Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

18 minutes ago, mjsell said:

the decision to go 5th typifies in a very small instance why I'm never going to fully see him as the 'greatest footballer' (of all time or currently). 

There is also this, European football records before and after Messi:

foto-completa-futbol-antes-despu%25C3%25

Edited by lost

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know people have different opinions and all that but the difference between them two is as much as it is between Ronaldo in 2nd place and whoever is third. 

Messi is a constant joy to watch, the same cannot be said for Ronaldo. 

Edit- Suarez has been phenomenal this year. I'd say he's closer to Ronaldo than Ronaldo is to Messi actually.

Edited by sdvruxk

On 28/05/2016 at 10:45 PM, pink_triangle said:

As a Wales fan that wasn't fun watching. Pity to see Real Madrid win the thing again.  Typical egomaniac Ronaldo putting himself in a position for the glory.  I was hoping it would bite him on the backside leaving himself to 5th as it has in the past!

Wasn`t too bothered about who won but would have laughed if Ronaldo had missed and they had still went on to win. Imagine his face if one of his team mates claimed the spotlight / glory :)

Bit of a disappointing game I thought. The new paddy p advert at half time was quite entertaining though. Not sure if I was supposed to be offended but it made me chuckle and always good to see the krankies getting a " turn " :ph34r:

On 5/29/2016 at 0:32 PM, mjsell said:

Yeah couldn't agree more, the decision to go 5th typifies in a very small instance why I'm never going to fully see him as the 'greatest footballer' (of all time or currently). I know selfishness is an attribute at the very top level for scoring goals (which he is unrivalled at) but I think it may well also be a big reason he has only ever won 1 la liga title in 7 seasons at Madrid. 

You ever seen Ronaldo's 'documentary'? Think it sums up the man really and was pretty unwatchable. Bragging about cars, ignoring the role of things like Ramos' late equaliser in the Champions League final in 2014, acting as if Ronaldo won the CL with the penalty to make it 4-1 :lol: Its fairly obnoxious and narcissistic, even if documentaries are supposed to be self-centered. 

As individuals, I'd say its close between Ronaldo and Messi. But Messi is far more likeable, for sure.

18 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Have heard a few people over the last 24 hours talking about how hull were "deserving" winners yesterday because they finished 15 points above sheff wed. I wonder how much extra money they spent in getting that gap!

I love the play-offs but admittedly it is sometimes harsh on teams like that. We (Bristol Rovers) went up automatically thanks to a last minute winner, pipped Accrington on goal difference. But the Accrington manager came out with the 'we deserved promotion' stuff before the play-offs and naturally they bottled it in the semi-finals.

No team 'deserves' it until they've gone up. I wanted Wednesday up, but I think they'll do it anyway in 2 or 3 years max.

5 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Wasn`t too bothered about who won but would have laughed if Ronaldo had missed and they had still went on to win. Imagine his face if one of his team mates claimed the spotlight / glory :)

Bit of a disappointing game I thought. The new paddy p advert at half time was quite entertaining though. Not sure if I was supposed to be offended but it made me chuckle and always good to see the krankies getting a " turn " :ph34r:

It happened in 2008 didn't it?

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Liverpool sicknotes all on the plane? Wow.

In better news, Townsend not being in the squad stops him being so blatantly in the shop window.

The real sick note from Liverpool is Henderson, who hasn't looked anywhere near full fitness. Sturridge missed 1 training session and has been in great form for the last few months. The rest have all been fit virtually all season.

Just now, Dan R said:

The real sick note from Liverpool is Henderson, who hasn't looked anywhere near full fitness. Sturridge missed 1 training session and has been in great form for the last few months. The rest have all been fit virtually all season.

Yup. I get why Sturridge was taken even if I disagree with it. Henderson isn't as talented, doesn't over something unique, and hasn't been fit forever.

By comparison, Germany feel comfortable leaving out Reus because he's not fully fit.

9 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Liverpool sicknotes all on the plane? Wow.

In better news, Townsend not being in the squad stops him being so blatantly in the shop window.

And the Arsenal sicknote...

Hope Woy isn't planning to get to far this year..

14 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Yup. I get why Sturridge was taken even if I disagree with it. Henderson isn't as talented, doesn't over something unique, and hasn't been fit forever.

By comparison, Germany feel comfortable leaving out Reus because he's not fully fit.

Man Utd fans love to point out the win-difference if a particular player is in the team.

I suggest you try the same with Henderson.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

For Liverpool I know his presence on the field show up hugely in their results. It was you who linked to the piece a few weeks back that pointed it out.

These type of figures can be hugely misleading though.

If he plays against the Norwich's, Aston Villa's etc, but misses the United, Arsenal etc games, then the results are going to be skewed and unreliable. 

This was the case for Schneiderlin this season, I'm pretty sure we only lost 3/4 games he played in - but was dropped for the bigger games against the better teams, so this isn't really much to go off. 

Can't remember who left when but since  Alonso, Mascherano, and Gerrard all Liverpool midfielders have been low in class in comparison to the players at clubs Liverpool wish to call their peers. 

Alberto, Allen, Henderson, Sahin, Adam, Shelvey, Poulson, Teixeira, Lucas, Chirivella, etc etc etc. 

Is Liverpool having a better win ratio with Henderson in the side a good reason to pick him in an England squad? 

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Man Utd fans love to point out the win-difference if a particular player is in the team.

I suggest you try the same with Henderson.

He isn't a ridiculous talent, he wasn't going to be a guaranteed starter, and he's barely fit. I don't accept the idea that he is that much better than drinkwater that fitness and form should be ignored. 

I think Drinkwater is the 2016 Darren Fletcher in terms of the quick transition from underrated to overrated. He is a solid premiership player who had a good season, in a particular team where everyone played well, but he is nothing more. If I was managing a top half premier side and got offered him, I would probably look elsewhere. 

If I was him I would ask his agent to find him a new club, his stock will never be higher than now.

7 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Is Liverpool having a better win ratio with Henderson in the side a good reason to pick him in an England squad? 

I thought you (said in a danny dyer accent) West 'am types loved someone who was 'England team establishment' thru and thru? You make 'ero's of 'em normally.

:P

4 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

He isn't a ridiculous talent, he wasn't going to be a guaranteed starter, and he's barely fit. I don't accept the idea that he is that much better than drinkwater that fitness and form should be ignored. 

Just like (evenually) Rooney, he's one of the players whose face fits, an untouchable, to a large degree.

I guess much of it would be related to this sort of stuff from his wiki page: "Henderson has represented England at four different levels". " He captained the England U21 team", and " Henderson was named the England U21 Player of the Year "

I've no real idea if the best choice for the Euros or not, but he's certainly not keeping an outstanding talent out of the team either.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think Drinkwater is the 2016 Darren Fletcher in terms of the quick transition from underrated to overrated. He is a solid premiership player who had a good season, in a particular team where everyone played well, but he is nothing more. If I was managing a top half premier side and got offered him, I would probably look elsewhere. 

If I was him I would ask his agent to find him a new club, his stock will never be higher than now.

I agree, I imagine it's very easy to look like an accomplished midfielder when your job is to be the other point in a triangle with Kante and Mahrez. I just don't rate Henderson any higher, and he isn't actually fit.