Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

50 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I just kept on inputting variations on my usual passwords. In this case it turned out to be four numbers longer than my main usual password. Sounds easy, but I've been at it on and off for days!

Brill :)

10 hours ago, fred quimby said:

12 Months since I gave up Tobacco

6 Months since I gave up Nicotine

most of the time I see my self as a not a smoker or vaper. Glastonbury to over come yet though

The temptation will be there, and it'll probably be that much stronger at Glastonbury. Don't do what I did when I went to Glastonbury after giving up smoking for over a year, and give in. It's cost me a fortune in health and wealth since. Remember these words if you happen to be fighting the urge. Good luck.

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The temptation will be there, and it'll probably be that much stronger at Glastonbury. Don't do what I did when I went to Glastonbury after giving up smoking for over a year, and give in. It's cost me a fortune in health and wealth since. Remember these words if you happen to be fighting the urge. Good luck.

I always take on the wise words of YoaS. I will think of you

1 hour ago, santowhir said:

On the subject of giving things up, I've not had any caffeine in 5 weeks. It's completely changed my life around.

I'm intrigued. In what way?

I gave up alcohol over 10 years ago,  illegal drugs even further back (not that I did much anyway) , and never really got into smoking much so that was easy to stop in my early twenties. Coffee is all I've got left. I do notice if I haven't had a coffee within a couple of hours of waking up I get a pounding headache

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I gave up alcohol over 10 years ago,  illegal drugs even further back (not that I did much anyway) , and never really got into smoking much so that was easy to stop in my early twenties. Coffee is all I've got left. I do notice if I haven't had a coffee within a couple of hours of waking up I get a pounding headache

It's an addiction, so you need it to get you back to equilibrium. You suffer withdrawal.

It has pros and cons 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/coffee-good-or-bad

15 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I went the opposite way - stopped for years, then started again and now merely thinking of the future and looking forward to death's warm embrace.

25 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I went the opposite way - stopped for years, then started again and now merely thinking of the future and looking forward to death's warm embrace.

To be honest, I don't have too many qualms about still smoking, although I do wish it were cheaper. That said, if I were in fred's position now, I'd try to refrain from going back to smoking. That's kind of why I gave him some encouragement, as well as wished him good luck. The thing is, I like smoking. There's no running away from that fact. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Everyone is different and I'm not a scientist so can't say if it's the same for everyone else but I do seem to be incredibly sensitive to it, and because I've been having it for 10+ years you become used to the effects it has on you and presume that it's just you (or there's something else wrong). I wish I knew but you can't turn back time. 

- Reduction in migraines
- Virtually no stress/anxiety
- Clearer thinking
- Reduction in anger 
- No more insomnia (I'd been going 2-3 days without sleep in my worse episodes)
- Reduction in tinnitus / ear ache / ear pains

I've had MRI scans with no results. So I figured I was having silent migraines for days/weeks/months, the realisation was quite upsetting. My mental health is starting to feel similar to what it was when i was 15/16, probably at it's strongest and it's emotionally overwhelming that something so simple has removed so much pain. I had just put it down to old age.

11 minutes ago, santowhir said:

Everyone is different and I'm not a scientist so can't say if it's the same for everyone else but I do seem to be incredibly sensitive to it, and because I've been having it for 10+ years you become used to the effects it has on you and presume that it's just you (or there's something else wrong). I wish I knew but you can't turn back time. 

- Reduction in migraines
- Clearer thinking
- Reduction in anger 

I've had MRI scans with no results. So I figured I was having silent migraines for days/weeks/months, the realisation was quite upsetting. My mental health is starting to feel similar to what it was when i was 15/16, probably at it's strongest and it's emotionally overwhelming that something so simple has removed so much pain. I had just put it down to old age.

I'm happy this worked for you. Sugar and carbs are my addiction, even though they make me feel ill, and I'm prediabetic, so really should quit.

