Laura Marling

the wonderwhy

43 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Looking forward to giving this a go tonight. I fucking love 'Short Movie'. The hype about this one sent me back to relisten to it this week. It's an absolute doozy of a record.

Be interested to hear your thoughts considering your dislike of all things Joni Mitchell.

Some of it sounds like it was recorded in Laurel Canyon in the early 70s. Crosby smoking weed and banging random Rogers, Stills and Young fighting in the barn about guitar sounds over a bottle of tequila, James Taylor nodding off in the haystack, Zappa and his harem recording it all and Graham Nash snooping around, self perpetuating a myth that hes one of the important players in the game. 

23 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Seen quite a few with really dodgy sound met others sounding spot on. No idea how it could vary so much and so often. 

Bit of a dumping ground really between the Park and the Avalon. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Be interested to hear your thoughts considering your dislike of all things Joni Mitchell.

Some of it sounds like it was recorded in Laurel Canyon in the early 70s. Crosby smoking weed and banging random Rogers, Stills and Young fighting in the barn about guitar sounds over a bottle of tequila, James Taylor nodding off in the haystack, Zappa and his harem recording it all and Graham Nash snooping around, self perpetuating a myth that hes one of the important players in the game.

I'm a fan of Joni Mitchell. I think Laura Marling is fine,  Sometimes Laura Marling sounds so uncannily like Joni Mitchell but this puts me off a bit, doesn't it you?  I saw Marling last year and I thought she was stunning but on record she leaves me cold.  TBF I haven't paid that much attention to her lyrics as she's only nine so no way has the life experience or acerbic quality of phrase that Mitchell does.  I guess with a few years on her she may get there and then I can take her seriously, but for now she's a bit of a tribute act.

I like a lot of things about Joni Mitchell, and obvious a ridiculously talented musician, but i find her voice unlistenable. I dunno why, there's just something about it that is like razor blades on glass for me. That and the fact 'i want to write you a letter, want to knit you a sweater' is one of the worst couplets ever written.

I mean, it's exactly what should be into, i adore Beth Orton for example (who this new LM album really reminds me of), but i just have an intensely visceral reaction against Joni's voice. 

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

From the guy who extols the virtues of 

The music's fading out

Last call for drinks I'll have another stout. 

Haha, i really struggle with that too, it always sticks out when i listen to it.

57 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

I'm a fan of Joni Mitchell. I think Laura Marling is fine,  Sometimes Laura Marling sounds so uncannily like Joni Mitchell but this puts me off a bit, doesn't it you?  I saw Marling last year and I thought she was stunning but on record she leaves me cold.  TBF I haven't paid that much attention to her lyrics as she's only nine so no way has the life experience or acerbic quality of phrase that Mitchell does.  I guess with a few years on her she may get there and then I can take her seriously, but for now she's a bit of a tribute act.

Yeah some tunes are very Joni but its a good influence to have I suppose? At least shes channeling folk Joni and not the later jazz era stuff which sucks fat balls in hell. 

Shes the same age as Joni was when she wrote Blue by the way!

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah some tunes are very Joni but its a good influence to have I suppose? At least shes channeling folk Joni and not the later jazz era stuff which sucks fat balls in hell. 

Shes the same age as Joni was when she wrote Blue by the way!

Ah, thing is I'm not that keen on Blue, I know I know. 

I prefer her at Don juan, Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejiira and all time favourite Court and Spark. 

Edited by Kizzie

Just now, Kizzie said:

Nah, she's a very fine story teller.

No doubt, one of the greats. I think Joni is in the Bowie/Kate Bush of chaotic genius bracket.

Strange time sigs, "speaky" delivery and melodic leaps make it a bit an effort for me at times is all Kiz. I won't mention chicken impressions.

39 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

No doubt, one of the greats. I think Joni is in the Bowie/Kate Bush of chaotic genius bracket.

Strange time sigs, "speaky" delivery and melodic leaps make it a bit an effort for me at times is all Kiz. I won't mention chicken impressions.

Well yes, one does sound completely mental when singing the melodic leaps in the shower, so I've been told.

Downloaded the new one for tomorrow's listening. Saw her supporting Neil Young last year and became a convert, couldn't be doing with her before that. I don't think early Pyramid is really that out of the question for her, she headlined the main stage at Green Man last year, I could see her translating that to a bigger field in daylight quite easily (nobody seemed to have told her she was the headliner though).

15 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Downloaded the new one for tomorrow's listening. Saw her supporting Neil Young last year and became a convert, couldn't be doing with her before that. I don't think early Pyramid is really that out of the question for her, she headlined the main stage at Green Man last year, I could see her translating that to a bigger field in daylight quite easily (nobody seemed to have told her she was the headliner though).

I think she did early Pyramid last time she played.

Never been into Marling before but I'm half way through the new album and this is fucking good.

I'm gonna create my own Sunday night Clashterfuck made up of acts I've gotten into via eFests in preparation for Glasto 17. Flaming Lips on John Peel, Marling on Park; just need Bon Iver to turn up unexpectedly on Other. Stupid.

Had a couple of listens over the weekend and a couple more today and my early thoughts are very positive.

There aren't any songs I don't like which wasn't the case with Short Movie (albeit only 2 or 3) but there are probably less clear standout moments.

I'll give it some time to settle but it seems like another superb LM album.

Roll on Friday!