The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it is amazing that a party who many supporters (including some on here) claim to be left wing, is considering in 2022 choosing a leader who can’t say it’s great that 2 men can marry if they choose, or can’t fully get behind a woman’s right to choose.

Nationalist parties are not left wing, they're not about sharey carey they're about me, me, me! 

The favourite for the SNP leadership 

“I think for me, Angela Merkel is the example I would follow, I would have voted, as a matter of conscience, along the lines of mainstream teaching in most major religions that marriage is between a man and a woman”.

She may try and hide behind collective responsibility, but these are the prehistoric views she believes in. I may glad to say that in 2022 I don’t believe we would ever get a major contender for the labour leadership spouting this rubbish.

• Upvote 1

Nobody would accept in 2023 a politician coming out and saying they didn’t believe in equal rights for black people, but they are democratic and wouldn’t force their racist views on others due to collective responsibility. We therefore shouldn’t give our free passes to those who come out with the drivel that Forbes does. Completely unfit for such an important role.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it is amazing that a party who many supporters (including some on here) claim to be left wing, is considering in 2022 choosing a leader who can’t say it’s great that 2 men can marry if they choose, or can’t fully get behind a woman’s right to choose.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The favourite for the SNP leadership 

“I think for me, Angela Merkel is the example I would follow, I would have voted, as a matter of conscience, along the lines of mainstream teaching in most major religions that marriage is between a man and a woman”.

She may try and hide behind collective responsibility, but these are the prehistoric views she believes in. I may glad to say that in 2022 I don’t believe we would ever get a major contender for the labour leadership spouting this rubbish.

56 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Nobody would accept in 2023 a politician coming out and saying they didn’t believe in equal rights for black people, but they are democratic and wouldn’t force their racist views on others due to collective responsibility. We therefore shouldn’t give our free passes to those who come out with the drivel that Forbes does. Completely unfit for such an important role.

I think you have made your position clear, PT.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

To me it looks like 2 flawed candidates are going to result in a slightly less flawed but lightweight candidate Hamza winning the race. Forbes statement today must have been music to his ears.

Anything which undermines indie is a good thing, who knew it would be brought down from within like its being. 

On 5/8/2021 at 11:31 AM, LJS said:

You really have it in for Kate. She is a member of a religious sect who I fundamentally disagree with but then I fundamentally disagree with most religions - I don't however think that that should stop people who have religious beliefs from holding public office. It is important that they accept that their religious beliefs do not allow them to impose their views on the rest of us. As far as I can see, Kate has never uttered a word to indicate she has any desire to do so and has not come out against any of the freedoms that have recently been won for homosexuals and women.

By contrast the Scottish Tories have a leader who has said that he would have voted against Gay Marriage and is on record with some pretty atrocious racist comments against the Gypsy/traveller community.

I think Kate Forbes is bright, honest and genuine and is one of the most able people in the Scottish politics.

I mean we all talk stupid at times, this is coming from me the person who didn’t think Saka was a footballer! 

I struggle to see the contrast with the conservative leader who you highlighted as saying he would vote against gay marriage, when Kate has now said the same.

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I mean we all talk stupid at times, this is coming from me the person who didn’t think Saka was a footballer! 

I struggle to see the contrast with the conservative leader who you highlighted as saying he would vote against gay marriage, when Kate has now said the same.

Sadly, I do not feel able to vote for Kate. It has to be Humza.

12 minutes ago, LJS said:

why conscience and rationality with choosing a leader, when you don't apply those to indie itself. 😛 

37 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Surely the Scottish people are sick and tired of having the worse education and health outcomes all of the developed nations ? 

😛 

That's a pretty astonishing claim Barry.      

Is it based on anything remotely factual?

2 hours ago, LJS said:

I get the impression that SNP voters want to vote for Kate without the religious nutter side, but that Kate doesn’t exist in the real world. It seems like Hamza may win by default, rather than a ringing endorsement of him as a leader. One of Sturgeons legacy may be that she didn’t pave the way for a successor.

3 hours ago, LJS said:

She's really screwed up. It's a perfectly reasonable question, and it's reasonable for people to find her answer inadequate 

Either way, Great for labour in Scotland. All the contenders seem complete lightweights.

Screenshot_20230221_103427_Twitter.jpg

44 minutes ago, zahidf said:

She's really screwed up. It's a perfectly reasonable question, and it's reasonable for people to find her answer inadequate 

Either way, Great for labour in Scotland. All the contenders seem complete lightweights.

Screenshot_20230221_103427_Twitter.jpg

I wonder if someone like Angus or Swinney will see the shit show and stand up as a “safe pair of hands”. As you say they seem lightweight, but I don’t know them well, so maybe I’m missing something.

This “faith” excuse is bollocks. My parents go to church and believe in equality and tolerance. They feed the homeless and volunteers as street pastors. They do not give a shit who people choose to have sex with or who they choose to marry. People like Forbes give religion a bad name.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I wonder if someone like Angus or Swinney will see the shit show and stand up as a “safe pair of hands”. As you say they seem lightweight, but I don’t know them well, so maybe I’m missing something.

I think they are both yesterday's men

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

This “faith” excuse is bollocks. My parents go to church and believe in equality and tolerance. They feed the homeless and volunteers as street pastors. They do not give a shit who people choose to have sex with or who they choose to marry. People like Forbes give religion a bad name. 

Yeah some religious people are OK even though they all believe in fairy tales. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

That’s fine if you have today’s people ready to go, I don’t get the impression that is the case. However you are in Scotland so have a better grasp on things, do you rate the other 2? Hamza seems like he may win, just because he isn’t one of the others.

I don't think Forbes has any chance & Regan has even less. For me, Yousaf looks reasonably competent. Whatever your views on Sturgeon , she is a really hard act to follow - a bit like following Sir Alex at Man U!!

29 minutes ago, LJS said:

I disagree.

The man who was caught driving without insurance whilst transport minister?

The Justice bill he pushed through which he said should make private dinner table conversations subject to hate crime legislation? and him saying the Dundee police station was FINE a few hours before the roof collapsed?

When he lied about children being hospitalised due to Covid as health secretary and then presiding over 'ambulancegate'?

He seems to be the Scottish Mr Bean