Dalai Lama self-confirms

UEF

More challenging but probably more interesting. The problem with this is that thousands of people will turn up to say they were there and won't actually listen to a bloody word the great man says.

Dunno. I happen to be pretty interested in Tibetan Independence.

Of course, there were a number of Tibetan monks at the fest in 2013:

131352312_01_426952b.jpg

His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, describes himself as a simple Buddhist monk. He was born on 6 July 1935, to a farming family, and at age of two was recognised as the reincarnation of the previous 13th Dalai Lama...

I'm sure he'd be interesting but I can't get past the reincarnation bit.

Hardly his fault, though.

Good point.

We had a Chinese exchange student stay with us a few years ago. The Mrs was talking to her about China and it's surrounding countries. The conversation was killed with this little exchange:

Mrs Gnom: What country is to the south?

Me butting in: Tibet

Student: TIBET IS PART OF CHINA!!!

Silence. ......

Mrs Gnom: Would you like a cup of tea?

could you elaborate, rather than just being mildly dismissive? you've made quite a judgement on me there, so it'd be nice if you could.

Buddhism isn't the same as other religions, its non-theistic for a start, so can/should be viewed differently by atheists. It's (partly) why Richard Dawkins doesn't criticise it as much.

Some people say they are both atheist and Buddhist.

Wow this is sensational news.

Amusing to see the dawkins drones dismissing this out of hand. Buddism is something worth educating yourself about. The idea of reincarnation may be hard to swallow, but the Four Immeasurables is a wonderful mantra.

Dawkins drones? One person mentioned him saying 'they should get Dawkins there' or something. I think the dismissive behaviour of a few isn't particularly to him but to the amount of people with no interest in religion or spirituality that'll be off to see him based on fulfilling a duty to 'be there' and take a picture of him rather than for what he has to say.

Edited by dentalplan

Blimey, first the headliners now the guest speakers. Doest ANYONE on the lineup have views we can get behind?

Basically if you book a band for glastonbury it is problematic because they must of done something awful once

Edited by Matt42

Blimey, first the headliners now the guest speakers. Doest ANYONE on the lineup have views we can get behind?

I'm not suggesting for a second that the DL condones what's happening there. He probably has said stuff over the years that I'd disagree with, but I still think he's exactly what the doctor ordered as a Pyramid speaker to kick off the Sunday.

atheism is far from close minded, as you can change beliefs based on facts/evidence

Some atheists can be though. Those that don't get why people are religious and dismiss people that do follow beliefs as idiots.

Really isn't relevant though, just a couple of people are just bringing that up for the sake of picking an argument with nobody.

Fatiyeti I think a fair few Glastonbury goers are interested in spirituality rather than religion and the Dalai Lama obviously speaks to that.

It isnt the same clearly but a few years ago if Nelson Mandela was going to speak would you not go along if you werent interested in politics or would you go anyway as it would be a once in a lifetime chance to see someone who has shaped history speak?

Buddhism isn't the same as other religions, its non-theistic for a start, so can/should be viewed differently by atheists. It's (partly) why Richard Dawkins doesn't criticise it as much.

Some people say they are both atheist and Buddhist.

thanks for your replies. for the record, i have no issue whatsoever with him appearing. i defend anybody's rights to believe in what they will, whilst defending my own to disagree if need be.

his position as a leader of a belief system which i do not follow does make him pretty irrelevant to me, that's not to say i wouldn't find him of interest were i to attend his speech, like i did the bishop the other year.

it was more the comment about being 'closed minded', a remark that i thought to be unfounded, that i was wishing to have elaborated.

I do worry that if he was on pyramid people wouldn't listen properly,but then I don't know where else would suit him

Last year I wondered that about the Ballet - and then like everyone else stood in amazed silence throughout.

The proper idiots who might ruin it would tend to be still asleep on Sunday morning.

I'm not suggesting for a second that the DL condones what's happening there. He probably has said stuff over the years that I'd disagree with, but I still think he's exactly what the doctor ordered as a Pyramid speaker to kick off the Sunday.

I know, I was carrying on the joke from the headliners thread :P