Black Grape

eastynh

Never got to see Black Grape, had tickets to see them at Doncaster Dome and they split up the day of the show. The venue called my mums house just as we were about to set off to advise us it had been cancelled. Was particularly gutted as we had sold Blur tickets for the same night to go see Black Grape instead. It's Great When You're Straight is still played regularly in our house. Don't think the world is crying out for them to reform, but I would go along I reckon, given the chance.

Edited by Gazsimmo1980

If it's anything like the last Mondays gig I went to I'll leave it. Easily the worst thing I ever saw live.

I can imagine this. But surely you see a band like this knowing it will likely be a shambolic, chaotic mess, underlined by a great baseline and dollops of funk? The beauty is in the madness. Why was it so awful?

Edited by kalifire

I can imagine this. But surely you see a band like this knowing it will likely be a shambolic, chaotic mess, underlined by a great baseline and dollops of funk? The beauty is in the madness. Why was it so awful?

Seen them before when it was exactly like that. This time it was awful. If it wasn't for his sobriety I'd have said Ryder was off his face. Couldn't remember any words, even failed reading from his crib sheets, mumbling and incoherent. The band were a mess and the only thing half decent was Rowetta (I think it was her, could be wrong) but they were so bad even her vocals were ear jarring in comparison.

The venue was half empty by mid set and there must have been a third left at the end (never been able to walk across the academy floor mid set before). I only stayed in case they played WFL.

Edit: my bad, just checked the date it was Ryde solo, not the Mondays which may explain the problems with the band. He was still awful though and only four years or so ago so I hope he is back on form. I'll find out at Butlins in November, the Mondays are def playing that.

Edited by hurdy

Seen them before when it was exactly like that. This time it was awful. If it wasn't for his sobriety I'd have said Ryder was off his face. Couldn't remember any words, even failed reading from his crib sheets, mumbling and incoherent. The band were a mess and the only thing half decent was Rowetta (I think it was her, could be wrong) but they were so bad even her vocals were ear jarring in comparison.

The venue was half empty by mid set and there must have been a third left at the end (never been able to walk across the academy floor mid set before). I only stayed in case they played WFL.

I've seen the Mondays like that, and my pal saw Ryder on a solo tour and said it was criminal. Place was empty mid set. But. The Mondays played Godiva last year and were on top form, I was shocked, Ryder looked interested and it was really good fun. So on that basis, I'm thinking Black Grape could work again.

I've seen the Mondays like that, and my pal saw Ryder on a solo tour and said it was criminal. Place was empty mid set. But. The Mondays played Godiva last year and were on top form, I was shocked, Ryder looked interested and it was really good fun. So on that basis, I'm thinking Black Grape could work again.

Yeah, I was mistaken it was that solo tour I was talking about. Good to hear about Godiva though, got me a little bit kobe interested in seeing them later this year.

I've seen the Mondays twice in the last three years & was fully expecting a car crash, but nah, they were sober, up for it & on form.. On that basis, confident that Black Grape would be fine live but depends on their draw anymore..

Is anyone that arsed to see them still?

I'd probably go, Kelly's Heroes, ITNOTF & Reverend all smashing tunes, but doubt Glastonbury would book them

There is no reason for Black Grape to be as shambolic as the Mondays. The musicians in Black Grape are far better than the Mondays musicians.

I never thought that I would ever get the opportunity to see them again so I am a little excited this morning.

Saw them back in 95 I think. Memory is pretty fuzzy on this. Im nearly sure they supported the Prodigy in a gig I was at??? Or else it may have been Leftfield/Orbital, or the likes, but nearly sure it as the Prodigy.

They were a bit of a laugh as far as I recall, but nothing to write home about. I very much would not get excited about them reforming, or playing Glasto.

It could all be very car crashy...............Is Shaun Ryder effectively not an extra in the Walking Dead these days..........