Recommend me a Mobile Phone

luckysalt

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slowing down seems to be a standard Android feature - my Nexus isn't as zippy as it once was, and that's without having loaded anything extra onto it over the last few months.

I noticed my S3 getting a bit sluggish, so I purged a lot of old apps I never use, tidied up a TON of SMS threads going back ages, and deleted loads of old un-needed photos and videos and it seems a lot better.

I noticed my S3 getting a bit sluggish, so I purged a lot of old apps I never use, tidied up a TON of SMS threads going back ages, and deleted loads of old un-needed photos and videos and it seems a lot better.

My s3 has been the same lately, I'll give that a try, got a load of photos and videos on it

I've had the Blackberry Q10 for a week now and really love it, by far the best phone I've used including the Samsung Galaxy S3. Best way to describe the handset is it is a state of the art touch screen phone with a decent sized qwerty keypad

I love keypads and this phone actually allows you to type even if you have sausage fingers!

Edited by she bangs the drums

Interesting. I've always favoured slide out keyboards (I'm still using my old n900) and a friend has a Z10 that he's very happy with. Like yourself I prefer a physical keyboard.

I am currently in need of a decent android device. Android 4.x, full qwerty keyboard, preferably slide out, rather than the android style as a preference. If anyone is aware of such a beast I'd be interested to know, as I have not seen a decent physical keyboard in a while.

Got my first smartphone over the weekend. My brother got an upgrade so gave me his Iphone 4 for free. Decent!

Only problem it's locked. Anyone ever had to get one unlocked before. How much does it cost on average? Noticed there are ways to do it for free online but looked pretty hard. Any advice? Cheers

Just got another S3 on a £15.50 contract Orange. Lets call it contract 2.

Quick question - I want to use an existing Orange contract sim(contract 1) in this new S3.

The existing sim is normal sized but obviously the S3 uses a micro sim. I rang Orange up to get them to send out a replacement micro sim for contract 1 so I could use it in the S3. The woman i spoke to said she could do this but it would invalidate any insurance i might have as it is not the paired sim for the new S3 (the sim for contract 2 would be).... This was news to me - I have put many different sims in many different phones but never heard of this before...Anyone got any experience with this?

Got my first smartphone over the weekend. My brother got an upgrade so gave me his Iphone 4 for free. Decent!

Only problem it's locked. Anyone ever had to get one unlocked before. How much does it cost on average? Noticed there are ways to do it for free online but looked pretty hard. Any advice? Cheers

If your brothers contract for that particular phone is paid up, the service provider will unlock it for free for you. They only lock them to network for the duration of the contract. I had an iphone on O2, and when it was paid up, I rang O2 and they texted me a code within 24 hours which I entered on the phone and rebooted and it was network free.

If your brothers contract for that particular phone is paid up, the service provider will unlock it for free for you. They only lock them to network for the duration of the contract. I had an iphone on O2, and when it was paid up, I rang O2 and they texted me a code within 24 hours which I entered on the phone and rebooted and it was network free.

no way, I never knew that :)

Sometimes this works.......if you connect the phone to iTunes with your cable on to a laptop/desktop, then press and hold your home and lock button at the same time it will reset, just keep hold of the buttons until your phone turns back on and it will be unlocked but you will lose everything on your phone as it will go back to factory settings.

Sometimes this works.......if you connect the phone to iTunes with your cable on to a laptop/desktop, then press and hold your home and lock button at the same time it will reset, just keep hold of the buttons until your phone turns back on and it will be unlocked but you will lose everything on your phone as it will go back to factory settings.

that wont work to unlock it. all it does is restore to factory as you say.

as I said, unlocking is free once the contract is paid up. you just need a code from your service provider.

here is the web page for o2's unlocking facility

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=17424

Edited by t8yman

Just got another S3 on a £15.50 contract Orange. Lets call it contract 2.

Quick question - I want to use an existing Orange contract sim(contract 1) in this new S3.

The existing sim is normal sized but obviously the S3 uses a micro sim. I rang Orange up to get them to send out a replacement micro sim for contract 1 so I could use it in the S3. The woman i spoke to said she could do this but it would invalidate any insurance i might have as it is not the paired sim for the new S3 (the sim for contract 2 would be).... This was news to me - I have put many different sims in many different phones but never heard of this before...Anyone got any experience with this?

Just chop the excess plastic off your existing SIM

Yeah ive done that before but that still leaves me in the same position. Does using a sim from a different contract potentially invalidate insurance?

Possibly. Doesn't the insurance cover the cost of the phone, plus any calls that were made. If you've put a different SIM in the phone, then the calls are from a different number so you won't be covered.

Why do you have 2 contracts anyway?!

Possibly. Doesn't the insurance cover the cost of the phone, plus any calls that were made. If you've put a different SIM in the phone, then the calls are from a different number so you won't be covered.

Why do you have 2 contracts anyway?!

Yeah that might be the reason but im surprised never to have come across it before.

I've got three contracts in my name. Two of them are used by my daughters. It works out cheaper than payg and is far less hassle and I don't need to be concerned that they may run out of credit when they most need it etc.

• 3 months later...

S4 or I phone 5? I like the look of HTC One but it's more more sound than anything

I like Android, and I've got good experiences of the earlier Samsung Galaxies.

Never used an iPhone5, but I avoid apple like the plague now because everything requires iTunes registration and I hate that program.

Same. Anything modern will come with 4.x which is a great platform for phone and tablet.

Apple have many fans, but a combination of factors has seen that platform start to lose ground against the wider Android market. Samsung's range is great, with handsets to suit all needs (right up to the mega phablet sized devices) that pack a punch.

Software wise Apple tend to have the better ground, with many top apps moving to android later or with lesser features in my experience, although only having the android versions I've never experienced the missing stuff to notice.

I'd go for the S4, personally, it's a beast of a spec.

I left apple last year to move to an S3, followed by my Dad, my missus, and a handful of friends. A lot of people fear leaving apple because "all my apps/music is on itunes". Let it go, break the chains. I love my S3, dont think I would bother too much with the S4, will prolly wait till the S5 before I renew.