Worthy View Review

Jamieyorkshire

Never felt urge to post on here before, but this step too far for me. Not safe. Total rubbish and really insulting to the festival. Maybe some years ago you could of said the festival wasn't safe but now it's probably safer than anywhere else in the rest of the country. Took my 18 year old daughter and her friends this year, hardly saw her but knew she was totally safe.

Tent thefts, I take many of these stories with a pinch of salt. I suspect most of these people have just lost their stuff when out of it. My daughter thought she had stuff stolen too, but she had just left it in our tent.

I think one of the reasons people take offence to those camping outside the festival is that there is a real sense of community at Glastonbury, which you just don't find at many other so called festivals, which in my opinion are just concerts in fields with camping. It's a magical place and it takes something away when we aren't all in it together. Especially in the mud bath years. It's not easy sometimes. That's the point. Hauling your stuff in. Suffering a bit even with whatever conditions the weather is throwing at us. We dig deep and find it in ourselves to have a good time anyway, and learn things about ourselves, and if you aren't prepared to do that then you have missed the most important thing about Glastonbury.

I post few and far between Charm,cannot be arsed with trolling dickheads and disingenuous pricks, yours is a blinder of a post.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never felt urge to post on here before, but this step too far for me. Not safe. Total rubbish and really insulting to the festival. Maybe some years ago you could of said the festival wasn't safe but now it's probably safer than anywhere else in the rest of the country. Took my 18 year old daughter and her friends this year, hardly saw her but knew she was totally safe.

Tent thefts, I take many of these stories with a pinch of salt. I suspect most of these people have just lost their stuff when out of it. My daughter thought she had stuff stolen too, but she had just left it in our tent.

I think one of the reasons people take offence to those camping outside the festival is that there is a real sense of community at Glastonbury, which you just don't find at many other so called festivals, which in my opinion are just concerts in fields with camping. It's a magical place and it takes something away when we aren't all in it together. Especially in the mud bath years. It's not easy sometimes. That's the point. Hauling your stuff in. Suffering a bit even with whatever conditions the weather is throwing at us. We dig deep and find it in ourselves to have a good time anyway, and learn things about ourselves, and if you aren't prepared to do that then you have missed the most important thing about Glastonbury.

Great first post.

Thanks

we are all in it together.WV is part of the festival, and owned by GF. some people want to camp there, some dont. and some really dont and hate the people that do for some reason.  others want to camp in Tangerine or elsewhere.  Whats the problem? we live in a capitalist society where people have choice.

the main site is as safe as anywhere in the world on the whole, apart from the fact that tent theft is a problem. its naive to suggest that people are "just out of it" and that because it hasnt happened to you then it hasnt happened, which is just plain condescing to those unfortunate to have it happen to them. 

Ahh!

We are all equal, but some are more equal than others :)

The idea was that if successful, the concept would be rolled out to similar sized camping fields next year. You can see the communial circles and their interconnecting paths on some of the aerial shots taken this year.

I've emailed the young greens about this but I'd like to volunteer for next year, if you can put me on a more direct route than the general email they have that would be a blinder. 

Love this forum.

Thanks guys.

Charm x

Do you have a brother called Strange? Edited by frostypaw

we are all in it together.WV is part of the festival, and owned by GF. some people want to camp there, some dont. and some really dont and hate the people that do for some reason.  others want to camp in Tangerine or elsewhere.  Whats the problem? we live in a capitalist society where people have choice.

the main site is as safe as anywhere in the world on the whole, apart from the fact that tent theft is a problem. its naive to suggest that people are "just out of it" and that because it hasnt happened to you then it hasnt happened, which is just plain condescing to those unfortunate to have it happen to them.

Last time I checked WV and Tangerine fields are outside the fence. Hate is a really strong word to use. Don't think anyone has suggested that. Seems that you don't like people thinking it's weird that anyone would want to camp outside the festival. I know camper vans are outside the fence too, but I am sure even they would prefer to be able to drive them onto the site like they used to.

Charm x

I don't care where you come from or where you choose to camp

Just enjoy the festival and have fun.

If you're not keen on the types than camp offsite then don't mix with them! (I'm sure you will recognise them somehow)

Love

Steve x

No Frosty. Don't really get what you are asking but my brother is called Dean.

He is a bit strange but we have got used to it.

Charm x

It's a poor particle physics gag lol sorry. All the interesting people are a bit strange though I reckon

There were 7 of them, all linked by paths that we kept open over the Wed and Thur until people were all camped up. These then served as conduits through Pennards making access easier. Each of the 7 'circles' had a different sort of personality and group running them - all had a campfire and communial chilling, cooking and even little makeshift stages in some cases. The concept was an official one and put together by the Green Party (we even received a visit from Natalie Bennett at one point). The idea was that if successful, the concept would be rolled out to similar sized camping fields next year. You can see the communial circles and their interconnecting paths on some of the aerial shots taken this year.

