Recommend me a Mobile Phone

luckysalt

big mistake if they do. the classic is a great piece of kit. I hate the touch ones. be interesting to see the sales figures like for like.

I reckon their main motivation for scrapping them would be that people dont feel the need to replace them every year or two....

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside... isn't it weird, that having developed music players that you can fit in your pocket, people are buying massive headphones now? I guess the ability to 'show' how expensive (but not particularly good :rolleyes:) your headphones are is quite important.

I do prefer the sound headphones give to earphones myself, and they're more comfortable to wear. Mostly if I'm out though earphones are a bit more convenient.

big mistake if they do. the classic is a great piece of kit. I hate the touch ones. be interesting to see the sales figures like for like.

I reckon their main motivation for scrapping them would be that people dont feel the need to replace them every year or two....

The main reason being cited is people don't own mp3s anymore - it's all about streaming and the cloud apparently.

that wouldn't surprise me at all. One of the main problems with capitalism, crystallized. I have 2 nano's, that's all. One is the very first nano that came out, Slightly 'boxy', and only black & white display, but still going strong.

As an aside... isn't it weird, that having developed music players that you can fit in your pocket, people are buying massive headphones now? I guess the ability to 'show' how expensive (but not particularly good :rolleyes:) your headphones are is quite important.

I love my sennheiser buds, they arent the hardest wearing, but they are damn portable and sound amazing. When on holiday in portugal earlier this year, the lookie lookie guys on the beach were selling "Beats by Dre" headphones by the bucketload for 20 euros, just goes to show many people value the look over the sound quality.

The main reason being cited is people don't own mp3s anymore - it's all about streaming and the cloud apparently.

laughable isnt it? When are these companies going to realise that we aren't ready for cloud based storage yet? The 3G coverage around my work and home are shocking, and free wifi non-existent other than my home/work networks. and I probably live in one of the better covered areas of the UK due to our fairly condensed population, imagine rural people trying to stream music from the cloud?

imagine rural people trying to stream music from the cloud?

I am rural - i only get a phone signal every other day for a few hours - sometimes it can take up to 3 days for a text to arrive.

However I do have broadband at home, and can pick up wifi pretty much anywhere even along the sand bar down the road thanks to BT Open leaking everywhere. It's a shame festivals don't provide a fuller wifi coverage across the campsite and campervan fields as phone signals are rubbish across rural areas.

I wouldn't say that's really true, most people go on what their friends have

(Conforming :P). Iphones are/were fashionable more than anything else due to great marketing (and the fact big companies still release apps just on iOS at least at first) . Android phones work just as well as iOS out of the box....it's just they also have the ability to customize if you want to.

Though I'd say say they got the IPod right even if Itunes is a piece of shit on Windows....well at least the classic. I'd love to get another classic so I can have all my music on one device but my hate of Itunes does get in the way. I have no idea why no one else makes a decent high capacity mp3 player without adding on stupid screens for video playback to make it more expensive.

Well that's what I thought in the beginning. I was a total snob about not getting the latest fad, and went for the equivalent spec that techies liked. But I could never navigate them. If apple are making products that idiots like me can manage to use, then good on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after all my love for the samsung galaxy s3, I am going back to the horrible world of apple. I'm sick of it slowing down and being unresponsive, and it only decides to connect to the bluetooth in the car or the van when it feels like it, a problem I never encountered with apple. And I'm sure the antenna is dodgy because the number of dropped calls I get is infuriating, without exaggeration - 3 a day, minimum. My wife is on the same network, with the same handset and she never gets dropped calls.

I loved my galaxy, but I need my phone to work as it should, all the time.

Well after all my love for the samsung galaxy s3, I am going back to the horrible world of apple. I'm sick of it slowing down and being unresponsive, and it only decides to connect to the bluetooth in the car or the van when it feels like it, a problem I never encountered with apple. And I'm sure the antenna is dodgy because the number of dropped calls I get is infuriating, without exaggeration - 3 a day, minimum. My wife is on the same network, with the same handset and she never gets dropped calls.

Get the Note 3, don't go back to the dark side!!!

surely it's an issue with your personal handset then, rather than a problem with the G3?

surely it's an issue with your personal handset then, rather than a problem with the G3?

that particular issue, yes. but the bluetooth thing really is a problem, and one my wife also gets in our car. I spend a lot of time in my van, and usually, the first time you realise it hasnt connected automatically - is when you get a call, so you either pull over, miss the call (which is invariably a customer) or take the call and drive dangerously/risk getting nicked.

the sluggishness is definitely an s3 problem too.

the sluggishness is definitely an s3 problem too.

I think it's a general android problem, due to a combination of loading too much on, too little memory, and the chip being asked to do more than it's able to cope with.

I find with my Nexus 7 that rebooting it every few days helps, otherwise the screen doesn't respond in a normal way at some point down the line, usually somewhen when I'm not keen to give it a reboot cos i'm in the middle of doing something.

Get the Note 3, don't go back to the dark side!!!

Indeed!

The note 3 is a fantastic device got mine on Saturday :D. Apart from the gorgeous and large screen, I am not sure if its the Snapdragon 800 and 3GB of RAM but boy the version of TouchWiz/Android they have put on is finally buttery smooth! (I was running an S2 last week, that was showing its age and running of memory mind). I've even got to love the "faux leather" for the back cover. I'm loathe to put a case on it, it feels so nice in the hand.

And I'd try removing things like very old texts/pictures from your S3, seemed to speed my S2 up quite a bit when I did that. A factory reset and starting from scratch also tends to help things get back to normal.

Still got my S2, so I'm going start trying out a few different roms and hopefully put something abit sleeker/less battery draining on it for use at festivals etc.

I like the new Xperia's but way to much bezel compared to other phones at the moment!

Edited by LondonTom

Had my S4 for about 3 months now, running Android 4.2.2 and not showing any signs of slowing down. Don't get any freeze/crashes and think I've only had to reboot it once for an issue I had where the screen went blank but I think this might have been the Facebook App that caused it.

I regularly force close all running apps, to be honest I've probably got too many apps on there I don't need nor use so might just get rid of them as a precaution.

• 1 month later...

Random question but I thought I'd post it here. Has anyone replaced the glass screen on a Samsung Galaxy S3? I stupidly smashed the glass on my phone during a heavy weekend in Manchester, the screen internally is fine but the glass is pretty cracked. I was quoted £97 to fix it, which seems ridiculous given it's essentially a small sheet of glass.

There is the glass screen, and then the digitizer which is glued to it and very easy to break. There are how to vids on YouTube to replace just the glass, or glass and digi. You can get either kit on eBay for a lot less than that but you need to be confident with essentially taking your phone to bits and rebuilding it. I did my daughters iPhone 4, it was fiddly but I managed it. Cost me £20 plus about an hour of my time.

There is the glass screen, and then the digitizer which is glued to it and very easy to break. There are how to vids on YouTube to replace just the glass, or glass and digi. You can get either kit on eBay for a lot less than that but you need to be confident with essentially taking your phone to bits and rebuilding it. I did my daughters iPhone 4, it was fiddly but I managed it. Cost me £20 plus about an hour of my time.

Cheers mate. I had seen this but I really don't think it's a good idea that I do it myself. Knowing my cack handed nature I'll probably end up ruining the screen/digitizer as well!