Car Parking

ripcurl85

I just checked how much car parking is this year.

£45.00.

I felt that I needed to immediately come onto the forum and create a thread about this, owing to my shock at the increase in price of a tenner for, I think, the second year running. At least it includes a tractor to tow you out on Sunday. Not that it will be required this year NFC NFR. 

Edited by ripcurl85
Commas

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see the problem with car parking being so expensive. Being a green festival hopefully it encourages people to lift share or take more sustainable modes of transport. After the traffic problems last year I'm not surprised they've put it up 

I wonder how much of this is down to the traffic chaos last year? Concerns were certainly raised by MDC and this could be a way of showing the festival is at least attempting measures to cut down the amount of traffic. I'd expect that the increase in ticket prices was slightly less than it might have been otherwise to offset the increased car parking charges. 

Completely agree with the above. Works out at around £9.00 per day. I imagine that given the amount of time the adjoining landowners' land was out of use following last year's festival, and the traffic chaos beforehand, both the owners and MDC have demanded extra cash/an increase to encourage use of public transport.    

I'm usually a coach traveller but travelling down in the car this year with 4 of us in the car it'll work out at around £30 each for the return trip (petrol and parking spilt) it's still cheaper than getting a return coach from Sheffield. Bargain price compared to the coach return! I wish you got more incentive to travel by coach / public transport. 

1 minute ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

Just wondering how the issues on the roads surrounding the festival last year have any bearing on the price of the car park tickets this year?

I'd imagine it's more to do with the costs incurred for additional resources, the clear-up, and prevention methods so it doesn't happen again.

Though £45 is pretty effing steep 

4 minutes ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

Just wondering how the issues on the roads surrounding the festival last year have any bearing on the price of the car park tickets this year?

I'd imagine so, raise the price to persuade fewer to come by car and more car sharing

Yes, it's expensive but as said above the break down per day and per car occupant makes it more acceptable. We come by car (2 of us), but bring my daughter and son in laws heavy stuff while they come by public transport.

I wonder if the many people commenting on the cost will be more likely to travel by public transport next time they get a golden ticket?

I think as it is the only additional cost and is available from Tuesday night to Monday then it's reasonable- especially when you think that the landowners are asking for more and the land must have been a state after last year. Costs for infrastructure, insurance etc all gone up too I expect. They might even have bought their own trackway this year to avoid it getting stuck somewhere else like download last year. Steep but then it costs £12.00 a day to park at the beach these days so all in all about right for 5-6 days!!!

20 minutes ago, Mollyanne&Mike said:

Yes, it's expensive but as said above the break down per day and per car occupant makes it more acceptable. We come by car (2 of us), but bring my daughter and son in laws heavy stuff while they come by public transport.

I wonder if the many people commenting on the cost will be more likely to travel by public transport next time they get a golden ticket?

OK.

I got a ticket. General admission. I want to lower my carbon footprint by traveling by bus. Coming from South East, M4 corridor straight to festival.

Can I?

Or did the GFL / Nat Express collaboration from my town all sell out on the day? As a finite amount to be sold. And no more to be sold to non coach ticket holders?

8 minutes ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

OK.

I got a ticket. General admission. I want to lower my carbon footprint by traveling by bus. Coming from South East, M4 corridor straight to festival.

Can I?

Or did the GFL / Nat Express collaboration from my town all sell out on the day? As a finite amount to be sold. And no more to be sold to non coach ticket holders?

You won't be able to get a see coach with a general admission ticket.

you could still book national express I believe, or just get a train and free shuttle to gate A

40 minutes ago, annax said:

...makes the Campervan price seem reasonable...

I have a Campervan ticket but unsure how will be getting there yet.  

If I surrender the Campervan ticket and buy a car park ticket the total cost will be £55 I reckon , but the Campervan ticket was £100 so for an extra £45 it will be good value .

Leeds Festival is still free car parking I think  ! 

9 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

You won't be able to get a see coach with a general admission ticket.

you could still book national express I believe, or just get a train and free shuttle to gate A

Just had a look. Can go with National Express on the Wednesday, as a single journey, no returns available(!) according to the site, for a variety of fares, some more than the price of a car park ticket. Can't buy a coach ticket via SeeTickets.

Point is... come on.... GFL need the car parking money. Car park tickets are seen as easy income as there's no real alternative for a lot of people. To blame the weather last year for such an increase, when there was a similar increase the year before without the weather problems, is weak at best.

Landowners charging more for access to fields for car parking? Chin them off and use Bath & West or similar offsite fields and shuttle bus people in.

Tl;Dr

GFL can go properly green on transport to and from the festival but only if the money's right.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It's £2 an hour to park at my local picturesque dog walking place. It seems a lot but it's not when you compare the cost of parking pretty much anywhere. Plus you've got to factor in that whoever owns the fields can't do much with them for the other 360 days a year.

Grow stuff? Graze stuff?

Laugh all the way to the bank 'cause you've charged a fortune to rent your field out for a week?