Chair People 2015 ...

st dan

That must be the most ridiculous 'moral' a story I've ever heard!! I watch an act I want to see, regardless of what stage they're on.

So you're saying I shouldn't go and watch Lionel Richie, just because he's not on The Glade or the likes?

Surely there are many, many other good reasons not to watch Lionel Ritchie!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That must be the most ridiculous 'moral' a story I've ever heard!! I watch an act I want to see, regardless of what stage they're on.

So you're saying I shouldn't go and watch Lionel Richie, just because he's not on The Glade or the likes?

Has got a point though, it's only really the Pyramid where it's massively prevalent (maybe Acoustic, have experienced chairs in there a few times). 

It's silly to say 'avoid it', but it did put me off a bit of going to Lionel - such effort to get in and out of the field. Went in the end and managed to get a decent spot, but only after the great struggle past chairs and blankets. 

What about these people...

Groups who all hold hands whilst dancing and won't let you pass

What about people who think they are invincible because they ate high or drunk

Or even those who think because they have glitter everywhere you should

Oh and those in fancy dress who think you need them singing at you being cause they are in disguise

Heck, even those who line up across pathways for the toilet, food stall or similar

And those who get their food or drink and don't move away from the stall or again block the path outside say the cider bus

Shit and those people who sit down on a whole empty table or bench and "save it" for their mates who are in a queue for the next 15 minutes

And those fuckers who stand behind you talking when someone is on who you want to listen to

People who joke the Dalai Lama looks like Yoda

I could go on, hopefully you have got my point, someone will always be pissed off no matter how hard you try to be a good person or do the things you they need to do to have a good festival. Just deep breath and smile, think if the Glastonbury Spirit. If they stopped all the things each and every one of us found annoying it wouldn't be Glastonbury.

Peace to you all, even the ones who will have a go at me for posting this.

Has got a point though, it's only really the Pyramid where it's massively prevalent (maybe Acoustic, have experienced chairs in there a few times).

It's silly to say 'avoid it', but it did put me off a bit of going to Lionel - such effort to get in and out of the field. Went in the end and managed to get a decent spot, but only after the great struggle past chairs and blankets.

So by saying this, you're admitting that the chair and blanket people are potentially stopping you from seeing an act you wanted to see, yeah?

And this is the exact issue with the chairs and blankets. It's so selfish and means people like you are missing out on acts you would like to see. It's just wrong.

Edited by st dan

If i'm honest, it was not the chair people which annoyed me this year it was these lot...

I can not stress how much this annoyed me at the chemical brothers, but if you're gonna bring your bag to a set at night... please don't act so offended when someone (in the dark) trips over it. Multiple times i'd trip or catch my foot on someones bag and they'd look at me all offended.

WHY DO YOU NEED YOUR BAG THERE?? Why do you need a massive bag for a headline slot? I don't think I wandered round with more than sunglasses, phone, wallet and a pocket poncho... what more could you need?

It just annoyed me quite a bit how some acted so offended when a massive rucksack has no place on the ground of a very active nighttime festival performance.

Two words: tent thefts.

What about these people...

Groups who all hold hands whilst dancing and won't let you pass

What about people who think they are invincible because they ate high or drunk

Or even those who think because they have glitter everywhere you should

Oh and those in fancy dress who think you need them singing at you being cause they are in disguise

Heck, even those who line up across pathways for the toilet, food stall or similar

And those who get their food or drink and don't move away from the stall or again block the path outside say the cider bus

Shit and those people who sit down on a whole empty table or bench and "save it" for their mates who are in a queue for the next 15 minutes

And those fuckers who stand behind you talking when someone is on who you want to listen to

People who joke the Dalai Lama looks like Yoda

I could go on, hopefully you have got my point, someone will always be pissed off no matter how hard you try to be a good person or do the things you they need to do to have a good festival. Just deep breath and smile, think if the Glastonbury Spirit. If they stopped all the things each and every one of us found annoying it wouldn't be Glastonbury.

Peace to you all, even the ones who will have a go at me for posting this.

He does though.

I will admit I do take a backpack with me...but then I carry plenty of stuff and can't afford to buy beer at the bars all day. However I keep it on my back unless there's loads of space and am not arsed if people kick it. I normally apologise to people trying to get through for being in their way.

yep

both me and the other person I was with have medical equipment which we needed to have bags with us all day of every day for

then when it's as hot as it was on some days of this fest it's not sensible to leave yourself with queuing up for bars as the only option for rehydration

We did do our best not to let it get in people's way, but sometimes couldn't help it.

