Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

I have now completed three pieces of art. Two are for entry in to a project that's running in Birmingham and one is for the Yeo Valley competition to design their Glastonbury bag for 2015.

Although I don't hold out much hope for the Yeo Valley competition, I think the other two pieces will be shown in an exhibition. It's the first time I have entered my art for anything. That I have finally overcome apathy to do so is making me happy.

Oh, and I've got all my nieces and nephews their Christmas presents, most of which are now wrapped. Getting that sorted has led to some contentment too.

• Upvote 1

For the last couple of years I've been spammed semi-regularly by Standard Life.

For once I decided to open the envelope before dumping it in the recycling. Turns out I have 250 shares they gave me about some merger or some shite and the net result is I have a grand-and-a-bit to cash in.

• Upvote 3

Everyone I know who has had it done has been thoroughly aware of the potential issues, with one or two backing out as a result of not being comfortable with the idea.

I also can't have it done, but I've never been bothered by wearing specs (too much of a wuss for contacts).

I also can't have it done, but I've never been bothered by wearing specs (too much of a wuss for contacts).

Ha I keep thinking about contacts, but always wuss out on them :P

Luckily I can see resonably well most of the time, so just need glasses for staring at a screen all day.

Can't say I'd be comfortablewith the old laser surgery either, guess it depends on how bad your eyesight actually is. For some I guess, the improvement is worth the risk...but I'd have to be almost blind before I'd consider it!

Edited by LondonTom

I have received some of the electronics/micro controller stuff I've been coveting (Arduino). This is definitely making me happy, helping me to learn what's going on.

This also relates to my two-evening-a-week college course so I can get a HNC in Electrical/Electronic Engineering which I started in September. The fact that although I have very little knowledge from a practical point of view but am still getting on with it really well (it's basically a shit load of mathematics) is also making me happy. :)

• Upvote 2

I have received some of the electronics/micro controller stuff I've been coveting (Arduino). This is definitely making me happy, helping me to learn what's going on.

This also relates to my two-evening-a-week college course so I can get a HNC in Electrical/Electronic Engineering which I started in September. The fact that although I have very little knowledge from a practical point of view but am still getting on with it really well (it's basically a shit load of mathematics) is also making me happy. :)

Sounds rock hard to me. I could never get mathematics and kind of stopped at the times tables. I once tried to get a degree in Building Surveying. I'd have got it too, if it weren't for those dastardly sums. I used to sit in Structural Mechanics lessons and actually 'know' that there was no point in me being there. At all. The Clangers make more sense to me than those lessons did.

Sounds rock hard to me. I could never get mathematics and kind of stopped at the times tables. I once tried to get a degree in Building Surveying. I'd have got it too, if it weren't for those dastardly sums. I used to sit in Structural Mechanics lessons and actually 'know' that there was no point in me being there. At all. The Clangers make more sense to me than those lessons did.

It's never too late... you can learn at your own pace at the Khan Academy.

https://www.khanacademy.org

It's never too late... you can learn at your own pace at the Khan Academy.

https://www.khanacademy.org

That's very kind of you viberunner. The main problem, as I see it, is that mathematics looks really dull to me. I know it's not - I have a friend who just reads books of 'sums' - equations gone doo lalley, if you will. He seems perfectly content. I don't think I'd like to look in his trophy cabinet though.

The last bit. It was a joke - just in case.... and all that.

I lost my crafty mojo for most of this year but am firing on all cylinders at the mo with 5 little projects finished and ideas for lots more. Shame it's so close to Christmas I'll never get them all done.

My daughter, who's in the final year of her mental health nursing degree, getting three interviews and being offered jobs at all three hospitals.

She's opted for one in Bristol so from next March will stop being a student and will actually start earning some money at last.

I was quite amused today by my manager asking me if there had been any witnesses to the tumble I took yesterday, as if that had been a good thing.

I tripped over a little concrete thing because I wasn't looking (hair blown into face probably, but it was silly o'clock so I might have been sleepwalking) And kind of did a flying dive over the concrete thingy onto the ground the other side. So I kind of lay there for a bit hoping no one had noticed and then did a Delboy impression.

There were people around, but nobody reacted, so I hopefully got away with it.

I was quite amused today by my manager asking me if there had been any witnesses to the tumble I took yesterday, as if that had been a good thing.

I tripped over a little concrete thing because I wasn't looking (hair blown into face probably, but it was silly o'clock so I might have been sleepwalking) And kind of did a flying dive over the concrete thingy onto the ground the other side. So I kind of lay there for a bit hoping no one had noticed and then did a Delboy impression.

There were people around, but nobody reacted, so I hopefully got away with it.

Isn't it more likely that he is;

(1) Following correct procedure for reporting accidents at work.

(2) Trying to build up a case against you should you ever hit your employer with a claim.

Do you think the 'concrete thing' is a health and safety trip hazard that might cause other employees more harmful injury? Is the concrete thing signed or marked in some way in order to highlight a trip hazard danger?

If I were in your shoes I would;

(1) Make a note of the time and day when the accident occured.

(2) Make a note of who you reported it to, and when.

(3) Serrupticiously take a photo of the 'concrete thing' from all angles. Do this soon, before they have the chance to put up signs or mark it in some way so that employees are better informed.

(4) Take photos of the surrounding area / walls etc showing any lack of signage.

(5) Make a note of the names of those who actually did witness it.

I get the feeling you wouldn't want to put a claim in. However, if your employers mistreat you / sack you in the future than you might want to re-consider.

Just saying.

Isn't it more likely that he is;

(1) Following correct procedure for reporting accidents at work.

(2) Trying to build up a case against you should you ever hit your employer with a claim.

Do you think the 'concrete thing' is a health and safety trip hazard that might cause other employees more harmful injury? Is the concrete thing signed or marked in some way in order to highlight a trip hazard danger?

If I were in your shoes I would;

(1) Make a note of the time and day when the accident occured.

(2) Make a note of who you reported it to, and when.

(3) Serrupticiously take a photo of the 'concrete thing' from all angles. Do this soon, before they have the chance to put up signs or mark it in some way so that employees are better informed.

(4) Take photos of the surrounding area / walls etc showing any lack of signage.

(5) Make a note of the names of those who actually did witness it.

I get the feeling you wouldn't want to put a claim in. However, if your employers mistreat you / sack you in the future than you might want to re-consider.

Just saying.

Thanks Yog,

I guessed that it was to safeguard (hopefully) both of us. He was following procedure, he reported it to our health and safety rep, he took photos etc., there is a sign but it's facing you as you leave, not on the way in, and it says 'pedestrians please use the pavement'. it was dark and windy though.

I wouldn't use it against my employer unless it was related in some way to time off and I needed medical time off etc.

I'm just hoping they don't have to stop us going in that way - I'll be well popular!

Edited by feral chile