Blossoms. Any good live??

4AssedMonkey

10 hours ago, alexfc94 said:

Saw these guys at 6 Music Festival and they were a class act. They've had a few really good singles so far and I wouldn't be surprised if they're massive by the time their album comes out

Wanted to catch them there but missed out, love Blossoms, they have a great sound. Did manage to get to the Everything Everything/Foals day though (think it was the Sunday), it was pretty cool, they did the venue up well.

8 hours ago, pc3036 said:

He's a very good judge on new music is old mr brown. He ended up doing roadie duties for my sons band at a recent gig 

That he is. A very good egg is Dave. I'm intrigued by Blossoms as he really does love them and i tend to trust his judgement when it comes to matters indie.

I think this may be the first time I've read anyone bad mouth SFA on here, it's usually a love in!

I love and have always loved them, but do realise that they can be very leftfield.  I love that oddball creativity and it works for me, but some people just don't hear the genius in it.

Slightly disagree with you Scruffy on The Charlatans.  The new album is great, but it is the best thing they've done by a mile since Tellin' Stories, so I take your point.

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

SFA leftfield?  Blimey.  Big pop tunes a-go-go, more like.

There's that side too.  In fact, there's most sides - ballads, pop, dancey bordering on techno.  Some of my mates who have a bit more mainstream indie/britpop/rock taste just don't "get" the slightly unconventional structures and sounds.  I effin' love them.

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

There's that side too.  In fact, there's most sides - ballads, pop, dancey bordering on techno.  Some of my mates who have a bit more mainstream indie/britpop/rock taste just don't "get" the slightly unconventional structures and sounds.  I effin' love them.

I think that's it - SFA are a blend of pop and leftfield. The leftfield stuff is great, but I can see why people new to the band would be a bit alienated by Mwng for example...

On 20/04/2016 at 1:33 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

So whilst spotifying and youtubing through the lineup last night, listened to some stuff from Blossoms.  Having only heard Charlemagne previously and thought it was OK, I was pleasantly surprised.  Some good little pop tunes.  Anyone ever seen them and were they any good?

great drum n bass act, and they were even better once the sound guys turned on the amp for the guitarist - up to that point i was stunned by the chops of the bassist - a proper band that know their stuff. worth seeing

Edited by 5co77ie

57 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

I think that's it - SFA are a blend of pop and leftfield. The leftfield stuff is great, but I can see why people new to the band would be a bit alienated by Mwng for example...

Thing is, though, Mwng is a collection of short, snappy tuneful melodies.   Unless you're using "leftfield" as a shorthand for "not sung in English"......

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Leftfield was probably the wrong term as I realise that they aren't that "out there", but whereas a lot of acts stick to fairly conventional intro/verse/bridge/verse/chorus etc. and bog standard keys/guitar/bass sounds SFA don't do that.  They're more inventive but never lose the melody and groove thing and sometimes go off on one.  Like the end of Receptacle for the Respectable for instance.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thing is, though, Mwng is a collection of short, snappy tuneful melodies.   Unless you're using "leftfield" as a shorthand for "not sung in English"......

Well for English speaking music fans (or even people used to English lyrics i.e. most people), it is a bit leftfield! It was a lazy example though. I basically wouldn't say SFA are a 'pop' band in the cheesy/mainstream use of the word, melodic probably a better turn of phrase. 

Saw Blossoms at the Bournemouth Old Fire Station earlier this year.  They've not got tons of material yet, but pretty decent stuff what they have and quite a tight unit too.  Worth checking out.   It was a bit weird with the Viola Beach situation who were killed on the Sunday prior to the gig on the Wednesday

11 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sometimes I wonder if your ears actually work. Admittedly the Charlatans were very good at their peak (for about 1.5 albums) but live they've been going through the motions for years. SFA were great at Glastonbury and I can't wait to see them next week

My ears are goosed mate. That's what Sennheiser HD 25's do to you. Had to stop using headphones at home many years ago.

SFA were not for me. There were just so many other quality alternatives at the time that I could just not get into them. I thought'The Man Don't Give A Fuck' was ace when they did it live, all dressed in their Womble suits. The Charlatans absolutely blew them away though last year. You are right, they have just been going through the motions for a few years and it's a shame it seems to have taken the death of Jon Brookes to give them a kick up the arse.

SFA and Noel were great last night. Fairly short set by SFA, but very good. The Man Don't Give A Fuck was glorious. Great tribute by Noel getting the crowd to sing Live Forever for Prince as well. 

I absolutely love blossoms. Saw them first at gorilla in Manchester last March and was very impressed. Seen them 6 more times since then, mainly as support for other bands, and they just get better and better. They've got huge radio 1 support to so not surprised they're on the other stage

at most a kiss is my favourite, but I love the new one getaway and blown rose. In fact, I like every single recorded song they've done so far. An ongoing 100% record, and a new song jumps out st me each gig 

there's a song called my favourite room which I love - they've played each time I've seen them but haven't released yet. I'm assuming it's being saved for the album and will have a load of production. It sounds like it could be an epic  

Wouldn't be surprised if they are on the Thursday Williams green too, seem the right size/hype for a second slot 

Edited by efcfanwirral

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Blossoms on Saturday at Live at Leeds and they were possibly the highlight of the day. Would definitely go see them again