Got any gigs coming up?

spwan-of-the-devil

6 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Father John Misty tonight. Can't wait. Support from Khruangbin. Anyone heard of them?

No, but pls report back so that I know whether to turn up in time or stay for an extra drink in a proper bar before heading in on Friday.

Motion City Soundtrack have announced a Manchester date for their "last ever" tour, very pleased with that. Original drummer Tony Thaxton is returning for these shows, so I'm planning to accost him afterwards, ply him with beer and pick his brains on Star Wars and The Muppets. Also I love that band, I'm sad to see them go.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

I've got super week in Manchester/London/Swansea to look forward to. Very expensive but worth it:

Wednesday 25th - Springsteen

Thursday 26th - Jagwar Ma

Friday 27th - Radiohead

Saturday 28th - Manic Street Preachers + SFA and Public Service Broadcasting.

Fucking sumptuous.

Edited by zero000

8 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Well he was fucking ace. Holy shit live was mental. Was coming here just to post that for your benefit as I know it's your favourite. He also covered nine inch nails' closer which was brilliant. Only complaint - apart from 4.60 a pint of carlsberg or 4.95 for tuborg (it's been a while since I went to leeds o2 now I remember why - is he didn't play strange encounter but it's a tiny one as the whole thing was brilliant. Not a big fan of i went to the store but live it was beautiful. 

This is all VERY promising, I really love Holy Shit and I Went To The Store One Day, and he didn't play them at fests last year, I doubt he will at Latitude, so that pretty much justifies me not selling the tickets and going to Future Of The Left instead (same bastard night, can you believe it). NIN cover has me intrigued. Would like to see Strange Encounter but with the whole album being so strong, some things will have to be left out. Thanks for the tip on support, doesn't sound like my usual thing tbh, but I might be in the mood for it so I'll see how I feel at the time.

Was this at the academy? I last went about 2 and half years ago, but I remember the drinks being better than your average mid-size venue in Manchester. You'd still never go within 50 feet of a proper bar that had that sort of set up, but the prices and variety weren't bad for a corporate venue. I don't think I got a drink at Jack White at the arena because I was already cooked when I arrived, did sup a couple of nice ales in the nearby Weatherspoons afterwards though, so I reckon that'll be where I get my drinks before/after Shakey.

On 11/05/2016 at 1:50 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Father John Misty tonight. Can't wait. Support from Khruangbin. Anyone heard of them?

James on Saturday.

Would be interested to hear what kind of set list James come up with mate :)

Seeing them in Glasgow next week. Just got tickets for The Selecter  in Paisley town hall in September :music:

Bay City Rollers in Hamilton tonight

On 5/12/2016 at 10:03 AM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Well he was fucking ace. Holy shit live was mental. Was coming here just to post that for your benefit as I know it's your favourite. He also covered nine inch nails' closer which was brilliant. Only complaint - apart from 4.60 a pint of carlsberg or 4.95 for tuborg (it's been a while since I went to leeds o2 now I remember why - is he didn't play strange encounter but it's a tiny one as the whole thing was brilliant. Not a big fan of i went to the store but live it was beautiful. 

With regards to the support I'm not sure what to say. I wouldn't want to recommend as I'm not sure if I thought they were great or naff myself. Three piece mainly instrumental playing santana-esque guitar solos with some seventies shaft type effects thrown in. Not a must see but could be right up your street or totally hate it to be honest. 

Off to leeds arena Saturday and again in June. Prices gonna be just as bad. Definitely investing in a new hip flask.  Fucking scandalous. Worse than that London. 

So we didn't get a NIN cover last night, but a very groovy Rihanna cover! I really enjoyed it, he was on top form. The setlist was, I think, a perfect 50/50 split of Fear Fun and Honeybear songs. For me, I would have preferred more Honeybear, as I'm not a fan of Fear Fun really, although they were infitinitely better live than on record; Only Son Of  A Ladies Man was incredible, a proper highlight. All of the Honeybear songs were excellent, first time I've seen him do Holy Shit and I Went To The Store One Day, both were incredible. True Affection is the weak link of the album for me, but his live rendition is amazing. He finished the encore on The Ideal Husband, which was fantastic at Green Man last year, but seemed a little bit tamer here for some reason, still very good though. I turned up half way through the support band and found them unremarkable but entertaining, would have happily watched their full set if I'd been there on time.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Only two songs missed of honeybear so can't have got much more. 

Ah, so it was, I didn't realise that. Strange Encounter and The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apt are two of the best ones! Also Fear Fun is a bit boring.

Stone Roses next up for me. 

