Somnus Wanderer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dondo said:

Beautiful Days and when it was around Croissant Neuf

excellent I'm going to beautiful days this year

Boomtown when I went a few years ago also Standon calling,it's probably the smaller more independant that let you do this,some of them have a half hearted attempt like Latitude and NO6

30 minutes ago, Twisted Melon said:

Being able to take your own booze around the site is one of the many brilliant things about Glastonbury. Really can't be arsed with arena festivals and having to sneak booze past security anymore. Apart from Beatherder I really can't think of any others that you can take alcohol anywhere around the site. Are there any others you can think of?

Bearded Theory I think. And Shambala too I would have thought.

10 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Primed and ready to go :)

image.png

just ordered 3m of 6mm copper tube ...gonna try making a still got the demis full gonna try them first then some something else ...not sure wot yet but should be fun .....

7 hours ago, DeanoL said:

8 pints and 24 shot measures a day! That would literally kill me. I doubt I'd last the first day. I never realise how much of a lightweight I actually am until I see threads like this!

In fairness, I give away/share quite a bit with camp mates and strangers so maybe don't put that much away. But given I'm drinking for 12-14 hours a day it's pretty gentle paced to be fair.

8 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

My Booze list (for just me) is usually around 40 cans of cider/lager, 2 litres of spirits (whisky/spiced rum usually) and a 2 litre bottle of fresh orange, with 1 litre drank and replaced with a litre of vodka.  I still have to buy some on site though, but that's about right IMO.

I remember one year we took over 200 tins between 4 of us and a lot of it got left/given away.

do you buy much from the bars then?

For 2 of us we take around 48 cans, 2L of spirits, maybe ginger ale if bring jager, box of rose wine and the freeze 2 packs of capri suns and bottles of water - fills 2 cooler bags to the brim and we pretty much drink it all

but we do tend to drink cold pints from the bar too :D

25 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

In fairness, I give away/share quite a bit with camp mates and strangers so maybe don't put that much away. But given I'm drinking for 12-14 hours a day it's pretty gentle paced to be fair.

im the same we take loads but we are in a camper lol so we take 50% of our friends as well so we sleep in a moving offlicence [ although it doesnt move ] and we take peoples cases up to camp 2 every morning .......so it swings and roundabouts ...

if i took 48 cans id be going made mad by fri morning ....we dont really buy alot of drinks really but like 4assmonkey said we do hit a few local bars at certain times of the festi as meet ups....

5 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Whenever I have gone I've gone with 48 cans and a box of wine, get bored of warm cans pretty, pretty, pretty quickly 

as I said earlier freezing capri suns and water helps the beers keep cold, but must say only bring a few cans when out and about and coke bottle of spirit then but cold pints during day

5 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

as I said earlier freezing capri suns and water helps the beers keep cold, but must say only bring a few cans when out and about and coke bottle of spirit then but cold pints during day

I can never be arsed with a cool box, tend to rattle through my beers first and then I don't mind cider a bit warmer, went in a CV last year so the beers were never too much of an issue thankfully - alas, I won't be there this year so sadly won't have to find any solutions 

11 hours ago, sophlamb said:

I'm always shocked by how much people try to carry and end up abandoning. Because we drive we always take the camping stuff and a couple of drinks with us, have a beer while we get ourselves all set up, then a leisurely wander back to the car to collect everything else once the queues have quietened down a bit.

Yes I know what you mean - I have not made a scientific study on this but when people could camp by their car { 70's/early 80's } so there was no walking/carrying at all ' most people did not have loads of drink with them ' - each year I stand by Gate D onsite and watch it open for the first time and I do get the impression that more and more drink is being brought in - its like a bloody competition to be seen with a  bigger stash than other people.One sure thing from the early period is any drink left over ' we took back with us ' and we also would not dream of leaving any empty tents or camping gear - I am not sure when that started to be a trend.

