Would Pulp headline Glastonbury in this era?

FirstGlastoHype

2 minutes ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

Babies is a hit? It got to 19 in the uk and nowhere else in the world 😂😂😂😂 

You can argue technicalities about the use of the word "hit".

But it's definitely a big, well known song of the era. With most of that recognition coming after it was in the charts.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

TBF top 40 classes as a hit and the festival is in the UK. I'd have picked up on the fact that they've only headlined once as far as I can recall instead.

I’d argue there’s levels, babies went silver, common people went double platinum 

I believe it’s twice as they filled in for Stone Roses 

2 minutes ago, incident said:

You can argue technicalities about the use of the word "hit".

But it's definitely a big, well known song of the era. With most of that recognition coming after it was in the charts.

I agree for sure.

i love the song, does it have the mainstream crossover appeal a Glasto headliner should have? I don’t think it does but that’s definitely up for debate. 

they definitely have some “hits” but I don’t think babies is one of them 

1 minute ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

My debate is, which this guy cannot understand, is Pulp are a brilliant band, I love them! But I kind of want more. They would be such a good Other or Sub, I’d be there! But to headline the world’s biggest festival? I think like someone said above that would be a damp squib to the general audience, this guy can only see his perspective. He dosent understand that a band who headlined 30 years ago may not be big enough to headline now. I ADORE pulp, I want them at Glasto, but I don’t think there big enough! 

My personal view is I think they would do a cracking job. Jarvis is a great showman. I think he has the charisma to carry it off which not all front people do. I think he could even get a lot of people who aren't big fans and make big fans of them but is that what a festival of contemporary performing arts should be doing reaching for an act that haven't made new material in 20+ years to have as their headliners.

If it was a special back for one year only then maybe you get away with it because it is more special but when they are in the second or third year of comeback gigs it's harder to justify.

3 minutes ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

I’d argue there’s levels, babies went silver, common people went double platinum 

I believe it’s twice as they filled in for Stone Roses 

That's their one and only headline slot. They played the festival again but not as headliners.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

That's their one and only headline slot. They played the festival again but not as headliners.

They headlined the Saturday night in 1995 and the Sunday night in 1998 though.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

My personal view is I think they would do a cracking job. Jarvis is a great showman. I think he has the charisma to carry it off which not all front people do. I think he could even get a lot of people who aren't big fans and make big fans of them but is that what a festival of contemporary performing arts should be doing reaching for an act that haven't made new material in 20+ years to have as their headliners.

If it was a special back for one year only then maybe you get away with it because it is more special but when they are in the second or third year of comeback gigs it's harder to justify.

Thanks for your well thought out response 🙂 

I agree with everything you have wrote. 

I think Jarvis and pulp would nail it, and it would go down really well! I just think your second part is the nail on the head, it’s too hard to justify now, unless it was a final show! Do we not want more from Glasto? I want Pulp AND someone else, pulp being a sub or other frees up a slot for another even bigger act! 

Seems a very beard scratchy sort of question. 

They haven't been and they won't, yet anyone who saw the encore shows would be a fool of they didn't praise it to the skies, as they were perfect. 

11 minutes ago, incident said:

They headlined the Saturday night in 1995 and the Sunday night in 1998 though.

Not on the Pyramid which is headliner in my view. I'm guessing they must have been Other Stage Headliner in 1998.

image.thumb.png.7e42dba4d66434e6dd060961a5f2ba50.png

10 minutes ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

Thanks for your well thought out response 🙂 

I agree with everything you have wrote. 

I think Jarvis and pulp would nail it, and it would go down really well! I just think your second part is the nail on the head, it’s too hard to justify now, unless it was a final show! Do we not want more from Glasto? I want Pulp AND someone else, pulp being a sub or other frees up a slot for another even bigger act! 

That's where we might disagree I don't think it always has to be someone bigger. I'd like them to get back to where they were in the 90's of one older act and 2 contemporary acts. I actually think the balance this year is better and should be what they strive for. Don't et me wrong if there's a year when you get a chance at an all-timer go for them but I think we have been spoilt by those in recent years and need to get back to adjusting our expectations. I'd rather a bill with depth rather than just brilliant at the top.

