Weather 2016

Keithy

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, fur_q said:

For RAF Yeovilton (the closest weather station) 

Wed  : 5.6mm

Thu : 0mm

Fri : 12mm

Sat : <0.1mm

Sun : 0.8mm

*days = 6:00-5:59

Cheers! :)

If that held good for the festival site there was about 5mm more than the mean rainfall that had been predicted on the Tuesday but massively less than the worst case scenario.

576989e3d112e_finalmeanmax.JPG.c292d0781

10 hours ago, musky said:

Cheers! :)

If that held good for the festival site there was about 5mm more than the mean rainfall that had been predicted on the Tuesday but massively less than the worst case scenario.

576989e3d112e_finalmeanmax.JPG.c292d0781

Just wondering if the Friday figure includes the deluge that fell in the early hours of Saturday morning? I'm thinking maybe not, considering what fell at about 8.30am was far more than <0.1mm! And from what I saw on the radar (pictured a few pages back) That rain formed such a thin strip which passed horizontally directly overhead, it probably didn't register in Yeovil... Total was maybe more like 23-24mm (as a complete and utter guess!)

We were very lucky.

The rainbow we had over the site was due to the 25 mm of rain dumped in the next valley - and we got none of that.

Also, on the Friday two huge storms passed very close by and just missed the site so again very lucky.

Add to that the forecast of very heavy rain from Sunday afternoon and we really did get lucky.

It could have been so much worse and thankfully I remembered to cover myself in factor 30 every morning so have a nice suntan and no burnt bits.

As stated I ran the query splitting days at 6am BST so the Friday total would have included the rain that fell in the early hours of Saturday morning. It started at 4:45 (I know this as I have a text from a friend still on my phone saying they where going to bed because it was raining). I left the venue I was in at about 5 and walked back in the rain and it seemed to have stopped by the time I went to sleep at 6:30

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We were very lucky.

The rainbow we had over the site was due to the 25 mm of rain dumped in the next valley - and we got none of that.

Also, on the Friday two huge storms passed very close by and just missed the site so again very lucky.

Add to that the forecast of very heavy rain from Sunday afternoon and we really did get lucky.

It could have been so much worse and thankfully I remembered to cover myself in factor 30 every morning so have a nice suntan and no burnt bits.

We where very lucky. Wednesday and Thursday nights had huge thunderstorms that missed us by about 30 miles, and caused localised flossing in London. 

5 minutes ago, fur_q said:

We where very lucky. Wednesday and Thursday nights had huge thunderstorms that missed us by about 30 miles, and caused localised flossing in London. 

Localised flossing!!!!

Bloody hell we were lucky :D

531-300x219.jpg

Edited by Nobody Interesting

2 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Yeah the rain can get in your teeth alright. 

There were a few really dodgy rain patches just over the north of the festival at times that just missed us. 

21 minutes ago, fur_q said:

As stated I ran the query splitting days at 6am BST so the Friday total would have included the rain that fell in the early hours of Saturday morning. It started at 4:45 (I know this as I have a text from a friend still on my phone saying they where going to bed because it was raining). I left the venue I was in at about 5 and walked back in the rain and it seemed to have stopped by the time I went to sleep at 6:30

Ah, I missed the asterix! There was definitely brief but heavy rain showers at around 8.30am though, wasn't there? That's what woke me up. I slept through the prolonged rain in the earlier hours - my husband told me about it in the morning.

Either way, as stated by a few already, we were definitely lucky with more than a couple of huge storms skirting right past us. Pretty rainbow, though...!

Apart from sunday the weather was much better than we could have dared hope for. I've got a lovely tan from that week. Shame we couldnt have swapped the monday and sunday round. We spend monday in the area and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Just a major pisser you could never sit down on the grass. 

25 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Apart from sunday the weather was much better than we could have dared hope for. I've got a lovely tan from that week. Shame we couldnt have swapped the monday and sunday round. We spend monday in the area and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Just a major pisser you could never sit down on the grass. 

Given the weather reports for the evening on Sunday lunchtime (5 hours of heavy rain with an hour of drizzle each side), Sunday was one of the biggest misses of all!

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We were very lucky.

How good was that rainbow! Covered the whole festival during Tame Impala playing Let it happen whilst the sun was setting. One of my all time Glastonbury moments that very nearly shed a tear! 

36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Given the weather reports for the evening on Sunday lunchtime (5 hours of heavy rain with an hour of drizzle each side), Sunday was one of the biggest misses of all!

Definitely! Remember looking at a couple of weather apps that said rain from 6pm carrying on until the early hours. Instead we got a couple of hours in the afternoon and I was in a tent for most of it. Had my poncho on for about an hour tops.

39 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Aye, I remember seeing the weather forecast first thing in the morning and being gripped by terror!

All in all, probably one of the better years weather wise. Just a terrible shame it was never enough to dry the place out.

For me mud is far more important than weather. Usually the two are very closely intertwined so no need to make the distinction but this year we had a situation where the awful mud was there from the outset.

With rain you can just waterproof up or head inside one of the many indoor areas. Mud however there's not much you can do about and this year it was tiring, significantly increased walk times between stages, increased chances of falling in mud etc. If anything the slightly drier and occasionally sunny conditions made the mud bake a lot more making it harder to walk in.