept of social segregation, the second you introduce other superheros who are loved it undoes it all otherwise it'd be like the 90's X-men where all they do is fight things or have a soap opera in tights.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Jump.

X-Men is a strong stand-alone franchise with a powerful cast of characters and interactions that work well independently of other comic book characters. Tying it in with the Avengers would destroy one of the more interesting aspects of the X-Men. Magneto is only a meaningful villain if standard society mistrusts mutants.

I don't really like messing around with timelines, it feels like such a hack excuse to change things. It's why I tend to read comic series that stand apart, and I'd prefer the X-Men franchise was restarted rather than had a bunch of w*nky "time displacement" crap.

Also gives a chance to do Gambit decently instead of the w*nk that was shown in Wolverine: Origins.

IMO I disagree X-men need to meet Avengers and be a part of the greater Marvel universe, as the reason why X-men worked is because it plays on the concept of social segregation, the second you introduce other superheros who are loved it undoes it all otherwise it'd be like the 90's X-men where all they do is fight things or have a soap opera in tights.
Not necessarily. The comics did a good job of keeping the X-Men about social segregation even with The Avengers running about. The world still hates mutants in the comics, and characters like The Avengers frequently end up in deep shit whenever they go near the world of mutants.

It's not necessary anyway. Personally I just think the X-Men movies did a bad job of making it an International group of characters. They represented global unity. Magneto - German, Xavier - English, Gambit - Cajun, Colossus - Russian, Storm - African, Nightcrawler - German, Pyro - Australian, Wolverine - Canadian. It felt like it was happening around the entire planet not just in sodding New York (again). The movies are too Americanised - but of course they are.

Eh, nevermind. They just need to bring back Cyclops and turn him into a good character rather than the douche antagonist for Wolverine. For someone who was actually the MAIN CHARACTER of the books for decades, he got properly shafted. Joss Whedon wrote an incredible version of Cyclops in Astonishing X-Men.

And yes, Gambit was a joke. Coolest character in the comics, the Han Solo of the X-Men, and look what they did to him!

Edited by Purple Monkey

Not necessarily. The comics did a good job of keeping the X-Men about social segregation even with The Avengers running about. The world still hates mutants in the comics, and characters like The Avengers frequently end up in deep shit whenever they go near the world of mutants.

It's not necessary anyway. Personally I just think the X-Men movies did a bad job of making it an International group of characters. They represented global unity. Magneto - German, Xavier - English, Gambit - Cajun, Colossus - Russian, Storm - African, Nightcrawler - German, Pyro - Australian, Wolverine - Canadian. It felt like it was happening around the entire planet not just in sodding New York (again). The movies are too Americanised - but of course they are.

Eh, nevermind. They just need to bring back Cyclops and turn him into a good character rather than the douche antagonist for Wolverine. For someone who was actually the MAIN CHARACTER of the books for decades, he got properly shafted. Joss Whedon wrote an incredible version of Cyclops in Astonishing X-Men.

And yes, Gambit was a joke. Coolest character in the comics, the Han Solo of the X-Men, and look what they did to him!

The Joss Whedon xmen was great. Loved it! And I even liked cyclops a little bit....

I agree they made cyclops even less likeable in the films though...

Never liked Gambit in the comics. Not sure why, just never thought he was quite what he could have been. I liked the x-films, not all great but mostly good, and am interested to see where they go with the next one. As for crossing over with the Avengers, well, dare I say Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Beast? All great, if not pivotal characters in both the Avengers and X-Men comics in the 70s. Could easily turn up in either series of films I'd say (obviously Beast already has).