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Not on the Pyramid which is headliner in my view. I'm guessing they must have been Other Stage Headliner in 1998.

Wikipedia is, predictably, wrong there.

Pulp headlined, Dylan played 3rd from top.

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Nope. They headlined the Pyramid in 95 after Stone Roses pulled out. 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Wiki's wrong. Pulp headlined the main stage (albeit not the Pyramid, which hadn't returned by that point)

https://www.vam.ac.uk/performing-glastonbury/1998/

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Vote for me to replace EE as chief booker. My first policy for a better today and brighter tomorrow? Don't let Primal Scream onsite ever again, let alone anywhere near a f**king stage.

I'll lay good money it was Bobby f**king Gillespie who's responsible for editing that Wikipedia page.

Absolutely NOT as a headliner on the Pyramid Stage. But could see them headlining a smaller stage.

Pyramid stage headliners in the future will be drawn from the likes of Taylor Swift, ACDC, Drake, The Weeknd, Oasis, Rihanna, Maroon 5, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Post Malone, Eminem, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, RHCP, Green Day etc etc

Pulp do not have the same appeal for not only ticket holder but also the tv viewers

And I say this as a fan 

59 minutes ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

Or, they could headline the other or sub, and we have the exact same outcome, but have another bigger more prestigious act too! 

In an ideal world we fill the undercard with headliner-sized bands. I would also love Pulp to play underneath a bigger band, but Pulp are big enough to headline. You can't get three unreal headliners every year. Stick Pulp on the Friday, put a more modern act on Other, and the majority of people would understand and not argue. The worst comments you'd get are "not for me, I'll be at..."

22 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

Nope. They headlined the Pyramid in 95 after Stone Roses pulled out. 

That was the one i could remember and the one that Wikipedia got right. It removed their headline appearance in 98 in favour of Bob Dylan it seems.

51 minutes ago, FirstGlastoHype said:

He also thinks Liam Gallagher would headline, Oasis are my favourite band ever but that is laughable unless he was a fill in 

Liam has headlined Reading/Leeds and played to hundreds of thousands at Knebworth in the last couple of years.

You don't have to like him, but by any objective metric he's big enough to headline on his own.

27 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

That's where we might disagree I don't think it always has to be someone bigger. I'd like them to get back to where they were in the 90's of one older act and 2 contemporary acts. I actually think the balance this year is better and should be what they strive for. Don't et me wrong if there's a year when you get a chance at an all-timer go for them but I think we have been spoilt by those in recent years and need to get back to adjusting our expectations. I'd rather a bill with depth rather than just brilliant at the top.

I just think they could get a better ‘older act’ than pulp as a headliner, and I say that as a fan! 

I do agree though, an older act and 2 contemporary is the way to go, we have been spoilt rotten and I do agree depth is better than stacked headliners, that’s almost another reason I want Pulp on the bill but not as a headliner. 

Bad example, but if there was a year they could get Springsteen, Rolling Stones and someone like The Who, do you think they would decline as there all similar ish older bands? That’s another subject though! Haha

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Liam has headlined Reading/Leeds and played to hundreds of thousands at Knebworth in the last couple of years.

You don't have to like him, but by any objective metric he's big enough to headline on his own.

Happy to debate! Oasis are my favourite band ever, I’ve met both Gallaghers on solo tours. 

I don’t like comparing Glasto to Reading, I know headliners overlap but Glasto should strive to be ‘bigger’ than Reading. 

Liam headlined Knebworth of the strength of the oasis Knebworth anniversary , as I say I’m a fan, I was at knebworth, but Liam don’t play Knebworth if oasis hadn’t, it was a celebration of that gig and oasis. 

I love him, maybe that’s a plot twist haha! He played sub in 2019 and is doing the o2 on his Oasis tour, I truly don’t think he should headline

Edited by FirstGlastoHype