What would you make sure to do at your last Glastonbury?

The other Bellboy

1 hour ago, Neil said:

No,I'm too immobile to want to try it the last couple of festivals have been too hard work.

Plus I've sold my campervan (i hope).plus there's nothing on the lineup which makes me feel I'm missing out.

Yeah, given that you didn't even let those challenges beat you, you've certainly given it your all 😊

I think there are only a small number of regs who outnumber us both. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I didn't know it at the time, but I have already had my last Glastonbury. As I didn't know it, I never got to have the mindset that 'this is my last Glastonbury'. If I had known (and if it was allowed - no idea if it is or not these days) I'd have one last camp fire on an evening when the light was beginning to fade. I'd look down the hill from my campsite (what used to be Top Webbs Ash (and still maybe called that) at the 'town' below. I'd carry on watching until I could now see the place all lit up in the surrounding dark, and I'd say to myself 'I'm f**king going down into there in a bit'. And I would go down there, into town. I'd immerse myself in the frolics and shenanigans like an Emperor of the night.

That sounds far more dignified than anything I could ever accomplish 

14 minutes ago, clarkete said:

given that you didn't even let those challenges beat you

when i was in hospital with a paralysed leg, the first therapist i met (after asking what i did) told me that his job was to get me back to Glastonbury, i took that as an inspiration and a goal (I've had the pleasure of telling him he inspired me, and that i did it(its not a bad place to leave things. 🙂 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Talcroft said:

Head there on the Weds once you've set up camp and pre-book your slot. I like mine on Saturday morning, help cure the hangover and it's a halfway point, and if you've pre-booked you don't need to queue

(they do do walk-ins for no shows but risks having to queue). Best £15 I spent last year. 

I had a good walk around in 2019 and they were all booked up - can't remember if it was Wednesday or Thursday though. do you remember what time they start in the morning? 15 quid - how long is that for? Its been a while since i've had a massage in the UK, maybe 10 years and i'm sure it was more like 50 quid for an hour

On 4/10/2024 at 11:08 AM, Nuthugger said:

i would play it as if it was my first

God, i wish i could, i could drink and dance 24/7 back in 2007, without a care in the world - too many years of doing that has taken its toll unfortunately. Even though its been 5 years since my last visit, it still comes back quickly when you get there, there can only ever be one first time as Neil says - wish that wasn't the case, not making the most of that first trip in2007 is one of my biggest regrets. The kids haven't been since 2017 so for them it will be like a first time as they don't really remember any of their 3 trips there. 

23 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

The one thing I've never done and been tempted by is visit Lost Horizons for the naked sauna.  If it were my last (which this might be) I'd do that for sure.

I'd also do another all nighter at the Stone Circle.  Only did it once and it was beautiful.  I was the only one of our gang who stayed up so wandered up the hill about 2:30am with a bottle of spiced rum and made some friends.  When the dawn arrived and everyone just stopped and looked in silence until the sun broke the horizon, I genuinely had tears in my eyes.

If it's dry, you could always take the kids sleeping bags with you? 😉 

I would love to do that with the kids, some warm clothes and sleeping bags is a great idea - that would be a fantastic memory to see a sunrise on the Monday morning 🙂

This is a great conversation topic. I’m in my 50s and in fairly good health at the moment, so I hope this isn’t my last Glastonbury. This is my first Glastonbury since 2019 (just couldn’t get tickets), so if I factor in that I might have to wait 4-5 years between Glastonbury’s, I probably haven’t got that many left and I’m unlikely to know which is my last Glastonbury until years after the event.

So what I would do at my last one, is what I will do this time also- 

•Not put myself under any pressure, just wander around and let the magical feeling of the place wash over me. 

•On the Thursday I like to go to the craft fields and have a few drinks at the pub in Avalon field, maybe wonder over to Strummerville or sit at the top of the Park field.

• Only go to Pyramid stage for must see bands (not an issue this year).  Had some amazing Glastonbury moments on that stage, but when I think about Glastonbury it’s the other parts of the festival that come to mind.
•I like spending lots of time in the entertainment fields and at the West Holts stage (just feels like the heart of the festival to me).
• I like going to the Leftfield, heard some really interesting things in there, hearing Tony Benn in a debate was a moment I will never forget.

