2013 Headliners

Guest shangri-la_steward

it's not very diverse though, is it?

ps.. genres, is for losers anyway. There's 2 types of music, that which you like and that which you don't..

and there's some that you think's ok, so maybe 3 'types'

and stuff you sometimes like

that's 4

and everything in between

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiphop is as diverse as any genre. You have the talented and the talentless, the socially conscious and the ignorant, the substantive and the vacuous. Sadly Kanye West lies more towards the latter end of each of these three aspects.

West is a true product of new media/blogosphere. He has been very skilled at appealling to the HypeMachine/P4K fraternity - I can't say I've seen a more w*nked-over record than his most recent effort by a certain cadre of online "journo". As a live performer he leaves me very cold though - the Pyramid headlining spot is a stadium sized gig - as a result I can't see him achieving much beyond further impressing those already convinced of his "genius".

It depresses me that the hiphop acts with genuine style and substance are lucky to get a 4pm spot on the JazzWorld but this jackass gets to headline with his pitchshifted vocals and mumbling imprecise delivery.

Normally everything follows this formula

We get news, talk about it for a week or so, everyone says their opinion on it.

Then we have a period of time (can be a week, or even longer), of no information... and everyone is just waiting for something big.

Then the frustrated boring period of no news, where everyone gets aggy.

Then a teeny bit of news.

Then big news.

Then back to the start. xD

My point was that Glastonbury had a window of opportunity to support hiphop during a period of time where there was an acknowledged explosion of creativity and variety (late 1980's/early 1990s). This moment passed - and in a manner eerily similar to the US's tardy embrace of house music - fest HQ has now apparently decided that an MC and a turntablist is suitably significant to headline the biggest cultural festival on the plantet. Contrast this with their embrace of dance music much closer to its cresting in popularity in the early 1990s... they got that right - organically - whereas this seems a bit flakey and gimmicky in its design.

Theres always been the presence of hiphop at the festival - albeit at a lower profile from JayZ and now potentially Kanye West. I would argue that - to name but two artists - Public Enemy could have been given as equal a push to headliner, as could the Beastie Boys. These two acts, despite making records at the same time and coming from the same city could not be more different. PE have genuine substance, and whilst sadly no longer a viable option, the Beastie Boys had oodles of style. I know the Beasties played the festival already but it was pre BBC & at the Wu Tang/Snoop Dog level.

Glasto is just playing silly buggers with these Kanye rumours and its gotten my goat. Eminem for example has a far higher profile/level of experience putting on a gig of this magnitude - yet they wouldnt dream of booking him. Then again Eminem doesnt come with the 10/10 P4K chic that West has attained... thus the absence of interest from the panic stricken, rabbit in the headlights chiefs making the judgement calls.

My point was that Glastonbury had a window of opportunity to support hiphop during a period of time where there was an acknowledged explosion of creativity and variety (late 1980's/early 1990s). This moment passed - and in a manner eerily similar to the US's tardy embrace of house music - fest HQ has now apparently decided that an MC and a turntablist is suitably significant to headline the biggest cultural festival on the plantet. Contrast this with their embrace of dance music much closer to its cresting in popularity in the early 1990s... they got that right - organically - whereas this seems a bit flakey and gimmicky in its design.

Theres always been the presence of hiphop at the festival - albeit at a lower profile from JayZ and now potentially Kanye West. I would argue that - to name but two artists - Public Enemy could have been given as equal a push to headliner, as could the Beastie Boys. These two acts, despite making records at the same time and coming from the same city could not be more different. PE have genuine substance, and whilst sadly no longer a viable option, the Beastie Boys had oodles of style. I know the Beasties played the festival already but it was pre BBC & at the Wu Tang/Snoop Dog level.

Glasto is just playing silly buggers with these Kanye rumours and its gotten my goat. Eminem for example has a far higher profile/level of experience putting on a gig of this magnitude - yet they wouldnt dream of booking him. Then again Eminem doesnt come with the 10/10 P4K chic that West has attained... thus the absence of interest from the panic stricken, rabbit in the headlights chiefs making the judgement calls.