A Couple of years ago right next to our crew camp there was about seven large tents in the public area { although they were not meant to camp there } and whoever was in them left the whole lot and just drove home on the Sunday - some were in the £150 bracket so not what you could describe as cheap - this was right beside Gate D so they could not get closer but they decided just to leave them - perhaps I am getting old but a group of friends { well they appeared to know each other } who could dump nearly a grands worth of tents just like that has more money than sense.People can bring what they want as long as they are prepared to carry the whole lot back to their car.

work55er5.jpg

56 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Yes I know what you mean - I have not made a scientific study on this but when people could camp by their car { 70's/early 80's } so there was no walking/carrying at all ' most people did not have loads of drink with them '

I remember doing that, so they must have still being doing it after say 86 as the first couple I went to I was still at college and got a lift with one of my parents.

I think anyone these days would find it extraordinary that back then a bunch of people on booze and/or drugs could drive their vehicles between other folks tents until they found a suitable spot :)

As you say, most didn't even take that much stuff, well except for the dealers with their large tents and the folks taking vans of beer to sell on.

13 hours ago, Twisted Melon said:

Being able to take your own booze around the site is one of the many brilliant things about Glastonbury. Really can't be arsed with arena festivals and having to sneak booze past security anymore. Apart from Beatherder I really can't think of any others that you can take alcohol anywhere around the site. Are there any others you can think of?

Bearded Theory is one to look up then!  Its awesome - its a bit like the Avalon areas of Glastonbury along with a load of other stuff.  Cheap as chips too!  Only takes 90 mins or so from us too (Im one junction down the M6 from your location!)

37 minutes ago, stuwilky said:

Bearded Theory is one to look up then!  Its awesome - its a bit like the Avalon areas of Glastonbury along with a load of other stuff.  Cheap as chips too!  Only takes 90 mins or so from us too (Im one junction down the M6 from your location!)

I like the sound of that! I'll check it out.

First year I tried to carry far too much from the car to the tent (had no idea quite how far it'd be!) and ended up having to rest every 2 minutes, then leave stuff with my girlfriend and coming back for it.

Second year I bought a trolley but one of the wheels broke off a quarter of the way there.

I haven't been for about 5 years but I remember a sack truck working for me a few times so will try that again this year.

11 hours ago, clarkete said:

I remember doing that, so they must have still being doing it after say 86 as the first couple I went to I was still at college and got a lift with one of my parents.

I think anyone these days would find it extraordinary that back then a bunch of people on booze and/or drugs could drive their vehicles between other folks tents until they found a suitable spot :)

As you say, most didn't even take that much stuff, well except for the dealers with their large tents and the folks taking vans of beer to sell on.

where I get mixed up is I was only a ticket holder up to 1987 and I know I had a crew onsite vehicle pass in 1989 so I would have been allowed to drive in anyway - having worked it since then I would not be aware when they stopped ticket holder's doing this.

As you know it was a far different layout back then so it was feasible just to drive in and park/camp - when they opened up the second exit { sometime in the 80's } I know we started parking/camping close to that exit so we could get a quick get away.  

At the time I drove a little Mini and I am still amazed that in no year did we get stuck { 85 was a very muddy year and we saw loads of cars completely stuck }

The biggest challenge was to be legal on the Monday for the drive back to London and in the muddy years the car was covered in mud so we must have stood out - although I used to dig most of the mud out as soon as we hit the first lay-by - in no year was I ever stopped - its just your luck.

I do recall the jokers with their ' vans of beer ' - in the hot years they must have been near boiling - never had any need to try and buy any.

Once they moved the crew camp it was easier just to catch the crew coach so there was only a few years where I had to move stuff from   a car in the staff car park so I never experienced parking and then doing the long slog into Gate D.

but it is interesting thinking back - with my mini and three passengers and a roof rack for the camping gear and some cans in the boot but we got by - no need at all to take a pallet load of drink.

59 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

where I get mixed up is I was only a ticket holder up to 1987 and I know I had a crew onsite vehicle pass in 1989 so I would have been allowed to drive in anyway - having worked it since then I would not be aware when they stopped ticket holder's doing this.

As you know it was a far different layout back then so it was feasible just to drive in and park/camp - when they opened up the second exit { sometime in the 80's } I know we started parking/camping close to that exit so we could get a quick get away.  

