Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I got a new - actually refurbished - PC yesterday, it cost me £120.

It's much better than the one I've been working with for the last 8+ years. I doesn't keep on locking up from some of the stuff I have running - yippee :) 

Pity I did not know. My son did a course at uni in Game Design. Every year he would spunk out a grand on a new PC to keep up to date. I got the old ones which are just sat gathering dust. 

Anyone fancy a PC? 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:26 AM, santowhir said:

That sounds like an awesome idea for someone who suffers with SAD.

It is!

What's also good and am very happy about is during that 6 months, we've just booked flights to the Philippines for 5 weeks in January :D

On 8/9/2019 at 7:57 AM, eFestivals said:

I doesn't keep on locking up from some of the stuff I have running - yippee :) 

All very well and good, but you may need to have a look at the letter 't' key on your keyboard! 

Seriously though - if you buy a refurbished or second hand pc or laptop, how do you know if the person selling it hasn't pre-installed some nasty virus on it that enters your on line bank account and steals all your money etc? Would one completely wipe the pc or laptop and then re-install whatever programs are needed from a safe source? Or would running a de-bugging program through the device be the thing to do? I have no direct and immediate need for this knowledge, but it's been something on the back of my mind on and off for a while now, and your post brought it back to mind. 

3 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

It is!

What's also good and am very happy about is during that 6 months, we've just booked flights to the Philippines for 5 weeks in January :D

Wow, your living the life Paul. Nice one. Enjoy Portugal and the Philippines. Oh, and don't worry about us left behind in the winter's cold weather! :)

On 8/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Wow, your living the life Paul. Nice one. Enjoy Portugal and the Philippines. Oh, and don't worry about us left behind in the winter's cold weather! :)

Cheers mate, it still can get cold in Portugal in the winter nights (especially central), but warm enough in the day not to worry about it too much.

34 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Cheers mate, it still can get cold in Portugal in the winter nights (especially central), but warm enough in the day not to worry about it too much.

I've been to a fair few countries, some of them many times, but I've never managed yet to get to Portugal. I'm led to believe that it's a lovely country. I also believe that it has certain drug laws, which sound convivial. 

Where about in the Philippines are you going? Now, there's a place where you really don't want to get involved in drugs! 

4 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

My daughter not having cancer. Horrible wait for the results, as they had said it is more than likely to be cancer and she was booked in for full body scan to see where it all was. 

Also meant I could get a few days in at Edinburgh fringe. 

Toxoplasmosis in the end

Have an upvote, not much in the scheme of things, but to reflect the happiness. ?

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Where about in the Philippines are you going? Now, there's a place where you really don't want to get involved in drugs! 

Not planned much of our trip there yet, but will involve beaches, islands, snorkelling, diving (hopefully) and probably avoiding the southern islands so not to get kidnapped!! :D 

I met up with a lad i knew at school last night. It's been 34 years since I saw him, and we got on like a house on fire. It's all the more odd because he wasn't actually one of my mates at school either. I knew him to be a nice bloke though. I nearly always came last in the class at school, and he never judged me for that, like some did.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have a new mouse for my computer. I really can't get on with using a touchpad. This, yes this small thing, has made me happy.

Yep touchpads are the pits. I have to use a mouse also.

Just set up new biometric security on my phone. Now, apparently, as well as not having a face, I have no irises either! 

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

Just set up new biometric security on my phone. Now, apparently, as well as not having a face, I have no irises either! 

Wow, that sounds scary. Perhaps you should seek medical intervention - or, at least, a second medical opinion on whether you have a face and irises. I'd be pretty certain that you have, but I'm not a medical man.

In addition to the above, I should point out that I have an almost remedial (by today's 'normal' standards) mobile phone, which makes calls and allows you to text. I did have a smart phone once, but just couldn't get on with it. I think that the main problem with me having that phone was (a) me and (b) it had a protruding on / off button. The later ended up with me inadvertently surfing the net one day, without me having a notion what it was searching for while in my pocket. On another occasion it actually rang a friend of my wife's. I could hear here in the background calling my name, and wondered what the f was going on. It then dawned on me that the phone had done it's mischievous thing again, and dialled her number. Fortunately she's in her 70's and did not think that I was trying to cop off with her behind my wife's back. That was the final straw for me though - that phone had to go. Nowadays, I don't even carry my mobile around with me, and will not look at it for days. I suspect that in certain circles, I'd be considered a weirdo for that. Well, that and a long list of other things that I'd like to be taken in to consideration when being sentenced! 

