The steam toy boat stall

Cooter

One for the more hardcore geeky Glasto fans here..

A bit of chat about this little stall on another thread and how, sadly, it wasn't there last year. I used to love this place, just standing there, chilling, watching.

Anyway, some extra info here...

interesting write up, scroll to halfway down...

https://normalforglastonbury.uk/fools-journey-to-glastonbury/

and a short tube clip

Edited by Cooter
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

They had been at the festival for years, I first went in 1998 and i'm sure they were there then. Weren't they raising money to repair a canal or something somewhere in the UK? Maybe they raised enough and it's now fixed so no need to raise funds anymore? 

i have mixed feelings about these guys...

it was either '97 or '98 i was going up to the stone circle and i stopped at their stall on the way and asked them if i could please have a bin bag (to sit on cos of all the mud).

they said: sure man, of course you can - dance for it.

and i did. i danced for a bin bag.

it was a long time ago, but it makes me feel dirty every time i think about it, to have stooped to such a level, and my crew have never let me forget it.

(in my, sort of, defense - i used to do a shitload of drugs back then and i was off my face at the time... but still...)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

They had been at the festival for years, I first went in 1998 and i'm sure they were there then. Weren't they raising money to repair a canal or something somewhere in the UK? Maybe they raised enough and it's now fixed so no need to raise funds anymore? 

It was old mill I think 

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

it was either '97 or '98 i was going up to the stone circle and i stopped at their stall on the way and asked them if i could please have a bin bag (to sit on cos of all the mud).

it was a long time ago, but it makes me feel dirty every time i think about it, to have stooped to such a level, and my crew have never let me forget it.

(in my, sort of, defense - i used to do a shitload of drugs back then and i was off my face at the time... but still...)

Sounds like something Super Hans would make Jez do for a toke on a spliff, lol.

"Dance Jez, dance like you mean it!"

2 hours ago, -TLR- said:

I'm just glad you didn't ask for a bulk bag 🙀

I was quite weirded out one year seeing these guys at something that wasn't Glastonbury. Can't quite remember where now, possibly a Christmas market, maybe York? 

I mean of course they'd be at different events, would be mad if they just did Glastonbury, but it just seemed wrong.

Got one of these too.... contrary to his claims of invention at the stall they've been around since late 19thC and were originally known as "pop-pop boats".

I don't think he's been on the farm for possibly the last 4 or 5 festivals now.

Good to hear he's still around though 👍

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

So, I was right on the other thread - it is a water mill. My memory has been compromised by various self indulgent activities and older age, but 'knew' that it was a water mill. There was always something fitting about this stall being at Glastonbury. It just seemed right.

I have chatted sh*t with them at Farmer Phil's also and know you have previous with said festival. Also perfect for them. Rattlinghope 

4 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I have chatted sh*t with them at Farmer Phil's also and know you have previous with said festival. Also perfect for them. Rattlinghope 

I've not been to the Farmer Phil's Festival, but did get to stay on the site during a temporary break in the covid lockdown. It was my mate's 60th birthday. How he managed to secure that site in the middle of covid I do not know. 

You mention Ratlinghope, but other than knowing it's in Shropshire (where I live) I see no connection. Do they have a festival?

32 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've not been to the Farmer Phil's Festival, but did get to stay on the site during a temporary break in the covid lockdown. It was my mate's 60th birthday. How he managed to secure that site in the middle of covid I do not know. 

You mention Ratlinghope, but other than knowing it's in Shropshire (where I live) I see no connection. Do they have a festival?

It's where Phil's is.

8 hours ago, -TLR- said:

Just imagine what you would have had to do if you wanted to  borrow his chair😉

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

It's where Phil's is.

I had no idea. And I've driven there and back too! My capacity to remember 'things' is diminishing. Thanks for the clarification. 

It's a beautiful site for a festival. I gauge that because we had our own mini festival there - complete with silent disco in the wee hours. Someone i know had hired the kit with loads of headphones so that people could dance and not have music blaring out across the landscape. Then some of us decided to go around the clock, and not sleep. So, we had a fire. And then at about 7am or 8am a proper hunt came over the hill right in front of us. It was a proper hunt too. I didn't see any objectors (apart from those around me that was).