Steel cups which bars?

themuel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth the 5 quid in my opinion. It should keep your bevvie colder for a lot longer.

likewise it should keep any warm liquid (morning coffee or tea) warmer for longer. Much better than drinking Luke warm booze from floppy cardboard cup or freezing cold tea from a styrofoam cup!

10 minutes ago, septemberwillow said:

Did they pull your pint straight into these cups? If the idea was to cut down on paper-cup wastage, I hope they did!

Do now wish I'd got one with the lanyard. Went past the stall at the Park a number of times :(

Not always, but I think this year was a good start. Lots of bars were not sure where you could get them from and others (rarely) claimed they were not allowed to pour into them, presumably for the advertising on the paper cups. 

Tried to use mine in a few bars with varying results.

I won't mention which bars, but it was all down to who served you if they had to pour into a paper one first.

Apparently it's a health and safety issue to put beer straight in a cup you have personally handed to them.

I'll leave it to the experts to explain that :)

9 hours ago, septemberwillow said:

Did they pull your pint straight into these cups? If the idea was to cut down on paper-cup wastage, I hope they did!

Do now wish I'd got one with the lanyard. Went past the stall at the Park a number of times :(

Can confirm that I pulled straight into metal mugs when offered them.

Wish I'd got one as well. Seemed daft that you could only get them from The Park. Fuck that hill in those conditions.

4 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Can confirm that I pulled straight into metal mugs when offered them.

Wish I'd got one as well. Seemed daft that you could only get them from The Park. Fuck that hill in those conditions.

William's Green info point on Sunday were selling them for £5 

aslo selling cup holsters and red strap

10 hours ago, Jennings74 said:

William's Green info point on Sunday were selling them for £5 

aslo selling cup holsters and red strap

Well darn it. I was working in the craft cider bar on Williams Green. Everyone who presented me with a cup said they'd got it from The Park.

20 hours ago, YetAnotherOldHippy said:

Tried to use mine in a few bars with varying results.

I won't mention which bars, but it was all down to who served you if they had to pour into a paper one first.

Apparently it's a health and safety issue to put beer straight in a cup you have personally handed to them.

I'll leave it to the experts to explain that :)

I think it's down to contact with the tap, especially with the swan type in pubs to control the head/foam. Wherever I presented my stein, it was filled directly, and no contact. I can see why some people followed H&S rules but there was no need. Tricketts' bar had loads of cups over the weekend; they were promoting them as the pint paper cups had gone.

I picked one up on the Thursday early in The Bimble Inn, and was able to get it refilled throughout the festival in the bars in The Park - however any bar I went into outside the Park would either not refill it, or fill it from a pre-poured paper cup - which kind of defeats the environmental rationale behind the initiative. I did find this a little frustrating.

However on the coach home, I was reading the magazine handed out upon entry  - it says this "All of the bars in the Park that are selling beer, cider and ale will be serving pints in reusable stainless steel cups...". Seems like it was a trial initiative only in the Park, hopefully to be extended in future years.

Kept mine, bit of a souvenir. You  could also buy souvenir sleeves for them.

I noticed some bars (e.g. the real ale tent in the acoustic field) would serve the beer into a plastic cup and then transfer the beer into your steel mug.  Presumably this was to prevent any contamination from your cup getting on the taps.

I've kept mine.  I thought it was brilliant, not quite as good as drinking out of a glass, but a million times better than a paper cup.  Also great to take camping.

Of course the MDUs in an awful lot of the bars dictate that it will have to go into a paper cup first for some products : It's impossible to pour a Tuborg or Thatchers in anything less than six half pints at a time for a lot of places.

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Well darn it. I was working in the craft cider bar on Williams Green. Everyone who presented me with a cup said they'd got it from The Park.

You might have served me! Which shifts were you on? Edit: whoever served me saw my cup and offered to pull the pint directly into it.

Edited by stuartbert two hats