•finding something wonderful- like some amazing act in the circus tent or dancing with the New York Brass Band or joining a Glastonbury wedding.

•I have had a few lovely Sunday mornings in the Crows nest as well, not too many people can be bothered to get up there at that time (I don’t do this on the muddy years),

Have a great last festival 😊

Edited by Mr Boo
  • Upvote 1

When I have my last Glastonbury I'm going to wait a few years and then have a glorious return for my REAL last Glastonbury, like one of those old champion boxers that comes back for one last big fight. I'll probably lose as many brain cells too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, dirtysteve said:

I vaguely remember a guy crowd surfing at Brian Wilson in 2005 on an actual surf board...

yeah, that happened surfing usa.

• Like 1

I'd do what I always do, which is whatever I feel like doing at any given moment, rather than making a great big list of 'must do' items. This will probably involve lots of wandering and a sunrise at the stone circle though and I do like to have one headliner each day that I want to see and then i'd head off to the Glade or Genosys/IICON usually. Not bothered about going to see some act i'm not that interested in on a massive stage just for the sake of it hoping it's going to be some kind of 'moment'. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

some kind of 'moment'. 

Media can define what the 'big moments' are i suppose, but i'll make my own damn decisions on that 😄 in 2017 when it seemed like everyone was at Foo fighters wooing and ahhhing along, i was at the Truth stage seeing the Dead Kennedys, who ive loved for bloody years - and they popped into the Earache bar for a beer afterwards so even had a drink and a chat with them! Yet when i came back home after the fest, people just wanted to ask me about how great the Foos were 👍 bleh, dunno mate, its not my bag . . . 

likewise, Bring Me The Horizon and Babymetal on the Other stage when Kylie Minogue hoovered up a colossal pyramid crowd and had the tv highlights moment - good for everyone who wanted the SAW nonsense and all the costume changes etc, but it wasnt for me - much to the horror of the mates who watched it on tv and were apparently looking for me in the amassed crowd 😁 thats a hell of a game of Where's Wally

Edited by balti-pie
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Media can define what the 'big moments' are i suppose, but i'll make my own damn decisions on that 😄 in 2017 when it seemed like everyone was at Foo fighters wooing and ahhhing along, i was at the Truth stage seeing the Dead Kennedys, who ive loved for bloody years - and they popped into the Earache bar for a beer afterwards so even had a drink and a chat with them! Yet when i came back home after the fest, people just wanted to ask me about how great the Foos were 👍 bleh, dunno mate, its not my bag . . . 

likewise, Bring Me The Horizon and Babymetal on the Other stage when Kylie Minogue hoovered up a colossal pyramid crowd and had the tv highlights moment - good for everyone who wanted the SAW nonsense and all the costume changes etc, but it wasnt for me - much to the horror of the mates who watched it on tv and were apparently looking for me in the amassed crowd 😁 thats a hell of a game of Where's Wally

I would have loved to have seen the Dead Kennedys, can't remember what I was doing but it must have been something decent to have missed them as I knew they were playing! It definitely wasn't the Foos though.

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Meeting them in the bar is an incredible thing to happen

9 hours ago, shuttlep said:

did you see the guy on the surf board .. I think for Brian Wilson 

i did

the dingy was for FLC on the pyramid probably around '97.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:17 AM, The other Bellboy said:

God, i wish i could, i could drink and dance 24/7 back in 2007, without a care in the world - too many years of doing that has taken its toll unfortunately. Even though its been 5 years since my last visit, it still comes back quickly when you get there, there can only ever be one first time as Neil says - wish that wasn't the case, not making the most of that first trip in2007 is one of my biggest regrets. The kids haven't been since 2017 so for them it will be like a first time as they don't really remember any of their 3 trips there. 

spacer.png

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2024 at 9:08 AM, CharlotteB said:

Speaking of the circus tent, has anyone here seen Cirque du Vulgar there? 😳😳😳😳😳 That was an eye opener. Amazing stuff though 😊 if they try to get you up on stage, just REFUSE! The poor guy who they dragged up there...

My imagination isn’t quite kicking into gear, can you tell us any more? 😏

40 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Your curiosity got my curiosity going, so I had a peep online. Lets just say, it's for adults only.

I saw their show last year. The tent was rammed and there were many young children in attendance.
Though after some point, every few minutes you'd see another parent dragging their brood out 🙂

• Upvote 1