UK Politics

kalifire

21 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

This could also be framed as the Tories are in utter shambles and Starmer is winning by-elections by default.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It could also be framed as Starmer is the by-election GOAT. 

Listening to members of the electorate and political analysits today it is not cos Starmer is great - it is cos Tories are utter garbage. Most interviewed had no enthusiasm about Labour even those who voted for them.

Many said they wanted Labour to come up with something radical otherwise all we will get is 5 more years of stagnation in pretty much all of life.

The electorate are fed up and cannot be bothered anymore.

And winning a by election on 37.1% turnout gaining 5000 plus votes less than the GE in 2019 is now cause for any celebration what so ever.

19 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Listening to members of the electorate and political analysits today it is not cos Starmer is great - it is cos Tories are utter garbage. Most interviewed had no enthusiasm about Labour even those who voted for them.

Many said they wanted Labour to come up with something radical otherwise all we will get is 5 more years of stagnation in pretty much all of life.

And winning a by election on 37.1% turnout gaining 5000 plus votes less than the GE in 2019 is now cause for any celebration what so ever.

Bah humbug

24 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You are comparing a by-election to a general election, of course votes cast will be different. I’m sorry that Starmer actually managing to win elections. 

25 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I mean labour treated a better than expected loss to Theresa May as a victory, politicians will always try and put a positive spin on things.

I agree voters aren’t massively enthusiastic about Starmer, the question I would always ask myself s would they be massively enthusiastic about an alternative. I think they would be less enthusiastic about RLB (who came second in the leadership contest) others may disagree. One thing I think is people won’t actively vote against Starmer as many did Corbyn last time around.

As for wanting something radical, I’m sure that applies to some, my instinct is that there aren’t a load of swing voters screaming out for radical policies, I think incremental change is probably the most realistic. Voters had the opportunity to vote radical in the last 2 elections and chose not to take that option.

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I mean labour treated a better than expected loss to Theresa May as a victory, politicians will always try and put a positive spin on things.

I agree voters aren’t massively enthusiastic about Starmer, the question I would always ask myself s would they be massively enthusiastic about an alternative. I think they would be less enthusiastic about RLB (who came second in the leadership contest) others may disagree. One thing I think is people won’t actively vote against Starmer as many did Corbyn last time around.

As for wanting something radical, I’m sure that applies to some, my instinct is that there aren’t a load of swing voters screaming out for radical policies, I think incremental change is probably the most realistic. Voters had the opportunity to vote radical in the last 2 elections and chose not to take that option.

History shows us that voters tends to vote for people that incremental, competent change. When given the option in 2017 and 2019 of fairly radical change they chose the opposite on both occasions. Then when the opposition gives them the choice of something less radical it appears the voters are more receptive. 

These people that claim the public want this transformational change always fail to ignore the fact that when given that option the public said no and even sided with Theresa May.

22 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

that something radical will be 2029 with Farage leading Reform to power.

Edited by steviewevie

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that something radical will 2029 with Farage leading Reform to power.

I think in the right scenario with the right leader, a more radical labour leader could be successful. The trouble with Corbyn was the messenger as much as the message. A younger, charismatic lefty without the baggage, who has been careful in their social media, then who knows.

4 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Reform, like with UKIP before them, will have higher numbers in by-elections to try and scare Tories into behaving as they want them to. I wouldn't be surprised if they're high, but I still don't believe they'll get seats.

Might be a bigger deal in the red wall.

just seen the old fraud on tv saying that a poll of tory members has them wanting him as leader (seemed like him pitching himself for the job to me) - he'd need to get elected first cos only MPs can be tory leader - keeps spaffer out of the picture too, which is good.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Starmer is the most successful by-election Labour leader ever. 

knnock looking good too - much easier after a disastrous leader.

Just now, fred quimby said:

He has been lucky with the amount he has been able to go for. Obviously due to sh*t mps and folk leaving. 

It's all about local issues and mps though 😉

He is a lucky General that is for sure either that or he’s just so great at this political game 😉

29 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

From my perspective he played the Corbyn situation perfectly in terms of politics, he could have made different choices and ended up like Chuka 

Yes easy to forget the left took control of alot more of the party machinery than they did under foot. He's completely taken back control of the party before they had a clue what was happening.

1 hour ago, LJS said:

So Starmer has moved Labour so far to the right that the leader of Scottish Labour has to promise to "stand up" to him.

image.thumb.png.8179ffa4341906626e61f69356e419a5.pnghttps://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/anas-sarwar-promises-stand-up-32131238

what happened to the last person who said they'd defend Scottish interests? and why are police Scotland so sh*t?? that she's not in jail yet!

turns out scots can rule Scotland as bad as a tory. how come the unstopable indie campaign has stopped.

Honestly, this stuff is comedy gold. But in a winner-takes-all dumb-off with Humza Yousaf’s SNP, it’s way too close to call.

Edited by Neil

1 hour ago, LJS said:

So Starmer has moved Labour so far to the right that the leader of Scottish Labour has to promise to "stand up" to him.

image.thumb.png.8179ffa4341906626e61f69356e419a5.pnghttps://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/anas-sarwar-promises-stand-up-32131238

Am independence supporter talking about Scotland's best interests comedy gold 

12 hours ago, Ozanne said:

You are comparing a by-election to a general election, of course votes cast will be different. I’m sorry that Starmer actually managing to win elections. 

I was responding to a post that you made about about by elections LOL

Still, move the goalposts to fit your narrative.

PS Have you admitted yet that the Green pledge from Labour has been watered down/scrapped yet or are you still fixated that Labour are pefect?

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It's not the swing voters that want it, it's those that likely will not bother voting as increasing numbers see no point.