Films

Rufus Gwertigan

There are lots of coincidences there. Some of which that rebuttal ignores.

Watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. Really enjoyed it. Fantastic performances and very funny in parts.

De Niro in good performance shocker! He still has it.

And Bradley Cooper has made the step to A lister with it. Hes great. Never thought he'd be as good.

Watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. Really enjoyed it. Fantastic performances and very funny in parts.

De Niro in good performance shocker! He still has it.

And Bradley Cooper has made the step to A lister with it. Hes great. Never thought he'd be as good.

Haven't seen it yet, and don't know a great deal about it, but I know it's been driving a few reviewers/commentators nuts that its been nominated for loads of Oscars. Don't know if these reviewers aren't "getting" it, or if there's even anything to "get", but I've read a couple of things whcih have been hilariously angry. You'd thing Sex and the City 2 had just won best pricture or something

Haven't seen it yet, and don't know a great deal about it, but I know it's been driving a few reviewers/commentators nuts that its been nominated for loads of Oscars. Don't know if these reviewers aren't "getting" it, or if there's even anything to "get", but I've read a couple of things whcih have been hilariously angry. You'd thing Sex and the City 2 had just won best pricture or something

Its a little predictable and weak(ish) in parts. A little "nice".

But it deals with mental illness so therefore Oscar worthy apparently.

Flight. Enjoyed it. Denzel is excellent in it.

Also have got most of Hitchcock's stuff thats been remastered. Watched Vertigo last night. Recently voted The Best Movie Ever.

Which is madness obviously. Its a great movie but its not even Hitchcocks best work. The three movies that followed (North by Northwest, Psycho and The Birds) are better for me. As is Dial M For Murder and Rear Window.

Watched Django Unchained.

I felt it's bit far too long, but still a very entertaining movie. Christoph Waltz put an another amazing performance on aTarantino production, he's becoming one of my favorite actors.

Samuel L Jackson shines as well, it's probably one of his finest performances in years.

• Upvote 1

Dredd looks pretty good on the small screen and it is making good sales as well

Anywho the quality o tvs' now is making me think twice about the cinema, mainly because people are really starting to irritate me. But I have a relatively small LCD tv (34") and a good, yet inexpensive surround sound for the room and I find that just as satisfying. I may even invest in Bluray.

Anyone seen "This Is 40"? (the latest Judd Apatow, kinda a sequel to knocked up)

I really fancy it simply because it appears to be pretty much what happens in our marriage, as a couple of early 40'ers I think its gonna be right up our street, but the IMDB comments are very harsh and very positive in equal measure. I'm hoping that the harsh comments are from the 20 somethings that cant really relate to what its like to be in a 15+ year marriage with kids?

anyways, I'll find out for sure if we get the chance to watch it tonight.

Edited by t8yman

Dredd looks pretty good on the small screen and it is making good sales as well Anywho the quality o tvs' now is making me think twice about the cinema, mainly because people are really starting to irritate me. But I have a relatively small LCD tv (34") and a good, yet inexpensive surround sound for the room and I find that just as satisfying. I may even invest in Bluray.
Bluray is great, and most players will play video files downloaded from the web via a usb stick or drive. I got my dad one for chrimbo from currys for £50, does everything you could need. Its a samsung one.

I'd agree Blu Rays are great. Only problem i find sometimes is sound when one scene can be louder than the other and have to turn the volume up and down although that is tolerable. Bought a couple of Blu Rays the other day actually got myself - Braveheart (Haven't seen it in years and i'm Scottish so it has to be in my collection) Quadrophenia, The Doors movie, Gremlins and One flew over the cuckoo's nest. Haven't watched them all yet on Blu Ray.

Edited by JamesT977

On the road, I can see why its taken so long to make it to film, not sure it really works.. maybe worth it for the Kristen Stewart sex scenes and the bizarre gay scene with Steve Buscemi.

Edited by lost

I saw Django Unchained last night. Makes for very uncomfortable viewing at times. The violence is getting more comical with each film he makes though. It was actually the light relief at times.

Is it just me or is Reservior Dogs the best thing he's ever done and it's been downhill from there. I still like his films don't get me wrong I just think the big budgets and all the power in the world doesn't always help.

I loved Pulp Fiction as well but for me if you think about return for your money Reservoir Dogs is just amazing for 1.2 million in comparison to 8.5 million for Pulp Fiction.

I think he does have little over indulgent moments now that he can get away with it and sometimes the films suffer for it.

you dont measure a films quality on its financial success, otherwise titanic would be the best film ever.

pulp fiction is simply a much more accomplished narrative. a better told story, whereas dogs was simply a high concept movie done incredibly well. it also changed the way dialogue was written forever. dont get me wrong, i love the film, but pulp fiction is streets ahead. IMHO of course.

you dont measure a films quality on its financial success, otherwise titanic would be the best film ever.

pulp fiction is simply a much more accomplished narrative. a better told story, whereas dogs was simply a high concept movie done incredibly well. it also changed the way dialogue was written forever. dont get me wrong, i love the film, but pulp fiction is streets ahead. IMHO of course.

The amounts are not what they made but what they cost to make. Definitely not saying the one that makes the most money is the best just saying I don't think that there is that noticeable a difference in quality for the extra £7 million. I just think that sometimes working on a budget is preferable with some filmmakers as they put in everything that truly needs to be there and remove the fat.

Watched Django Unchained.

I felt it's bit far too long, but still a very entertaining movie. Christoph Waltz put an another amazing performance on aTarantino production, he's becoming one of my favorite actors.

Samuel L Jackson shines as well, it's probably one of his finest performances in years.

Agreed.

I also thought Jamie Foxx played Django well, I really enjoyed the film and I rate it highly! Only Tarantino can make films about slavery that are as funny as parts of Django Unchained.

He is my favourite director though, so I am probably biased