I'm seriously addicted though. I made myself some marzipan to eat, and some icing.

?

Edited by feral chile

2 hours ago, santowhir said:

- Reduction in migraines
- Clearer thinking
- Reduction in anger 

Wow, that really has changed your life around. 

I'm theoretically Type 2 Diabetic but I have to confess that I do very little to ward it off.  I have sweetener in decaff coffee most of the time and my weight is about what it should be.  I also tend to eat pretty healthily.

That said, I smoke.  Like so many others I gave up for years but a bit of stress came along (dad died and mum went into a care home) and I fell for the compensation of nicotine.

An old friend of fine, now sadly gone, was the PR man for a big health authority and he had a sign above his desk which said: "The mortality rate is always 100 per cent."  And I reckon that's it - we're all going to go; the only questions are "how long and how?"

And the things I'm happy about at the moment:  I've got a new cover today for my big garden gazebo after the old one was ripped open when the branch of a tree fell on it and on Saturday a caravan fitter is going to sort out a new flushing system for my caravan lavvie.  At present it only flushes with fresh water off the aquaroll.  He's going to fit a separate tank to hold pink water for flushing.

27 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

I'm theoretically Type 2 Diabetic but I have to confess that I do very little to ward it off.  I have sweetener in decaff coffee most of the time and my weight is about what it should be.  I also tend to eat pretty healthily.

That said, I smoke.  Like so many others I gave up for years but a bit of stress came along (dad died and mum went into a care home) and I fell for the compensation of nicotine.

An old friend of fine, now sadly gone, was the PR man for a big health authority and he had a sign above his desk which said: "The mortality rate is always 100 per cent."  And I reckon that's it - we're all going to go; the only questions are "how long and how?"

And the things I'm happy about at the moment:  I've got a new cover today for my big garden gazebo after the old one was ripped open when the branch of a tree fell on it and on Saturday a caravan fitter is going to sort out a new flushing system for my caravan lavvie.  At present it only flushes with fresh water off the aquaroll.  He's going to fit a separate tank to hold pink water for flushing.

Good to hear from you grumpy. Hope all's well. :)

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

Hello GH, nice to hear from you, I was just thinking I hadn't seen you on here much.

Luckily I don't smoke, or drink much after my recent health issues.

But sugar....food generally.....we're far too pally.

And exercise....this is true.....I took one class of chair mobility, and the walk there and back has knackered me for weeks!

So no festivals for me yet!

Edited by feral chile

Thanks both.  Yep, I'm alive and kicking.  No Glastonbury for me this year - the ticket gods decided it wasn't for me.  So Wychwood, Upton Blues Festival, Cambridge Rock and Green Man will have to suffice.  Still the saving on a Glasto ticket will at least, hopefully, pay for the air suspension on my car to be fixed and the toilet job on the caravan.

24 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Thanks both.  Yep, I'm alive and kicking.  No Glastonbury for me this year - the ticket gods decided it wasn't for me.  So Wychwood, Upton Blues Festival, Cambridge Rock and Green Man will have to suffice.  Still the saving on a Glasto ticket will at least, hopefully, pay for the air suspension on my car to be fixed and the toilet job on the caravan.

Hello grumpy,

I decided not to even try for Glasto this year. That said, I am entering the competitions on the off chance that fate dictates that I go. I did try for some efesters last Sunday, but got nowhere.

The only festival we have tickets for this year is the Landed Festival. Whether we go or not is still in the balance. We run an Airbnb now, and weekends tend to be taken up with customers. This will, no doubt, be the case throughout August. So, we've got to decide whether to make money, or spend money.

I'd like to go to Green Man one day, as I've only ever heard good things about it. 

Hope your car gets sorted, as well as your beloved caravan.

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

Losing 5 and a half stone and dropping 4 jeans sizes. Was size 40 jeans and now got size 32 I fit into nicely.  ?

That's excellent, well done!

Any tips for an exercise resistant food junkie?