Films

Rufus Gwertigan

There is nothing in Django to match either the opening or the cellar sequences from Inglorious. I thought it was listless and weak to be honest. Also theres lots of bits that make no sense - who was the lady with her face covered for example? Any movie I see where theres clearly been huge cuts made doesnt really leave me satisfied.

Inglorious aside (and parts of that were a complete mess) QT has had a shocker in the last decade. The chap is done.

In fairness, he's not the only "banker" that has lost the run of himself. Guess theres recent successes on their CVs but Speilberg and DeNiro have both seen their careers nosedive in the last ten or so years. Bizarrely aswell as the previous were bona-fide.

In fairness, he's not the only "banker" that has lost the run of himself. Guess theres recent successes on their CVs but Speilberg and DeNiro have both seen their careers nosedive in the last ten or so years. Bizarrely aswell as the previous were bona-fide.

I thought Spielberg's last few flicks were well receieved tho? I'm not sure as I haven't seen Warhorse or Lincoln yet and I read this morning that De Niro is up for an Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook but he has been in some shit recently.

Inglorious aside (and parts of that were a complete mess) QT has had a shocker in the last decade. The chap is done.

I thought the Kill Bill's were good but Death Proof was very poor but it was never gonna be on par with his other flicks as it was intended as a throw away flim.

Watched Inglorious Bastards the other day,not as good as I thought it would be considering the praise on here recently.Maybe I expected to much because of that?

I didnt like it, and said as much a page or so ago. its too long, too dull in places, and far, far too self indulgent. which is why i am not in a mega rush to see django.

Just watched django, really enjoyed it. The first hour or so was amazing. The middle act was very overblown and could have been edited right down, and the final act was brilliant with the exception of tarantinos cameo which pulled me right out of the movie for the first time in its duration. I cant express enough how much the first act impressed me. The photography was superb. Id give it 7.5/10. Reduce the running time by 40 minutes and it would have been nearer a 9.

The hobbit and Django would both be better films at 2 hours. I think directors get too much of an easy ride for producing films that are too long, thats what editing part of film production is for. There are very few stories that cant be told in 2 hours and knowing how to cut your film to that time is a skill that shouldnt be underestimated.

I have just got half price sky movies so have watched a few in the last few days.

The descendants - One of those funny films which I really enjoyed but would struggle to explain why. I am a big fan of Alexander Payne and while I didnt feel it was up to the standards of sideways or election, it was still one of the better films I have seen recently.

The conspirator - Solid 3* film but suspect a documentary of the events would probably have been more interesting than the actual film.

Martha,Marcy, May, Marlene- Best leading role performance I have seen from a female in a while, Hawkes was also fantastic. Haunting film but I found it gripping from start to finish.

In time- One of those occasions where someone has a good idea but doesnt know how to turn it into a film. Could have got away with it but the leads were very weak and had no chemistry. Had low expectations and felt it was ok but very forgetable.

Disappointed by Gangster Squad, a great cast wasted. Entertaining and amusing enough to prevent complete boredom but didn't really know whether it wanted to be Dick Tracy, LA Confidential or some weird Oceans Eleven-inspired wisecracking caper.

Day off today and got all my errands done so decided to have a Godfather marathon.

Maybe its a generational thing but I've always preferred Al Pacino's performance to Marlon Brando's yet Branro seems to get all the acclaim for the first one,why is that?

In the second one as well De Niro got all the plaudits yet I preferred Pacino.

As I think about it though I may be bias as I can't think of a single movie I didn't like Pacino in.

Day off today and got all my errands done so decided to have a Godfather marathon.

Maybe its a generational thing but I've always preferred Al Pacino's performance to Marlon Brando's yet Branro seems to get all the acclaim for the first one,why is that?

As I think about it though I may be bias as I can't think of a single movie I didn't like Pacino in.

88 minutes and Righteous Kill are fucking appalling. He faxes it in. In both.

Regarding Brando, hes so understated in it yet he stands out so much.

88 minutes and Righteous Kill are fucking appalling. He faxes it in. In both.

Regarding Brando, hes so understated in it yet he stands out so much.

Not seen either of those I'm afraid so you may be right.

With regards to your Brando statement those are the reasons why I think Pacino is so great in the trilogy.I'm not knocking Brando in part 1,I think he's great,but I found Pacino more compelling.

Maybe because Pacino is more subtle or bland compared to De Niro/Brando in them? Imo aside from the De Niro parts I'm not really a fan of the 2nd one where as I loved the 1st and I think 3rd is under rated.

Also to add to Nal's list, Jack & Jill. He even got a razzie for it.

Edited by jump

Maybe because Pacino is more subtle or bland compared to De Niro/Brando in them? Imo aside from the De Niro parts I'm not really a fan of the 2nd one where as I loved the 1st and I think 3rd is under rated.

Also to add to Nal's list, Jack & Jill. He even got a razzie for it.

See I'm the opposite lol!I prefer Pacino's parts in the second.I love how he's this cool,calm,intelligent mob boss yet every sooften he explodes with emotion.I also love the scene in the third movie when his daughter is shot and he yells out in anguish with no sound.With regards to the film as a whole I can't quite remember my feelings,after I watch later I will let you know.