Wow that's the first I've heard about that - I was camped in pennards and saw the pathways and thought what a good idea  it was but had no idea all that was going on.

Thinking about it I remember walking past one of the fireplaces on the way out and being impressed that someone had managed to have a decent fire on pennards!

What a great idea.

It's a poor particle physics gag lol sorry. All the interesting people are a bit strange though I reckon

Wow that's the first I've heard about that - I was camped in pennards and saw the pathways and thought what a good idea  it was but had no idea all that was going on.

Thinking about it I remember walking past one of the fireplaces on the way out and being impressed that someone had managed to have a decent fire on pennards!

What a great idea.

On different levels I like both of these. A lot.

Why is being inside or outside of the fence the dividing line, that Beans on Toast song aside?

They have to suffer that hill, which would be bloody tough in mud bath years. They have showers, but there are showers on site too. I mean, don't the people in the Pennards have it easy? They're camped right in the middle of everything, can just saunter back to their tent in ten minutes if they want a change of clothes or a lie down, why don't they camp on the outskirts of the festival like the rest of us? Where it takes some effort?

People queue from bloody 4am in the morning to get the 'best' camping spots, so your notion that every spot inside the fence is somehow equal is clearly barmy!

Last time I checked WV and Tangerine fields are outside the fence. Hate is a really strong word to use. Don't think anyone has suggested that. Seems that you don't like people thinking it's weird that anyone would want to camp outside the festival.

You're right, but that's because I value the sense of community at Glastonbury and believe we're all in it together, and don't try and exclude people from that community based on where they choose to camp.

They're types of quark arn't they?

Frosty - I'll ask if there is a more direct contact for you. Not sure if you need to be a member of the Green Party first or not though.

Yeah, a mate of mine knew them by virtue of being in a choir who performed at Glasto this year so camped with them from the weekend before the festi and helped them set it all up. I joined them on Wednesday. Really sound bunch and I hope the idea is repeated next year.

They're types of quark arn't they?

Frosty - I'll ask if there is a more direct contact for you. Not sure if you need to be a member of the Green Party first or not though.

Yup, it's all I could think of the moment I saw it :/ I'll get me coat

Thanks though, that'd be ace. Wanted a way to give back for a while and that fits very nicely with my current line of glasto-thinking. Cheers

Why is being inside or outside of the fence the dividing line, that Beans on Toast song aside?

I'm not sure it is, it's just the easy label. It's more an inside/outside mentality - those that think it's too scummy inside for them are the target and i'm not sure it's even of anger

more for me at least a frustration that many of them are missing a big bit of the point that a lot of people have alluded to here. that equality - the breaking down of that momentary "er what sort of freak am i about to talk to" that lets that community build so well

heck i know people who camp inside who manage to live it like that, they're just at high-exposure to possible mind-altering situatiosn as is

i'm rambling. sorry.

I saw and heard plenty inside the fence who appeared to be looking down their noses at people so I don't think it's confined to just WV or the other campsites outside the fence. The Sunday crowd are a prime example - most of them will never truly get the festival - some never leave the Pyramid field. Aren't most of the WV crowd just there because they think (maybe mistakenly) that they'll get a better camping experience and are happy to pay a bit extra for that and for slightly more convenience. The same goes for the people in the Camper Van field. I can't really see anything wrong with that.

I live close enough to the site to walk home each night if I wanted, but I choose to camp within the festival fence (may be taking up a valuable camping space un-necessarily) but if I didn't, I might be tempted by WV or similar, not because I'm better than anyone else (I'm obviously not), but because I find it increasingly difficult to bring all our camping stuff in and out each year. WV would provide an attractive alternative for me and my wife. We've both 'done' the real festival experience for over 20 years so there won't be any looking down on people if we ever did decide to go the WV route.

Edited by Ommadawn

Personally I cant imagine being outside the fence, and I don't think I'll ever do so apart from maybe trying campervan one year though I think I'd regret it. 

However, my parents are thinking of going next year and they've never camped in their life. I don't think they could hack normal camping, they'd need something a bit more comfortable (and my Dad's back wouldn't stand up to the floor/airbed, and as a result nor would it stand up to carrying the amount of stuff needed into the site never mind a camp bed as well) so I think WV would be perfect for them. My mum also has osteoporosis so the whole thing would be an absolute nightmare for them, but only the getting in, carrying, setting up etc. 

