Anyone else trying to avoid site spoilers

Twiggy553

I’ve decided to be less obsessive about the build this year to give myself a few more surprises… not looking at the glasto cam or the site changes thread.

For example if there is a new Arcadia i’d quite like to be surprised what is… although i fear this is very unlikely to happen (even the poster or map might give it away).

I think I just about managed to avoid seeing the levels stage last year, at least from the front, until I was on site.

I’ve never played Whamageddon but I’m guessing this is how it feels 😂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I’ve decided to be less obsessive about the build this year to give myself a few more surprises… not looking at the glasto cam or the site changes thread.

For example if there is a new Arcadia i’d quite like to be surprised what is… although i fear this is very unlikely to happen (even the poster or map might give it away).

I think I just about managed to avoid seeing the levels stage last year, at least from the front, until I was on site.

I’ve never played Whamageddon but I’m guessing this is how it feels 😂 

My mate will be coming along with me for the first time.. I've given him very little info so far about what to expect, but I did say to him "that sausage and cider festival you've been to in the past, it's nothing like that..."

Edited by sfroml

39 minutes ago, sfroml said:

My mate will be coming along with me for the first time.. I've given him very little info so far about what to expect, but I did say to him "that sausage and cider festival you've been to in the past, it's nothing like that..."

Oh my god it would be amazing to see the Festival through completely fresh eyes. Even Glastonbury on Sea would seem interesting 😂 

i think i’d already seen too much on the BBC to be coming at it completely naive the first time

First time I went I knew nothing about it, only got a ticket as I was helping my mate and his group out in the sales. I nearly didn't go but decided last minute I didn't want to waste the £200 or whatever a ticket was in 2014. I wasn't sure what to expect but the whole thing blew my mind!

I also by chance ended up next to a couple of people I knew from work in the Tuesday night queue. They ended up camping next to us and as one of them had been 5+ times before, knew her way around so I just followed. I "enjoyed" myself so much that by the end of the weekend I still hadn't learned where a single thing was. In fact I think I only started to get to grips with the site layout after my 3rd year.

Since then though I've been obsessed with following the build and even if I wanted to, I don't think I could keep myself away from it!

1 hour ago, Twiggy553 said:

Be careful, the replacement was just announced!

27 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

If you’ve been before it doesn’t change that much year to year. 

true, biggest regular change i can think of was the position of the 2nd big music stage (other stage), currently on the west side of the site, but its been all-over. 

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

true, biggest regular change i can think of was the position of the 2nd big music stage (other stage), currently on the west side of the site, but its been all-over. 

where was it before?

2 hours ago, sfroml said:

What is this sausage & cider festival you speak of! I ❤️Sausage (no, that sign wasn't me 😁). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

What is this sausage & cider festival you speak of! I ❤️Sausage (no, that sign wasn't me 😁). 

There's quite a few Sausage and Cider festivals throughout the year, usually involves a few covers bands and other sausage/cider related tomfoolery. 

• Thanks 1

I absolutely agree with the OP's sentiment - i.e. what good can come of over-planning/analysing rather than leaving yourself a chance of being surprised?  However, I also agree with the other point being made, i.e. you can't recreate the first time.  So I do try and avoid spoilers, and therefore don't look at 'site changes' etc. threads, but that can only do so much.  Given that it's not possible to recreate the lost/immersed feeling of the first one, the thing I strive for these days is to put two fingers up to the 'fear of missing out.'  In practice, this means that if we're having a good time doing something trivial, then I'll keep doing that and only drift away with the flow, rather than race off to the other side of the site because of a must-see attraction.

One thing that has always irked me on here is the occasional post along the lines of "it's my mate's first time - how can I get them excited about it?... are there any videos I can show them?" etc.  I always take great pleasure in trying to dampen down any newcomers' expectations as much as I possibly can in advance - i.e. try to convince them it's no more than a few gigs in a field and some burger vans.  The longer you can keep this up, the better their reactions when they start to comprehend the scale of it all.  My favourite one was in 2022 when I got my best mate a job on our crew.  He's a huge Hip Hop fan, so had never previously contemplated Glastonbury as he thought there wouldn't be anything in it for him.  On the Tuesday that we arrived, I took him on the cliched walk to the Glastonbury sign, and we'd already been sitting down chatting for several minutes before finally looking up and coming out with: 'Jesus - is all this the festival?'  I continued to play dumb throughout the rest of the festival, letting him blindly lead the way rather than drag him round on a guided tour - you can definitely get a vicarious buzz out of a newcomer's less-jaded take on the event.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

where was it before?

Its been all over where the market offices are now and in holts. And it's been where it is now for 20 or so years.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

Its been all over where the market offices are now and in holts. And it's been where it is now for 20 or so years.

was going to say i've never known it to be anyone else i've been going 20 years now.

9 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

was going to say i've never known it to be anyone else i've been going 20 years now.

Bit difficult to pin down cos the original second stage is now West holts.

Yep, I've decided to stop looking at site changes and even Glasto Chat (former fb addict). I really want new Arcadia to be a surprise, and I really hope it's a good one. But I can't see Eric Prydz playing anywhere bang average.

11 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Nothing beats the magic of the first time. I'm always in 2 minds about spoilers, the nosy side tends to win 😄 

i was on the gate volunteering with oxfam and it wasn't really busy, so I had loads of time to have a chat with tons of people who have never been before. It was great seeng the excitment and awe 

• Like 1