Last Chance artists

Olshansky

One of the best parts about festivals for me, is the opportunity to see musicians and bands that I wouldn't normally go see.

I don't mean for this to be morbid, but a lot of times this can be a last opportunity to see someone that's getting up there in years.  

I'm thankful for 2004 when I got to see James Brown before he passed.  

Paul McCartney is certainly getting up there in years and to have seen him before he goes is incredible.  Same for Elton, amazing to see him before he's retired. 

I am very regretful for not watching Lemmy play when I had the chance.  I don't even remember who I watched instead.  

Is there anyone playing this year that y'all are thinking "maybe watch them before you dont have an opportunity again" ? 

I was thinking Judy Collins.  She's 84.  Even if she lives to 104 I can't imagine she has that many tours left in her. 

3 hours ago, Olshansky said:

I am very regretful for not watching Lemmy play when I had the chance.  I don't even remember who I watched instead.  

I remember Wilko Johnson was on at the same time as Lemmy, because I had a clash dilemma that day. Ended up seeing Motorhead. I wasn't blown away, but was glad I did in retrospect (at the time it seemed more likely that Wilko would buy it first).

Glad to have seen BB King and Burt Bacharach in the Pyramid Stage. Absolute legends 

Edited by CharlotteB

You just never know though, do you... 2008 I saw Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond and Candi Staton, but passed up on Amy Winehouse and Sinead O'Connor, thinking I'd get a chance to see them again. Amazed to see Candi was on again last year, aged 83.

2 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

The Skatalites must be pretty old

No originals in the current touring act. Hasn't been for a few years.

I seem to have a habit of killing off the older acts there's been a few who have passed soon after I saw them. (These below aren't from glasto) Gil Scott heron.

And I can't remember his name but  a big fat blues singer who sat in a throne on stage.

John Holt who collapsed on stage two songs into his set and died about a week later. There's more but I forget who right now.

7 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

You just never know though, do you... 2008 I saw Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond and Candi Staton, but passed up on Amy Winehouse and Sinead O'Connor, thinking I'd get a chance to see them again. Amazed to see Candi was on again last year, aged 83.

Gutted I missed Candi last year, but it was necessary to find a spot for Reg. 

Minimal chance I’ll get another opportunity to see her. 

5 hours ago, -TLR- said:

the only thing i remember about seeing James Brown, was some fella who was not James Brown being on stage and just shouting JAMES BROWN a lot.

The hardest working man in showbusiness... finally arrives onstage about 20 mins in. Ha ha!

5 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Cyndi Lauper will be 71 by the time she plays. May or may not be a last hurrah.

No other obvious contenders outside of the acoustic

It's always 50/50 whether anyone at the Acoustic Stage, performer or viewer, will still be around a year down the line 😅

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

This sadly we don't die in age order. I try to think during a festival I opt for a variety of acts, old and new, up and coming and legends already. Obviously there are occasions when you know it's likely to be your last chance to see someone and of course knowing it's likely my last chance to see someone can be an influencing factor but sadly we can't be everywhere on site.

Probably more of our 80's legends are already gone compared to our 60's and 70's legends.

• Like 1

Just now, Ben7amin_ said:

I saw Bobby Womack headline WH at Glastonbury one year think he died shortly afterwards. 

What an incredible voice that man had.

He died a year to the day near as dammit. Was glad I got the chance to see him.

8 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Cyndi Lauper will be 71 by the time she plays. May or may not be a last hurrah.

No other obvious contenders outside of the acoustic

Cyndi, from what I can tell, is still killing it.  No signs of slowing down thankfully.  Her 2016 set blew me away 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

Cyndi, from what I can tell, is still killing it.  No signs of slowing down thankfully.  Her 2016 set blew me away 

True! I was there too and was just shocked when read her age above.