2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think Eminem ever had the same "press/media darling" status that West has achieved. He is more abrasive, crude and "real" than the likes of Kanye. Also he's been booked by the Reading's of this world.

Couldn't agree more with Wooderson that putting Kanye at headliner is a really bad decision. With the quality of Public Enemy, Nas, Wu-Tang, Beasties etc having been overlooked, the decision to put Kanye West up there is not dissimilar to them turning round and saying "We've ignored pop for too long but we know you want it - so here's One Direction".

Edited by Vanderlyle

A couple of questions that come out of that. Does that mean Glastonbury can only book acts from certain genres at a certain time?

It also throws up the point whether you think hip hop is just a fad, when it and its varients have arguably been the most constantly evolving genre of music in the last thirty years.

As well as this, do you believe Glastonbury should book the biggest acts rather than the best? (I'm going off your Eminem comment). I believe he'd never be booked because he doesn't fit the ethos of the festival, but that's a different matter.

I think the festival has played footsie under the table with hiphop in the past before the much balleyhooed video intro alerted us to JayZ's headlining magnificence. Did Stevie get a video intro? Did Macca? No. The festival signalled something with this headliner and the presentation at the time that it wouldnt be dictated to nor would it be pigeonholed. That they coronated JayZ specifically disappointed me hugely however. He just had the chutzpah and the record sales to proclaim himself the greatest (or whatever) despite anyone with cop on obviously knowing this wasnt the case.

Who, other than Jay-Z, Kanye and Eminem would be big, or good enough to headline the Pyramid currently?

Dre & Snoop together but very unlikely that Dre would do that, Coachella was a home gig for him. PE, Cypress Hill etc are all way past their prime. Wu Tang were never big over (see how small the crowd was in 2011). Lil Wayne’s massive over the pond but sells little over here. 50 Cents time has been and gone.

I’d guess currently only an Outkast reunion could do it, partly out of the novelty value of them reforming.

Well that's not true. Have a look at the list of heavy bands that have been on. They were on a long time before hip hop had even touched Glastonbury.

RATM, Foo Fighters, Placebo, Deftones, QOTSA, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Sex Pistols, Billy Talent, Fucked Up, Less Than Jake, Lostprophets, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Dropkick Murphys, Cooper Temple Clause, Bloodhound Gang,Nine Inch Nails, Hole, Jesus And The Mary Chain, Pavement, The Offspring, Weezer, Tool, Coheed And Cambria, Slash, Marillion and Red Hot Chili Peppers are just some I could be bothered to find.

"Certain genres at certain times..."

No. But Im really only talking about headliners here - the festival isnt "all things to all men" at all is it? Theres always been at best a healthy distance or at worst a downright contempt for metal f'instance. Anything that isnt 4 generic white kids and guitars could be deemed a deviation from the festivals heyday by a lot of people.

I think the festival has played footsie under the table with hiphop in the past before the much balleyhooed video intro alerted us to JayZ's headlining magnificence. Did Stevie get a video intro? Did Macca? No. The festival signalled something with this headliner and the presentation at the time that it wouldnt be dictated to nor would it be pigeonholed. That they coronated JayZ specifically disappointed me hugely however. He just had the chutzpah and the record sales to proclaim himself the greatest (or whatever) despite anyone with cop on obviously knowing this wasnt the case.

Sorry to be boring about this, but Kanye isn't even on the rumours page whatsoever, whereas we have TBC, SR and SR alongside AMs, Stone and Mumford.

Was Kanye ever up there and has been removed?

Anyway, I really think it makes sense for Mumford to be the Sunday headliner for a lot of reasons. I don't like them, but I understand and expect that to be the booking.

"Certain genres at certain times..."

No. But Im really only talking about headliners here - the festival isnt "all things to all men" at all is it? Theres always been at best a healthy distance or at worst a downright contempt for metal f'instance. Anything that isnt 4 generic white kids and guitars could be deemed a deviation from the festivals heyday by a lot of people.

"Hiphop is a fad..."

Kanye West to me is the quintessential pop star of the moment & all pop music is by and large faddy. I don't see his records being as important as his public persona.

Do I think 'Low End Theory'-era Tribe Called Quest was/is a fad? No. Same can be said for 'Paid in Full'-era Rakim. I saw Rakim play Dublin a couple of years ago and there was nothing faddy about how absolutely ballistic the place went for "Don't Sweat The Technique". Yet Rakim never went out with a Kardashian. Nor invaded the stage at an MTV awards. Nor had the President of the US call him a "jackass"... he just made quality records and is still the best MC thats ever lived.

;)

"Glasto should book the biggest rather than the best..."

Inherent implication that Eminem is bigger rather than better than Kanye. I believe he is both! Thing is with Eminem is that kids with skinny jeans and moustaches dont buy his records - nor go to see him live or read about his 10/10 album reviews on P4K. Reading has - to my mind at least - been a more hospitable place for hiphop than Glastonbury and I say fair play to them for getting him.

To answer your question though, as I'm a fan of the festival I think they should book the best rather than the biggest - but where possible get both in the same artist.

Edited by Vanderlyle

Sorry to be boring about this, but Kanye isn't even on the rumours page whatsoever, whereas we have TBC, SR and SR alongside AMs, Stone and Mumford.

Anyway, I really think it makes sense for Mumford to be the Sunday headliner for a lot of reasons. I don't like them, but I understand and expect that to be the booking.