Laura Marling

the wonderwhy

I like the Park that you can pretty much rock up and walk to the front. Saw Guy Garvey and Richard Hawley last year and had brilliant spots, no bother.

I saw Laura Marling on her cathedral tour. It was a 'pleasant' evening but one of the odder gigs Ive been too. More of a recital, but I assumed that had more to do with the venue. Maybe not? :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

I like the Park that you can pretty much rock up and walk to the front. Saw Guy Garvey and Richard Hawley last year and had brilliant spots, no bother.

I saw Laura Marling on her cathedral tour. It was a 'pleasant' evening but one of the odder gigs Ive been too. More of a recital, but I assumed that had more to do with the venue. Maybe not? :D

Id say more clever engineering of how you wish for your music to be presented, which i think nowhere near enough acts think carefully about.

The venue can make or break a gig and it made me respect her as an artist that she/her team went out of their way to play venues like that for the artistry of it!

even on a "normal" tour she has upcoming she has still selected certain suitable venues like colston hall, roundhouse and albert hall.

23 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I was really looking forward to her headline at Green Man but there was no crowd interaction, the set list was dull and the whole set never caught fire. Plus it was really short. Felt like she phoned it in tbh.

Yes, I was there too and it was a big disappointment, especially when she just finished and walked off after what seemed a very short time. One of the most underwhelming headliners I've ever seen. 

Seen and enjoyed her a couple of times previously but this really put me off her.

I've seen her at NYC Town Hall in 2015. I think her guitarist was sick or something. She had to change her setlist a little bit and played a bunch of covers. One of the hardest sets I had to get through. I've been walking all day with 30+ degrees C in NY so it didn't help. But I've never felt so sleepy at a gig in my life.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Exclusive pre sale for those who preordered the album prior to today. If I remember correctly the email said that an email will be sent tomorrow, with another pre sale, before Fridays general sale.

Yup, was in my spam :) 

2 tickets for Manchester sorted 

http://fanfairalliance.org/

This link was included in the email. Interesting website that stands against ticket touting. Great to see that Marling also had a dedicated Twickets page for those who cannot make the gig and wish to sell for face value to other fans. It is high time this became the norm for gigs. Anyway, I may try for Brighton Dome in the morning. Failing that, I will hold out for Worthy Farm!

Edited by jyoung

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Really like the new album. All sorts of Nick Drake, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Joni Mitchell (Nouel could be on Blue) etc etc on there.

Very much not Pyramid music though. Where are we thinking? Not sure people will have the mental capacity to deal with a fairly folky singer songwriter gig as their last gig of the festival up in the Park?

Haven't listened yet but my copy is waiting for me at home

Park headliner I reckon. Not because that's the slot I most want for her but because it just seems to fit best.

However, if she does end up midway down on one of the other stages then I'd hope for JP as her sound wouldn't get lost like it probably would somewhere else (e.g the other stage).

Not sure that the JP bookers would have her in their thoughts though...

I could actually see her anywhere on the main 5 stages other than WH (obvs).

Low Pyramid, mid-Other, high JP, Park headline.

At the moment I side with Park headline, but that's partly due to that slot being the one I can think of the fewest realistic contenders for. It's also probably the most suitable stage for her style of music, I guess, based on the lineups they tend to book.