On another note I have only been to 3 gigs this year. For the first time in 20 years I feel like I really can't be arsed and its like I am going just out of habbit. Anyone else get like this? Usually I am buzzing and can't wait to go.

11 hours ago, eastynh said:

On another note I have only been to 3 gigs this year. For the first time in 20 years I feel like I really can't be arsed and its like I am going just out of habbit. Anyone else get like this? Usually I am buzzing and can't wait to go.

I've only been to 4, but that's because there's not been a lot of interest to me so far. I tactically didn't go to Explosions In The Sky because they're playing Glastonbury, but I bet that backfires on me when there's some horrible clash. I missed out on tickets to Floating Points and Funeral For A Friend's gigs because they sold out quickly. Anderson .Paak did the Ruby Lounge earlier in the year, but I had to miss that because one of my friends selfishly emigrated around that time and had her leaving party the same night. On Friday night there were three gigs in town I wanted to go to, but I can only be in one place at once, which is inconvenient, so I missed out on Future Of The Left at the Night & Day and Bat For Lashes at the Cathedral. The latter half of the year is shaping up better, I've got tickets for Neil Young, Kamasi Washington, The Kills, Motion City Soundtrack, John Murry, Julia Holter and The Cure with The Twilight Sad supporting.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I agree. Strange encounter my favourite. Don't really know fear fun but cos it all sounded so good i bought the vinyl there. Not had chance to listen since so this doesn't sound good news. 

You may be well into it, it's just very different from Honeybear and not really my thing at all. I find that his live shows really put those songs across well, but I get really bored listening to them on record. On a comics forum I post on Fear Fun was really well received and Honeybear got opinions ranging from lukewarm to negative, the music thread on there is mainly focused on a lot of folk rock and Americana. So I think it's down to personal tastes, I wouldn't go into it expecting something like Honeybear though, Honeybear is nearly a complete reinvention of his sound.

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:18 AM, eastynh said:

Absolutely - A few years ago I was seeing about 30 to 40 gigs a year and although I always enjoyed them, I didn't have any feeling of anticipation or excitement. I only realised what was missing when I saw Bobby Womack followed by Charles Bradley at Glastonbury in 2013. I'd not seen either before, but really wanted to and suddenly before they came on that wonderful feeling that we all used to have as giddy teenagers came back and made both gigs extra special.

Since then I've been much more selective and may only see 10 gigs a year in addition festivals, but enjoy and appreciate them a lot more than previously. 

Also off to see FJM tomorrow, glad to see the reviews are decent. Anybody else see his car crash of an interview on 6Music by the way? :lol: Was excruciating. 

Unfortunately first decent-size gig of the year I think, which is poor form. As much as I'd love to see Springsteen and Young its nearly £200 for both! Will hopefully get a few more smaller ones in though, Brian Jonestown Massacre and a few others are tickling my fancy this summer. 

20 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

Also off to see FJM tomorrow, glad to see the reviews are decent. Anybody else see his car crash of an interview on 6Music by the way? :lol: Was excruciating

Do you know roughly how far along in the show it starts? Want to listen to it on iPlayer but cba sitting through an entire show of that pair of goblins. They were in the audience on Friday, FJM threw a couple of stingers at them.

17 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Do you know roughly how far along in the show it starts? Want to listen to it on iPlayer but cba sitting through an entire show of that pair of goblins. They were in the audience on Friday, FJM threw a couple of stingers at them.

No idea where it was on the programme itself mind

19 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Paul Simon is at the Apollo in Manchester. I really want to see him live, possibly more than I want to see anybody, but £75 is outrageous, I'm not paying that for anybody.

And out of the blue my dad buys us tickets! I'm going to see Paul Simon! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm off to Nice on Tuesday to see Coldplay and then flying back the following day, was a Christmas present. Not a huge fan of flying and not the biggest Coldplay fan so not too excited at the moment but don't want to seem ungrateful! 

Well I saw gordon lightfoot last night. 77 years and a lot of that battling alcoholism has caught up with him a bit. Rake thin and a haunted look in his eyes, and sometimes unintelligible. 

Some people near me left at the interval complaining it was shit, but I was enthralled to finally see the person who wrote some of my favourite songs live. A real privilege, even if he did struggle in parts.

I reckon I was the youngest person there by 25 years...

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Only just discovered him via a couple of songs on Neil Young's covers album, a letter home. Really good stuff

Nice! Lot's to get through. As ever, the old stuff is where to start.

Leonard cohen, neil young, and gordon lightfoot...The holy trinity of canadian music.

With avirl lavigne just behind.