Edited by Zac Quinn

So by saying this, you're admitting that the chair and blanket people are potentially stopping you from seeing an act you wanted to see, yeah?

And this is the exact issue with the chairs and blankets. It's so selfish and means people like you are missing out on acts you would like to see. It's just wrong.

They're a pain in the ass at one of the best places in the world. I thought to myself 'can I be arsed?' after Dolly last year and the hyping of Lionel's set. Knew it was going to be rammed with 'chair people'. I'm convinced that if it wasn't for the chair/blanket users, crowd movement before and after these types of acts would be so much easier. 

I made a relatively last minute decision after Patti to see Lionel so didn't miss out in the end, but I imagine people were in the same situation as me and went somewhere quieter. 

On the backpack point, it's easy to travel light if you can nip back to your tent but leaving the campervan fields, you're out for the day and so, I take a smallish one with poncho, jumper and red wine for the evening as well as the other suncream, loo roll etc. Sometimes, I'll drop stuff off in the lockers but if you don't know where you're going to end up, that becomes less appealing.

On the subject of chairs, I don't object in between acts of if it's not rammed as 4 chairs may well take up less space than a large picnic blanket but, it's when those 4 chairs then move forward (to the next row of chairs) leaving a 5ft gap and then get very cross when people trip over their chairs on the way through. Just fold them away FFS!

They're a pain in the ass at one of the best places in the world. I thought to myself 'can I be arsed?' after Dolly last year and the hyping of Lionel's set. Knew it was going to be rammed with 'chair people'. I'm convinced that if it wasn't for the chair/blanket users, crowd movement before and after these types of acts would be so much easier.

I made a relatively last minute decision after Patti to see Lionel so didn't miss out in the end, but I imagine people were in the same situation as me and went somewhere quieter.

We were about half way back and central for Lionel. Walked through a sea of chairs and blankets about 10 mins before he came on to much tutting and disapproving. However when he came up and everyone stood up there was plenty of room for everyone.

The Accoustic for Moody Blues was a sea of chairs. One lady got very arsey with me first for standing too close to her chair, so I moved... in front of it. She got especially annoyed when I pointed out that chairs weren't allowed in the tent anyway.

The acoustic tent seems to be very middle class crowd some of the looks I get up there could turn a man to stone! It states outside no chairs in the tent people still take them in! It's annoying the tent always looks rammed but most of it is full of these tits on chairs in rows and rows like proms in the park! Everyone else has to squeeze round the sides, you get all sorts of comments if you try and get past them!

I wish... Took me 20mins to get out of the field when he came on and I was 80% up the hill. Chairs along the walkway at the top and no stewarding at all.

I'm relatively ambivalent about chairs...

BUT

Leaving them sat empty when they fold away so easily is a real bug bear. I only clattered into one this year - I probably got tutted at, but my conscience is clear.

The Springsteen year I was wiped out by about 10 left in a line in the pitch black...

We had a blanket up near the back disabled platform but I didn't really care if anyone stood on it, jumped across it or what ever just give us a smile and it's fine, always shrunk it down when music was on. Noticed 2 people on chairs behind us who had been there all morning and during Lionel some guy stood in front of them and they went crazy, I felt really sorry for the bloke as he was obviously just looking for his mates....totally uncalled for anger, about how dare he block 'their' view!

Leaving the chemicals last night there were 3 groups of chair w*nkers to the right of the mixing desk.

Each group where stood behind their fold up chairs and during the set I saw at least half a dozen people fall over them whilst trying to leave.

You'd think after the first person had gone ass over tit they might have thought we better fold our chairs up but no they were there right to the end.

I can almost understand someone parking themselves at the pyramid up on he hill but at the other stage when the chemical brothers are playing?!

Some people are just inconsiderate twats.

The acoustic tent seems to be very middle class crowd some of the looks I get up there could turn a man to stone! It states outside no chairs in the tent people still take them in!

There's is actually a special marked out chair zone in the acoustic tent in front of the sound desk. The problem I find because it is no chairs inside the tent everyone lines their chairs up outside the tent which blocks entrances and exits. Although I only saw that during the proclaimers this year.

The acoustic tent seems to be very middle class crowd some of the looks I get up there could turn a man to stone! It states outside no chairs in the

tent people still take them in! It's annoying the tent always looks rammed but most of it is full of these tits on chairs in rows and rows like proms in the park! Everyone else has to squeeze round the sides, you get all sorts of comments if you try and

get past them!

Maybe Glastonbury has become more middle class?

Certainly been going that way for a number of years; adapt and overcome is what I say, rather than get stressed over it.