Emily Eavis talk in Oxford

gooner1990

41 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

While I absolutely completely and totally get it, the festival needs a future, the thing about festivals being a home for alternative folk is where the feeling of conflict lies. 

Pop headliners is just the cool kids stealing the fun stuff again.

I'm not daft enough to fully believe my own argument here. But I do think it's unfair that "oh you're just old" and out of touch always gets chucked around when there is a legitimate feeling of being excluded from the culture we created [and when I say "we" I mean my parents because I'm too young].

Anyway that's an aside, I'm pleased there's two female headliners and I'm pleased that attracting a mainstream audience ensures the future of the festival. Looking forward to the Park lineup. 

the irony is its the opposite. if you are not a rock band of some sort many people turn their nose up at it. its mostly other genres that have been excluded from glastonbury over the years. look at the jay z reaction from none other than noel gallagher and the majority of people attending. Kendrick lamar got the same reaction, stormzy, and so on. 

Bringing others to your level isnt excluding you, its including others. 

The bands that are booked over the last 10 glastos shows there is no exclusion, just a move towards more inclusion.  Also have no idea what you mean by "culture we created" ?!?! what you think white men created music and festivals? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The past ten years:

Alternative/ indie/ rock headliners: Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kasabian, Florence + The Machine, The Who, Muse, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, The Killers, The Cure, Paul McCartney, Arctic Monkeys, Guns n Roses (14)

Hip Hop Headliners: Kanye, Stormzy, Kendrick Lamar + Pop headliners: Adele, Ed Sheeran, Billie Eilish, Elton John (7)

I'm sure rock/ alternative will be fine. There used to be dance music headliners before rock became the expected thing every year.

10 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

This takes me back to the days of the legendary cheese and Grain headliner thread and Parson Jack 

Me also. That was great. Remember having to to leave for work before it concluded and hating having to leave. PJ and @Neilgot in iirc.

9 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I think im gonna cancel my swim for this 

Wish I'd stayed here rather than going out for the football. We were sh*t and couldn't keep possession for toffee. And had a last second handball penalty denied.

9 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Well over 1K people viewing this page. No pressure! 😅

Sure the Cheese & Grain FF happening must have had more than that.

18 pages and I'm only on page 8. Can someone summarise please?

8 hours ago, TiZuff said:

the irony is its the opposite. if you are not a rock band of some sort many people turn their nose up at it. its mostly other genres that have been excluded from glastonbury over the years. look at the jay z reaction from none other than noel gallagher and the majority of people attending. Kendrick lamar got the same reaction, stormzy, and so on. 

Bringing others to your level isnt excluding you, its including others. 

The bands that are booked over the last 10 glastos shows there is no exclusion, just a move towards more inclusion.  Also have no idea what you mean by "culture we created" ?!?! what you think white men created music and festivals? 🤣

You know full well that's not what I'm saying. But modern UK festival culture has its roots in the 60s and 70s as a counter cultural thing where collective outsiders could get together. 

Kendrick, Stormzy, Jay Z definitely fit the counter culture bill. 

Coldplay, Dua Lipa is as bland as it gets (can't comment on Sza as haven't heard much). Maybe it's just there aren't enough counter cultural women doing music at the moment, idk. Get Simz up there and then we're talking.

(also lol at the idea above of whichever poster put Coldplay and Florence in the alt/rock bracket above. Both firmly wedged in the pop bracket for 10-15 years.

15 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

I was quite surprised at how empty it was when I arrived. I suppose post-lunch during the working day didn't allow for people to just nip out of work/lectures. Reckon if it had been at 5 or 6pm the turnout would have been bigger. The only reason I was able to be there was because I was with a prospect for work until she had to leave at the interval, at which point I immediately logged on to efests! 😂

I assume these events are aimed at students. I know if when I was a student something like that was happening near me I'd have been there.

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I assume these events are aimed at students. I know if when I was a student something like that was happening near me I'd have been there.

The issue was the timing.

I work at the Uni and we all got a mailshot advertising it, there were three events at 2pm, 5pm and 7pm.

The Emily Eavis talk was at 2pm right in the middle of the working day, I had to ask my line manager if I could get out of work for two hours and then make the time up at the end of the day.  Had I had any meetings scheduled I wouldn't have been able to attend, it was by pure luck that my diary was clear for the afternoon.

I think if the talk had been at 5pm there would have been a lot more people there.

10 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Yea also seen CMAT called a plant this week. Always seems to be women who can write and perform. 

yet people like Fred again gets a free pass. 

Exactly it also almost always comes from men. I think a lot of men have no idea just how much unconscious bias they have in this area. It seems to be a  default for many people that if they personally aren't interested in something and sadly society teaches boys from a young age that things women create are for women or girls and not for them to assume something sinister is going on rather than just thinking maybe I haven't listened to this enough or maybe it's passed me by because I have been so busy listening to x and y instead.

10 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Nonsense. I’ve seen many people on here say it about inhaler or 1975 cause Matt Healy’s mum is on loose women lol

Yes but these people legitimately have very famous parents who will have undoubtedly opened doors for them there is no such obvious connection for the female artists who get the same grief. Yes perhaps The 1975 may end up having success that's even greater than his famous parents but they will definitely have heloed him get opportunities.

19 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The issue was the timing.

I work at the Uni and we all got a mailshot advertising it, there were three events at 2pm, 5pm and 7pm.

The Emily Eavis talk was at 2pm right in the middle of the working day, I had to ask my line manager if I could get out of work for two hours and then make the time up at the end of the day.  Had I had any meetings scheduled I wouldn't have been able to attend, it was by pure luck that my diary was clear for the afternoon.

