Emily Eavis talk in Oxford

gooner1990

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

I tried to argue that it might have given him a leg up early on but has little consequence now and they largely got to where they are on merit 

Your words, not mine but I mean to an extent... yes she has. She literally only had the opportunity cause of her Dad. You can't tell me the only possible way Healy has become a successful musician is his parents being famous. I can 100% say that Emily wouldn't be doing that job if her dad wasn't ME. She happens to be great at it.

It was only because her mother became really ill that she got involved with the festival as much as she did so early on. She was in the middle of a teaching degree in London and dropped out to come back to look after her.

Michael and Jean planned to retire in 2000 had she not got ill so there may have been no festival at all now had she not got sick.

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I tried to argue that it might have given him a leg up early on but has little consequence now and they largely got to where they are on merit 

Your words, not mine but I mean to an extent... yes she has. She literally only had the opportunity cause of her Dad. You can't tell me the only possible way Healy has become a successful musician is his parents being famous. I can 100% say that Emily wouldn't be doing that job if her dad wasn't ME. She happens to be great at it.

The point which you are either willfully trying to avoid is that first she was given a minor break because of her family connection if she was sh*t the most that would ever have happened is she would have continued to play a minor part. Her part has evolved and she has become someone who could take over the festival because she is great at it.

With Matt Healy his parents being famous isn't his only privilege they are also wealthy etc. Without removing his whole life experience we can never determine how much of a role it played but I imagine having parents make a very good and successful living in an area that 99% of people who attempt to make a living in and fail at gave him substantially more self belief than other people in the same situation.

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

It was only because her mother became really ill that she got involved with the festival as much as she did so early on. She was in the middle of a teaching degree in London and dropped out to come back to look after her.

Michael and Jean planned to retire in 2000 had she not got ill so there may have been no festival at all now had she not got sick.

Yeah I know. And thank f**k she did take over. She's really good at it.

Just now, gigpusher said:

minor break

you can't be serious? this is just ludicrously downplaying it at this point.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

they are also wealthy etc.

I don't care if his parents are rich. There are so many bands which I'm sure have rich parents. I simply do not care. He's hardly aristocracy. His Dad is in Benidorm ffs, he's hardly Di Caprio

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

fail at gave him substantially more self belief than other people in the same situation.

probably and would Emily's Dad not being the creator of Glasto give her some self-belief and confidence she can do the same thing?

Blows my mind you can use that argument against one and not the other.

17 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The point which you are either willfully trying to avoid is that first she was given a minor break because of her family connection if she was sh*t the most that would ever have happened is she would have continued to play a minor part. Her part has evolved and she has become someone who could take over the festival because she is great at it.

With Matt Healy his parents being famous isn't his only privilege they are also wealthy etc. Without removing his whole life experience we can never determine how much of a role it played but I imagine having parents make a very good and successful living in an area that 99% of people who attempt to make a living in and fail at gave him substantially more self belief than other people in the same situation.

This IT Crowd quote jumped to mind:

Denholm Reynholm: When I started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a dream and six million pounds. Today I have a business empire the like of which the world has never seen the like of which. I hope it doesn't sound arrogant when I say that I am the greatest man in the world!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

you can't be serious? this is just ludicrously downplaying it at this point.

I don't care if his parents are rich. There are so many bands which I'm sure have rich parents. I simply do not care. He's hardly aristocracy. His Dad is in Benidorm ffs, he's hardly Di Caprio

probably and would Emily's Dad not being the creator of Glasto give her some self-belief and confidence she can do the same thing?

Blows my mind you can use that argument against one and not the other.

I'm not I am saying they both had a lucky break and took advantage of it. I'm saying Emily got a chance because of connection but she is where she is because of merit.

Michael is a very shrewd man and he absolutely wouldn't have handed over his legacy to someone just because they were in the family. It's not some kind of birthright that she inherited. She one of a large number of children for a start and she's the youngest so wouldn't be the obvious person to inherit the role!!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'm not I am saying they both had a lucky break and took advantage of it. I'm saying Emily got a chance because of connection but she is where she is because of merit.

Michael is a very shrewd man and he absolutely wouldn't have handed over his legacy to someone just because they were in the family. It's not some kind of birthright that she inherited. She one of a large number of children for a start and she's the youngest so wouldn't be the obvious person to inherit the role!!

Yeah fair play I agree

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah fair play I agree

I think you were both saying the same thing in the end 😂

Matt Healey is an Alumni of ACM (Academy of Contemporary Music) in Guilford which is where my son is currently studying. Plenty of other successful musicians have passed through there such as Ed Sheeran, Newton Faulkner, members of The Shires, Clean Bandit, Rudimental, Mumford & Sons, The Sugarbabes, and countless other musicians and producers who are in successful bands or producing successful music artists today. It's not an elite music school for rich kids with connections, it's just a very good music college that enroles students based on talent and a desire to be the best they can be, with expert tutoring from an army of talented people working in the industry themselves. Regardless of his parents connections, he has also honed his craft and put the work in to get where he is now. 