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Wow, that sounds scary. Perhaps you should seek medical intervention - or, at least, a second medical opinion on whether you have a face and irises. I'd be pretty certain that you have, but I'm not a medical man.

In addition to the above, I should point out that I have an almost remedial (by today's 'normal' standards) mobile phone, which makes calls and allows you to text. I did have a smart phone once, but just couldn't get on with it. I think that the main problem with me having that phone was (a) me and (b) it had a protruding on / off button. The later ended up with me inadvertently surfing the net one day, without me having a notion what it was searching for while in my pocket. On another occasion it actually rang a friend of my wife's. I could hear here in the background calling my name, and wondered what the f was going on. It then dawned on me that the phone had done it's mischievous thing again, and dialled her number. Fortunately she's in her 70's and did not think that I was trying to cop off with her behind my wife's back. That was the final straw for me though - that phone had to go. Nowadays, I don't even carry my mobile around with me, and will not look at it for days. I suspect that in certain circles, I'd be considered a weirdo for that. Well, that and a long list of other things that I'd like to be taken in to consideration when being sentenced! 

I'm not very good with mine. Obviously, since it refuses to acknowledge me!

Mine used to be at the bottom of my bag, I'm getting trendy now though, it's attached to me wherever I go.

Got fitted out with new hearing aids today - after 76 weeks on the waiting list.  Luckily they are still 'open ear' aids as opposed to a full ear mould. But they offer as much gain as is possible with open ear aids, so fingers crossed.

The above may mean nothing to many but if anyone is struggling with hearing and wants any advice I can Bore for Britain on hearing aids.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:02 PM, grumpyhack said:

Got fitted out with new hearing aids today - after 76 weeks on the waiting list.  Luckily they are still 'open ear' aids as opposed to a full ear mould. But they offer as much gain as is possible with open ear aids, so fingers crossed.

The above may mean nothing to many but if anyone is struggling with hearing and wants any advice I can Bore for Britain on hearing aids.

Ha! Ever since I had flu about 5 years ago I need subtitles for the tv. I was going to go to the local opticians who now do hearing tests, apparently.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:20 PM, feral chile said:

Yep touchpads are the pits. I have to use a mouse also.

I contemplated getting a usb fingerprint reader for my Mum, but I've read a review which said they can be a pain if you're older as some folks have less distinct prints.  As with much you read online, you're never quite sure if it's true.

16 hours ago, feral chile said:

Ha! Ever since I had flu about 5 years ago I need subtitles for the tv. I was going to go to the local opticians who now do hearing tests, apparently.

Beware opticians who do hearing aid tests.  They (if it's Specsavers) also sell hearing aids.  My first privately bought set cost me about £2,000!  I was able to get my second and better aids for free on the NHS, who I've stuck with ever since.

See your GP and get referred to your local NHS Audiology Dept.  There may be a wait but it will be worth it.

I also use subtitles on TV - they're brilliant, although you sometimes get funny interpretations of words in live news programmes.

3 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Beware opticians who do hearing aid tests.  They (if it's Specsavers) also sell hearing aids.  My first privately bought set cost me about £2,000!  I was able to get my second and better aids for free on the NHS, who I've stuck with ever since.

See your GP and get referred to your local NHS Audiology Dept.  There may be a wait but it will be worth it.

I also use subtitles on TV - they're brilliant, although you sometimes get funny interpretations of words in live news programmes.

My optician's the expensive one, so maybe I'll avoid that one then! Thanks for the heads up.

GP hear (!) I come!

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 6:49 AM, eFestivals said:

apparently my little bit of Bristol is the 35th coolest place in the world. :lol: 

https://www.timeout.com/coolest-neighbourhoods-in-the-world

Bristol's a nice place, we keep meaning to spend a few days there. So if your area is better than average Bristol, must be supercool.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:49 AM, eFestivals said:

apparently my little bit of Bristol is the 35th coolest place in the world. :lol: 

https://www.timeout.com/coolest-neighbourhoods-in-the-world

My daughter lives near there in a very posh sounding address - Westminster Road, Whitehall.  Sadly the street doesn't quite live up to the name.