I think if the talk had been at 5pm there would have been a lot more people there.

Yep as I mentioned it was the lack of students rather than the lack of working people that surprised me.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep as I mentioned it was the lack of students rather than the lack of working people that surprised me.

I don't know how well it was advertised on student mailings, I got it on a staff one.

There were about 70-80 people there, a lot you can't see in that pic posted as they were behind it.

Just now, gooner1990 said:

I don't know how well it was advertised on student mailings, I got it on a staff one.

There were about 70-80 people there, a lot you can't see in that pic posted as they were behind it.

That's not too bad a turnout!

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Oxford gets the cool stuff.

The north can't even get a railway.

Its an interesting place to live and work in, there's always something going on.

That said, we still have to travel to London for big gigs like anyone else 😄 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:
10 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yes but these people legitimately have very famous parents who will have undoubtedly opened doors for them there is no such obvious connection for the female artists who get the same grief. Yes perhaps The 1975 may end up having success that's even greater than his famous parents but they will definitely have heloed him get opportunities.

Matt Healy’s parents are not ‘very famous’ by any stretch of the imagination. 

I love how you say ‘perhaps they’ll end up having success that’s even greater’ as if that didn’t happen about 10 years ago. They’ve placed Maddison square garden and made it in America. They did it on merit.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

I love how you say ‘perhaps they’ll end up having success that’s even greater’ as if that didn’t happen about 10 years ago. They’ve placed Maddison square garden and made it in America. They did it on merit.

They are both household names in the UK and Ireland. They are very famous in the UK by most peoples metrics for famous. They have both definitely had significantly more than 15 minutes of fame. They certainly would have had enough clout to know people in the industry to listen to their boys band. I personally think too much is made of Nepo baby in that I think the advantage it gives you is getting your foot in the door and perhaps a bit of curiosity from people to see you based on your parents at first so yes I don't think it's a continuing factor for anyone but the point is he definitely did get that.

Please tell me why CMAT, Raye, TLDP and Wet Leg constantly get this thrown at them even though as far as I know none of them do have any connections beyond Raye going to Brit school which she will have had to audition for and will have gained entry to based on displaying talent.

23 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The only reason the term was first used in this thread was in relation to EE, who ended up doing this after giving up her chosen career.

Would be nice if as many leapt to her defence (as someone who's done so many great things for the fest and for charity) as for his. 

14 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

They are both household names in the UK and Ireland. They are very famous in the UK by most peoples metrics for famous.

Well known but not amongst the 1975's target demographic. I really think they are C list at best.

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

but the point is he definitely did get that.

potentially.. i dunno I just don't see it as a big factor with them, they made it on talent

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

The only reason the term was first used in this thread was in relation to EE, who ended up doing this after giving up her chosen career.

Would be nice if as many leapt to her defence (as someone who's done so many great things for the fest and for charity) as for his. 

I think she's great but it's a simple fact that it was an inherited position not based on merit. That's indisputable. The fact she's been great at it is a separate matter.

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Please tell me why CMAT, Raye, TLDP and Wet Leg constantly get this thrown at them

the only thing I've seen is calling wet leg an 'industry plant' tbh I don't keep up with this stuff and I was actually defending Raye at the start. Saying EE got her position based on nepotism is an inarguable fact.

I mean, Tim Healy is definitely known among their target demographic - he's a cult figure for occasionally popping up at their shows to sing All I Need to Hear.

But he's definitely better known as Matty Healy's dad rather than as Tim Healy, the actor.

21 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

the only thing I've seen is calling wet leg an 'industry plant' tbh I don't keep up with this stuff and I was actually defending Raye at the start. Saying EE got her position based on nepotism is an inarguable fact.

I'm not sure I'd agree.  It's more nuanced than that.

Nepotism is using power/money/influence to help the career of fiends/family regardless of merit.  I don't think this applies when you have an established family business which the family wants to pass on to a next generation.  She was clearly brought into the fold slowly and has increased her involvement over time.  As I understand it, the first time she had control over an area of the festival was when the Park was created.  That's quite a long time ago and she's been expanding her knowledge and talent ever since.

Had she merely taken over or inherited the family farm, you couldn't accuse them of nepotism and in a way, it's the same thing, scaled up.

22 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Well known but not amongst the 1975's target demographic. I really think they are C list at best.

potentially.. i dunno I just don't see it as a big factor with them, they made it on talent

I think she's great but it's a simple fact that it was an inherited position not based on merit. That's indisputable. The fact she's been great at it is a separate matter.

It's an inarguable fact that he benefited from his parents wealth and from his first gig at his Dad's event, yet intriguingly he is worthy of your stout and heartfelt defence. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristenharris1/nepo-babies-spoken-out-or-ignored-criticism

https://screenshot-media.com/culture/entertainment/matty-healys-parents-famous/

https://dnyuz.com/2023/10/06/nepo-baby-of-the-week-god-help-us-matty-healy-is-back-on-tour/

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The past ten years:

Alternative/ indie/ rock headliners: Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kasabian, Florence + The Machine, The Who, Muse, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, The Killers, The Cure, Paul McCartney, Arctic Monkeys, Guns n Roses (14)

Hip Hop Headliners: Kanye, Stormzy, Kendrick Lamar + Pop headliners: Adele, Ed Sheeran, Billie Eilish, Elton John (7)

I'm sure rock/ alternative will be fine. There used to be dance music headliners before rock became the expected thing every year.

Edited by fakeplastictrees2000