They want it to be their summer holiday next year, luckily they dont care much about the sun as id be surprised if we get a second good one in a row! Parking nearer where they camp, bit more luxury etc would make the experience more enjoyable for them as they love music, love the sound of the place as a whole and have always wanted to come. They have no camping equipment so to get something comfortable plus sleeping bags, rucksacks etc (a pop up 2 man from Tesco isn't exactly going to cut it for the reasons mentioned) they've practically paid for Worthy View there and would get the exact same usage out of their new equipment!

Its a shame they didnt get this inspiration to come in 2009 as Springsteen would've been their dream headliner but hopefully they'll get one of their favourites.

They've been to a few festivals non-camping (V last two years and Hop Farm) and loved it, so they'll get involved they just physically can't hack the admittedly testing start and end. I'm sure people will say "well we all have to do it" but I don't see why admittedly relatively minor health issues should stop someone enjoying the place and risk physically damaging them

Like I say, I would never under any circumstances do Worthy View, to the point where if the people I was going with wanted to do it I'd camp on-site on my own and meet them. But I'm just offering a more balanced view of why somebody might want to use Worthy View away from being scared of toilets, needing showers and looking down on everyone else!

Edited by efcfanwirral

more for me at least a frustration that many of them are missing a big bit of the point that a lot of people have alluded to here. that equality - the breaking down of that momentary "er what sort of freak am i about to talk to" that lets that community build so well

The people in WV don't spend the entire festival there! They come onto the site and once they're inside are entirely indistinguishable from anyone else.

No one is making the same argument about Camplite or the Tipi Villiage either, the other official glamping areas, because they're inside the fence.

People are literally judging based on which side of an entirely arbitrary fence you're on. WV even had an easy-pass-out system this year, making it far more "part of the festival" than the campervan fields. I'm positive the only reason Glastonbury didn't move the fence was that it was a bit of a faff, but I can certainly see that happening in future years, at which point this will all look very stupid.

All the West camping fields (Rivermead, Bushy, Pylon) were outside the fence at some point in the past too, so it's not even about geography or land. It's literally about a fence.

It's a magical place and it takes something away when we aren't all in it together. Especially in the mud bath years. It's not easy sometimes. That's the point. Hauling your stuff in. Suffering a bit even with whatever conditions the weather is throwing at us. We dig deep and find it in ourselves to have a good time anyway, and learn things about ourselves, and if you aren't prepared to do that then you have missed the most important thing about Glastonbury.

People's ability to deal with the "suffering" will vary too. A mud bath doesn't mean we're all in it together - it means young, fit people will still be pretty much alright while those elderly and out of shape suffer.

Someone in our group this year did the festival on crutches. Not sure I could have done that myself, was genuinely impressed. At no point did she suggest that everyone else on site should break one of their feet too, so that we could all be in it together with her.

The people in WV don't spend the entire festival there! They come onto the site and once they're inside are entirely indistinguishable from anyone else.

No one is making the same argument about Camplite or the Tipi Villiage either, the other official glamping areas, because they're inside the fence.

People are literally judging based on which side of an entirely arbitrary fence you're on. WV even had an easy-pass-out system this year, making it far more "part of the festival" than the campervan fields. I'm positive the only reason Glastonbury didn't move the fence was that it was a bit of a faff, but I can certainly see that happening in future years, at which point this will all look very stupid.

All the West camping fields (Rivermead, Bushy, Pylon) were outside the fence at some point in the past too, so it's not even about geography or land. It's literally about a fence.

Indistinguishable apart from their freshly showered bodies and blow dried hair.

Glamping creates an unnecessary division it's undeniable. Why do you think there were reports of the people in the tipis getting heckled the year before last?

It's actually quite upsetting reading some of this 'us and them' stuff. Like I said, we camped on WV as first timers to dip our toe in the water of the Glasto experience. At no point until I came on this forum did I ever get the idea anyone would think we weren't 'joining in' or that we weren't all in it together.

The fact we were outside the fence was barely noticeable to be honest. Those on here judging us for this decision are the ones coming across as snobby and snarky, not those of us who felt like it was the better option for us. People keep going on about it not being in the spirit of the festival to stay at WV - what do you care? How did you even know the difference? Did us staying there adversely affect your enjoyment?

It's like those straight people who campaign against gay marriage - why are you even bothered if you're happy anyway?!

Indistinguishable apart from their freshly showered bodies and blow dried hair.

Glamping creates an unnecessary division it's undeniable. Why do you think there were reports of the people in the tipis getting heckled the year before last?

Do you judge people by what they look like and where they come from all the time or is it just at Glastonbury?

Do you judge people by what they look like and where they come from all the time or is it just at Glastonbury?

not really what they look like, but yeah, I'm afraid I do judge people by whether they use the same services or think it's OK to pay for private education or private healthcare. That's a closer (albeit still imperfect) analogy, I think.