At the time I drove a little Mini and I am still amazed that in no year did we get stuck { 85 was a very muddy year and we saw loads of cars completely stuck }

The biggest challenge was to be legal on the Monday for the drive back to London and in the muddy years the car was covered in mud so we must have stood out - although I used to dig most of the mud out as soon as we hit the first lay-by - in no year was I ever stopped - its just your luck.

I do recall the jokers with their ' vans of beer ' - in the hot years they must have been near boiling - never had any need to try and buy any.

Once they moved the crew camp it was easier just to catch the crew coach so there was only a few years where I had to move stuff from   a car in the staff car park so I never experienced parking and then doing the long slog into Gate D.

but it is interesting thinking back - with my mini and three passengers and a roof rack for the camping gear and some cans in the boot but we got by - no need at all to take a pallet load of drink.

He he, that sounds brilliant.

I can recall that some folks in my first year had never seen bad weather so either had say their motorbike not far from the pyramid with just a bit of polythene draped across some string and that was their shelter for the nights.  Others had just the clothes they were wearing and planned to either crash on the grass or in the cinema tent.

I went with my mum and dad, as we were all selling cheese rolls and my old man came back marvelling at the blokes shouting about the various drugs they had for sale.  "What's black ash?"

On 28/04/2016 at 6:43 PM, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Out of interest why did you buy so much shit beer? Was it a bet?

It's reassuringly expensive

On 27 April 2016 at 5:14 PM, Somnus Wanderer said:

Hi, 

I'm Mark & this will be my first Glasto, little bit excited...

I've read that you can't take alcohol into the arena. Is this true?. Can this be circumvented, or will I have to pay £8.50 for a pint?

Cheers

That's one of my favourite things about the festival, once you're I you're in, separation between campsite and arenas.

Course, as with when in Rome, when in Somerset you'll have to visit the cider bus.

On 4/28/2016 at 11:33 PM, glasto-worker said:

A Couple of years ago right next to our crew camp there was about

seven large tents in the public area { although they were not meant to camp there } and whoever was in them left the whole lot and just drove home on the Sunday - some were in the £150 bracket so not what you could describe as cheap - this was right beside Gate D so they could not get closer but they decided just to leave them - perhaps I am getting old but a group of friends { well they appeared to know each other } who could dump nearly a grands worth of tents just like that has more money than sense.People can bring what they want as long as they are prepared to carry the whole lot back to their car.

work55er5.jpg

There was a year, I can't remember when, where they had a hair-brained idea for people to leave their tents to be used for disaster relief. What they didn't make clear was that they expected the tents to be in good condition, complete and to be taken down, packed up and handed in.

A lot of people just took the half story as the OK to just leave all their wreckage behind.

Hopefully by now the story is clearer - please take everything home.

I have never left so much as a tent peg - we always used to do a finger tip search of our camp area - and everything was taken home, if broken for repair.  I'm horrified and a bit ashamed when I see what people leave behind.  You wouldn't go to a party at someone's house and leave it in the state of Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

There was a year, I can't remember when, where they had a hair-brained idea for people to leave their tents to be used for disaster relief. What they didn't make clear was that they expected the tents to be in good condition, complete and to be taken down, packed up and handed in.

A lot of people just took the half story as the OK to just leave all their wreckage behind.

I have never left so much as a tent peg - we always used to do a finger tip search of our camp area - and everything was taken home, if broken for repair.  I'm horrified and a bit ashamed when I see what people leave behind.  You wouldn't go to a party at someone's house and leave it in the state of Glastonbury.

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Fully Agree - the only plus side to the story is the ones who set up the 'seven large tents' were asked to move by Security ' but failed to do so ' hence how we know they were left behind and once no one showed up within 24 hours they were taken down - I think two ended up with Oxfam - three ended up with Security and a WBC Organiser ended up with two as he had space in his car - the two he got was Vango - they even left all their Cooking gear.We had a fence cover up so no one saw them pitch - nor did anyone spot them leaving - must have been windy because the cover blew down on the Sunday and there was this mystery camp complex that was completely empty - they would have been unaware that the other side of that fence was our recycling and rubbish dump area - its the only year we have spotted any tents there.

Within our Crew Camp we make bloody certain that everything is removed as GFL will fine us if there is rubbish left behind so the camp is inspected prior to the last Portacabin being removed.

I also cant understand why people leave so much behind.