Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

Good stuff Neil - what's he on to next?

My 4 year old has just given us a rendition of Que Sera Sera, after my mum played it to her once over Easter. She even picked out another Doris Day song straight away when she heard her singing on radio 2. Now to manipulate her 'talent' for my own financial gain/early retirement!

Good stuff Neil - what's he on to next?

My 4 year old has just given us a rendition of Que Sera Sera, after my mum played it to her once over Easter. She even picked out another Doris Day song straight away when she heard her singing on radio 2. Now to manipulate her 'talent' for my own financial gain/early retirement!

My health visitor suggested I put my son into modelling when he was a toddler - he had wavy blond hair and was quite pretty and cute.

He looks like a metalhead now :D

I've got a nice battle with a contractor (and their sub contractor) for Birmingham City Council going on. They are spouting shit and lies and I am tying them up in knots because of it. This is making me happy because I love a good battle with those hiding behind bureaucracy. It's nice to make them accountable - especially when they've been naughty liars and have actually put those lies down in writing. As I write now the coup de grâce is heading in their direction. Lovely.

I won a £3K 10 seater external dining table a while back and have been trying to sell it ever since. Someone has just offered me £675 for it which I have accepted. It's less than I had hoped to get but I have to accept that I just don't need a 10 seater external dining table and that I do need money. Looks like the Shambala Festival might be a little bit more fun now that I'll have some loot in my pocket, which is making me happy today. :)

• Upvote 1

Went for lunch today with 92 year old mother in law and some family and friends. Amazing to sit and listen to a 94 year old and an 85 year old discuss the merits of various apps on their iPads.

Good for them - and also those who took the time out to teach them about how to use these things. My parents nearly have a brain haemorrhage just using a cashpoint machine.

My mother in law is 87 now and I was most impressed with how she grasped new technology.  I think it is a lifeline in many ways, even in only keeping the mind occupied and active or providing a window onto the world, so much better than the sad wasting away I had seen with elderly relatives 20 or 30 years ago.

My dad is 74 and he never really got how to use the VCR.  He's completely lost with today's technology (gave up on the internet with him about 15 years ago).  It's a terrible thing to say, but I hope he goes before my mum, as he would be completely lost without her to do things for him.

my mum was 80 last week. My slightly mad dad is 83. He can work a computer, but I get the "I hope he goes before my mum" part.

We went out for a meal at the weekend, and my old man got pissed more than I've ever seen him pissed - to the point he fell on his arse.

Meanwhile my not-pissed mother (she was driving) was laughing like I've never seen her laugh.

It was a great day. :)

My mother in law is 87 now and I was most impressed with how she grasped new technology.  I think it is a lifeline in many ways, even in only keeping the mind occupied and active or providing a window onto the world, so much better than the sad wasting away I had seen with elderly relatives 20 or 30 years ago.

I get where you are coming from Spindles. It's got to be better to be connected to the web than limit yourself to watching Cash in the Attic.

It's a terrible thing to say, but I hope he goes before my mum, as he would be completely lost without her to do things for him.

I used to think that my mom would be able to cope more if my dad went first. Now I see the light fading in her too.

I've got a very real family issue with my dad right now and have had for months. The last thing he said to me was that I was a 'c**t'. The last thing I said to him was equally as eloquent. I'm torn. It's easy to say forgive him because you'll not have too long together. Then again it's hard just to forgive and forget such a multitude of shite.

I used to think that my mom would be able to cope more if my dad went first. Now I see the light fading in her too.

I've got a very real family issue with my dad right now and have had for months. The last thing he said to me was that I was a 'c**t'. The last thing I said to him was equally as eloquent. I'm torn. It's easy to say forgive him because you'll not have too long together. Then again it's hard just to forgive and forget such a multitude of shite.

Yu don't have to forget, it's whether you can forgive without having to give up your integrity.

I found I became the parent with mine (though I always had felt like I was the more rational person, even as a teen).

How very true, and such wise words. Thanks feral - you've given me further food for thought and I currently think that that is progress. I'm indebted. :)

You're welcome :)

One thing that makes it easier for me personally to forgive, is being grateful I'm not the person I'm trying to forgive. It often lends a bit of compassion to the situation.

They might have messed my head up, but they have to live inside their own permanently.

There's also self preservation reasons too - forgiveness helps to heal the wounded party, and it's the best form of revenge, as you've refused to be poisoned by the toxicity of the person/situation.

Forgiveness carries quite a lot of power with it. And most transgressions tend to leave us feeling powerless, which is why they hurt so much.

Edited by feral chile