First Glastonbury in 10 years - what's new?!

prestonmanc

14 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Blimey, the visuals at Afterlife do look awesome. 

I want to go to Afterlife Tulum. Truly looks like nothing else anywhere. 

However, if anyone watched Peggy Gou at Coachella, her backdrop was pretty impressive as well. Sadly we won't be getting that on the Park stage anytime soon. 

4 hours ago, prestonmanc said:

Yeah, I saw from the 2023 map that some things had moved a bit.  I thought it was a massive change when the Welsh Oggie stall wasn't there, so it's going to feel very different this time round 😂

The beast and cheapest dinner ever. Was so sad when I couldn't buy half an oggie next door to the world's worst bottles of white wine.

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Two of our group who came last year hadn't been since 2015....they said similar, we were slowly wandering back to our camp in Paines at around 3-3.30am on the Saturday night and it felt like it was 10pm with the amount of people moving around.

That's exactly how I found it. I was expecting (and also hoping, I suppose) that I'd have a relatively chilled walk back to wind down before bed.

Something I found myself doing on the Friday and Saturday morning was having breakfast with earplugs on and keeping them in for an hour just to stop the background noise for at least an hour.

5 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

There are no more milk tractors / vendors roaming the campsites! Sadly!

But you can still buy the milk at a stall by the pyramid! 

8 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Much improved toilets . Can’t quite remember when the onsite portaloos dissapeared might have been a fair bit earlier but the facilities are much better looked after in my opinion these days 

The portaloos were gone by 2014 I'm pretty sure. 2013 was my first and I surely remember those. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There are stalls all over.

It’s not my usual kind of bar so I’ve not paid much attention 😂

13 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

As much as I've consistently gone for 20 years, a fair few of my friends have come on and off and some that came last year who hadn't been for 7-8 years all said about it feeling a lot busier 

It's a lot lot busier these days. Still the best place on earth but be prepared to queues lot more than in the past.

Still amazing though and you must be so excited to go back after a long break

16 hours ago, The Nal said:

Its waaaaaaaay busier about the place since the last time you were at it. Give yourself extra time to get around, queue for food etc. 

Yes, the crowds are immense now (since COVID). Annoyingly so, sometimes. It's probably the worst change you'll see.

One of my Glastonbury rituals used to be buying a pint of milk from the milk tractor and downing it in one as a hangover cure each morning.

Strangely enough, on no other day of the year would I ever consider downing a full pint of milk to cure a hangover.

Maybe it only works if you're hungover on a dairy farm??

Thanks again for all the comments all - seems like the main difference will be the busyness (worse than 2000?).  Even after such a long gap, Worth farm is still my favourite place in the world.  I genuinely can't wait!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, prestonmanc said:

One of my Glastonbury rituals used to be buying a pint of milk from the milk tractor and downing it in one as a hangover cure each morning.

Strangely enough, on no other day of the year would I ever consider downing a full pint of milk to cure a hangover.

Yeah, same. But on a hot morning after baking in a tent all night, getting out in time for the milk trailer to come round, and smashing a pint of ice cold milk back was luuuuvvvllllyyy...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah, same. But on a hot morning after baking in a tent all night, getting out in time for the milk trailer to come round, and smashing a pint of ice cold milk back was luuuuvvvllllyyy...

Milky milky tractor! I don’t think it’s around anymore. Not only fresh milk but also a great alarm wake up call! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Milky milky tractor! I don’t think it’s around anymore. Not only fresh milk but also a great alarm wake up call! 

That's so true! 

I've definitely gotten out of my tent and gone for a drink before heading back to camp to gather my things for the day.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That's so true! 

I've definitely gotten out of my tent and gone for a drink before heading back to camp to gather my things for the day.

Our tent was once adjacent to the path in lime kiln and the tractor used to pass right next to the tent with that cheery man hollering milky milky. 😊😉

On 4/23/2024 at 10:31 AM, Long Drop said:

Totally agree, allow plenty of time to get to a stage, you really can't zip around anymore.

Nearly everyone is on site by the end of Wednesday and by Thursday people are desperate for music, therefore everything is rammed, including the park hill. Try not to make plans for Thursday, just hit up some bars and go for a bimble and you'll find something fun.

All of that was true ten years ago too.... Pretty sure 2014 is the closest Glasto has come to killing me

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'm a bit clueless, what's a Mexican rave?

Pretty sure @Nuthuggermeans ‘Mexican waves’ where cheers sweep from one side of the valley to the other! 

John Peel tent is now Woodsies and has moved a bit further back. There is also The Woods - a nice shaded area in the trees with walkways and lights at night. BBC introducing has moved to other side of Silver Hayes. General layout is still more or less the same. As others have said though - much busier everywhere and everyone seems to have a scouse accent 😂