UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, Neil said:

what you call watering down is probably throwing out the unworkable, which is a good thing. i don't want a govt of posers i want a govt with solutions.

yes sure...so don't do it publicly. Now the world knows they've taken out the goodies. It was the same with the green new deal 28 billion thing...don't come up with this magic number if you're not going to actually stick to it.

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I thought she was alright. 

Starmers biggest weakness was lack of charisma, but her lack of charisma meant it didn’t hurt him. I also remember her saying in the leadership campaign she would give Jez 10/10 for his leadership, just as he had lead labour to a disastrous defeat.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Starmers biggest weakness was lack of charisma, but her lack of charisma meant it didn’t hurt him. I also remember her saying in the leadership campaign she would give Jez 10/10 for his leadership, just as he had lead labour to a disastrous defeat.

Yes she did. Bit naive being so loyal to the last leader, heaven forbid. I remember Starmer coming out with a load of bollocks too, but I guess the difference is everyone believed him. Maybe it's because he's a man.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yes sure...so don't do it publicly. Now the world knows they've taken out the goodies. It was the same with the green new deal 28 billion thing...don't come up with this magic number if you're not going to actually stick to it.

A Corbyn hangover where any promise can be made.the mistake is taking them seriously.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

ok, well which one is right? Because that's a big difference...

They're all right, people only dispute the polls when they don't like what the polls reveal. Was that with the Corbyn fans, is that with the Tories now.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So labour are 15 points ahead and 30 points ahead?

The joined up message from those is that labour is ahead.

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Difference could be hung parliament with labour the largest party to total Tory wipeout. I need to know 

its gonna be that tory whipeout. 🙂

they're going to smash the gangs apparently

Once the boats are in British waters, we have no option other than take them in and process them which is pretty much what we do now. To smash the criminal gangs, we need French assistance which hasn't been very forthcoming in the past.
This is just the usual political rhetoric from Labour.

so this is where the Tories will be hoping and praying that an improving economy will feed through to voters and help them in November....maybe not enough time...Jan 25 anyone?

It's way too late for that now.

57 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer making his big speech about this on the front line in Dover introduced by their shiny new Labour MP.

did you mistype this? Surely you  meant Shitey new Labour MP?

3 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Once the boats are in British waters, we have no option other than take them in and process them which is pretty much what we do now. To smash the criminal gangs, we need French assistance which hasn't been very forthcoming in the past.

This will be as successful as the war on drugs gangs.

4 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I don’t always stick up for Starmer but his behaviour seems much better toward Europe than the current govt . I think he’ll get more traction . The small boats thing could be more easily solved through allowing safe and legal routes and proper processing , the govt allow it to remain to fuel the culture wars . Like the strikes that they could solve . They don’t because they use it to excuse their failures 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I don’t always stick up for Starmer but his behaviour seems much better toward Europe than the current govt . I think he’ll get more traction . The small boats thing could be more easily solved through allowing safe and legal routes and proper processing , the govt allow it to remain to fuel the culture wars . Like the strikes that they could solve . They don’t because they use it to excuse their failures 

So how would they process the tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands of migrants entering the country and who is going to pay? The £75 milion saved by abandoning the Rwanda scheme won't go anywhere near.

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

So how would they process the tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands of migrants entering the country and who is going to pay? The £75 milion saved by abandoning the Rwanda scheme won't go anywhere near.

the people already arriving and waiting are costing money ... whos paying for that ? same people who will pay to get the backlogs down , same people who will talk to the French to prevent the boats from launching . The sooner safe and legal routes are established the sooner people contribute to the economy and the need for boats reduces . From memory Starmer has already engaged with the French about this and hes not PM yet . 

6 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Well the asylum claims have to be processed one way or the other. putting them in limbo is expensive and pointless, either in a hotel or Rwanda

It should be pretty simple to work out who is entitled to asylum. I guess the issue is going to be those who know they are likely to be rejected and so try to tie themsleves up in the system.

Edited by lost

11 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

the people already arriving and waiting are costing money ... whos paying for that ? same people who will pay to get the backlogs down , same people who will talk to the French to prevent the boats from launching . The sooner safe and legal routes are established the sooner people contribute to the economy and the need for boats reduces . From memory Starmer has already engaged with the French about this and hes not PM yet . 

needs a europe wide solution really...people processed at various entry points..countries taking allotted amounts depending on population size, state of economy etc...but then might start getting more and more coming which would likely increase support for anti immigration populists parties. It's a big problem, and is only going to get worse.