Edited by Harmonic Prospector

4 hours ago, mouserat said:

There's a huge gulf between a band trying to make it with zero industry contacts and a band trying to make it whose mum/dad will know someone who'll know someone who has enough influence to get them in front of the right people.

It's not about whether fans of the 1975 know who his parents are, it's the fact his parents can say to someone in the industry "my son's got a band actually, don't suppose you know anyone who could get their demo to X/get them a few gigs".

Would they have got where they are anyway? Maybe. But it doesn't hurt to have some doors opened already for you.

To measure how right your take is,vwatch how "the entitled sons" get on. If they don't hit 1975 levels famous parents has little affect.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

To measure how right your take is,vwatch how "the entitled sons" get on. If they don't hit 1975 levels famous parents has little affect.

Not sure Sarah Beeney also is as famous as Tim Healy and Denise Welch so it's not a definitive measure.

To be fair, Matty Healy has spoken about being around people like Mark Knopfler & Brian Johnson as a child - both were friends of his parents, so he clearly did have parents with influential friends and connections even if some want to down play them as "celebrities" and he assumed (understandably) as a youngster that he would automatically be involved in performance in some way.

But obviously that doesn't automatically mean he will be in a band that has become as big as they are - that is, as has been said, through a lot of talent and hard work.

Both can be true...

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

https://www.radiox.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2024-emily-eavis-update-headliners-line-up-next-week/

This three female headliners in 2025 or 2026 thing is now catching fire due to someone mishearing at the talk and OOF Festivals plastering it all over social media.

Its not what she said.

FFS.

A person in a group I am in is adamant that Emily said she was looking to do 3 female headliners in the next 2 years.

Your thoughts on this please? 🙂

23 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

To be fair, Matty Healy has spoken about being around people like Mark Knopfler & Brian Johnson as a child - both were friends of his parents, so he clearly did have parents with influential friends and connections even if some want to down play them as "celebrities" and he assumed (understandably) as a youngster that he would automatically be involved in performance in some way.

But obviously that doesn't automatically mean he will be in a band that has become as big as they are - that is, as has been said, through a lot of talent and hard work.

Both can be true...

That was my point. I also actually feel quite sorry for most nepo babies as it's can be both a blessing and a curse. You obviously get opportunities and life experiences that other mere mortals could only dream of but many of them usually end up having some kind of weird dysfunctional childhood with extremely difficult parents.

9 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

A person in a group I am in is adamant that Emily said she was looking to do 3 female headliners in the next 2 years.

This has now made its way to my WhatsApp group.

Before the truth has got its boots on.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

She said she "hoped" to, which I would imagine means she is looking to do it within the next two years, yes. However, we all know that it won't be nailed on this far in advance. 

I was there, @gooner1990was there, neither of us heard her say I will definitely have 3 female headliners in the next two years. 

In fact she went to great lengths to explain why they are not in a postition to do that right now because the pool is quite small and more needs to be done to support and nurture female artists on their journey to get to that status. 

Edited by Harmonic Prospector

17 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I didn’t hear that exact phrase.

Some people are interpreting what she said differently. 

@gooner1990you are famous - in Rolling Stone now!

The update comes via eFestivals, which has a solid track record for reporting rumoured Glastonbury line-ups and when the full bill can be expected. (Click the efests link).

https://www.rollingstone.co.uk/music/news/get-ready-the-glastonbury-line-up-is-coming-very-soon-37410/

Edited by chuckles07
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

She said she "hoped" to, which I would imagine means she is looking to do it within the next two years, yes. However, we all know that it won't be nailed on this far in advance. 

I was there, @gooner1990was there, neither of us heard her say I will definitely have 3 female headliners in the next two years. 

In fact she went to great lengths to explain why they are not in a postition to do that right now because the pool is quite small and more needs to be done to support and nurture female artists on their journey to get to that status. 

9 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I didn’t hear that exact phrase.

Some people are interpreting what she said differently. 

Thanks guys, I am totally in agreement with what you have interpreted as you haven't attempted to make it sound like an exclusive quote plastered over as many socials as possible.I will see if I can get any clarification next week when I see Emily's sister. 😊

1 hour ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Matt Healey is an Alumni of ACM (Academy of Contemporary Music) in Guilford

Plenty of other successful musicians have passed through there such as Ed Sheeran, Newton Faulkner, members of The Shires, Clean Bandit, Rudimental, Mumford & Sons, The Sugarbabes

So basically we would all be better off without it  *runs away* 😁

edit - ok, Sugarbabes are ok and have kept many people in employment over the years 😁

Edited by cdm22
  • Upvote 2