Reef @ Shangri-La

maelzoid

I was a big fan of Reef back in the 90s and am glad I'll be able to catch them at Glastonbury this year.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised to see them on the lineup poster for Shangri La. I assumed that the naughty corner was almost exclusively dance (with the occasional something else in a small tent) and the idea of seeing a decent rock band at 2 in the morning is very appealing.  Can anyone shed any light on this...?  Have they had rock bands performing in Shangri La in the past? Would you expect them on the Hell Stage? Or maybe somewhere else?  don't tell me there's a DJ called Reef causing the confusion...

7 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I was a big fan of Reef back in the 90s and am glad I'll be able to catch them at Glastonbury this year.

I have to say I'm pretty surprised to see them on the lineup poster for Shangri La. I assumed that the naughty corner was almost exclusively dance (with the occasional something else in a small tent) and the idea of seeing a decent rock band at 2 in the morning is very appealing.  Can anyone shed any light on this...?  Have they had rock bands performing in Shangri La in the past? Would you expect them on the Hell Stage? Or maybe somewhere else?  don't tell me there's a DJ called Reef causing the confusion...

• I would like to see that myself :D

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As a result of the mass exodus?

24 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Think this must be the biggest overestimation of a band's popularity ever seen on efestivals. 

And that's saying something. 

Didn't think they'd get this much greef.

I'll get my coat.

36 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

They've had rock bands on the Hell Stage every year since it started in '13. Fat White Family played there last year at 4.10am Saturday night/Sunday morning. In fact I think they played a bit later than their scheduled time :lol:.

I don't think they got on until nearly 5am.

Mental set. Hope they're back this year!

This is all sounding great to me.  I'm not massively into dance music so the naughty corner has tended to be a bit of a novelty for me, apart from the occasional jazz or ska band I've caught (In the unfairground I think, though things were a bit hazy). Reef on the Hell stage - I'll be all over it.

can't say i know much more than Place Your Hands, but the idea of seeing Reef at 4am absolutely off my nut is too hilarious of an opportunity to pass up. knowing me i'll totally forget, like i do with all of these late night things, but if there's not much else catching my fancy then i'll definitely try and get to this

4 minutes ago, chestwig said:

They were very popular back in the day. Saw them on pyramid at my first ever Glastonbury in 2000.

do they actual have decent new material out?

according to Wikipedia they haven't released an album since 2003, so i'm gonna guess they're currently happy to just tour their old stuff over and over

14 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I don't see it being a crowding problem.... surely only rockers aged from 41 to 45 will really remember them, right?  And Chris Evans.

I fall *well* outside of that demographic and I'm pretty damn excited about Reef. Glow is a belter of an album.