2024 New Music

Quark

Finally got my copy of Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood delivered, after the first was lost in transit (thanks to rough trade for sending a replacement).

Album of the year so far by a country mile for me! It will take one hell of an album to displace it. 

Like the new Schoolboy Q album - a bit moodier and less commercial sounding than recent releases. It's a pretty interesting album and it jumps around from pretty grimey trap to softer jazzier tracks.

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Finally got my copy of Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood delivered, after the first was lost in transit (thanks to rough trade for sending a replacement).

Album of the year so far by a country mile for me! It will take one hell of an album to displace it. 

I love it, just so happens I’m playing it now, have revisited Saint Cloud too. Really frustrated I can’t see her later in the year on tour.

I’m already enthused with several albums this year: Brittany Howard, MGMT, Julia Holter, Lee Scratch Perry, and have high hopes for Vampire Weekend which I’ve yet to play. Black Keys is decent too.

Only just got round to listening to the new Yard Act and think it's great. Think they've really improved since The Overload, better storytelling and the music's gotten more disco-y and Talking Heads inspired. Really looking forward to seeing them this year, didn't manage to catch them in 2022.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:16 PM, Punksnotdead said:

I’m enjoying this one too. 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:56 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

I love it, just so happens I’m playing it now, have revisited Saint Cloud too. Really frustrated I can’t see her later in the year on tour.

I’m already enthused with several albums this year: Brittany Howard, MGMT, Julia Holter, Lee Scratch Perry, and have high hopes for Vampire Weekend which I’ve yet to play. Black Keys is decent too.

Vampire Weekend is lovely if you like Vampire Weekend. Could do with some sunny days for it to hit right.

I'm enjoying Bob Vylan as well again nothing massively different from them but a decent album nonetheless.

@Avalon_FieldsHave you listened to Katherine Priddy's new one seem to recall you were a fan - been out about a month now so not exactly brand new.

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Vampire Weekend is lovely if you like Vampire Weekend. Could do with some sunny days for it to hit right.

I'm enjoying Bob Vylan as well again nothing massively different from them but a decent album nonetheless.

@Avalon_FieldsHave you listened to Katherine Priddy's new one seem to recall you were a fan - been out about a month now so not exactly brand new.

No. I’m not really sure why I haven’t. I really like her first album and a friend said the second was really good. I need to sort myself out!! 

Agree with the Waxahatchee shouts - she has racked up a seriously impressive back catalogue now. Not a duff album but still continues to outdo ourself. 

Took a while to arrive but the new Grace Cummings album came today and is amazing as well. 'Everybody's somebody' massive song. 

Gutted I cannot make it to either Waxahatchee' or Grace Cummings' gigs this summer - such good value for such awesome artists.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:35 PM, Acid_Haze said:

Only just got round to listening to the new Yard Act and think it's great. Think they've really improved since The Overload, better storytelling and the music's gotten more disco-y and Talking Heads inspired. Really looking forward to seeing them this year, didn't manage to catch them in 2022.

I particularly enjoy the ‘listening to Grammatics’ line. What a band they were!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Given Illusion might be time to call the paramedics on DL3. Kevin Parker d@bs down yet again.

Yup, most generic one out of the three

and I’m definitely putting this all on Parker’s shoulders. Guy is simply averse to producing bangers. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

English Teacher debut LP out today

Had never listened to these before as I assumed they were some sh*t landfill indie act due to their name but gave it a listen after seeing the rave reviews and it’s pretty damn good. I’m a bit over the whole talk-singing post-punk thing so was a bit apprehensive but there’s loads of good stuff here. Very Black Country, New Road in places.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Acid_Haze said:

It's better than training season

Houdini is the pick of three - the others are both pretty mid. Not bad exactly, but not what the doctor ordered when Friday 28th June comes to mind.

If anyone sees this dweeb wandering G24 it's on sight.

1901_Matt-Sav_Kevin-Parker_1-1-1040x660.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Houdini is the pick of three - the others are both pretty mid. Not bad exactly, but not what the doctor ordered when Friday 28th June comes to mind.

If anyone sees this dweeb wandering G24 it's on sight.

1901_Matt-Sav_Kevin-Parker_1-1-1040x660.

Agreed, Houdini is still best, but none of these tracks beat any of the Future Nostalgia singles.

1 minute ago, Acid_Haze said:

Agreed, Houdini is still best, but none of these tracks beat any of the Future Nostalgia singles.

Uh huh, all the FN singles have already cemented themselves in the pop pantheon, whereas these new ones have largely been dead on arrival. What a shame, especially as I fully believed she’d be untouchable on this album. Here’s hoping the album has some hidden gems. 

Yeah that new Dua one is very underwhelming.  Have loved her previous stuff but none of the 3 new singles are doing it for me at all.

On the other hand, loving Chappell Roan due to some of the tips on here.  Surprised no one has mentioned her new single from last week  - Good Luck, Babe!  Just listened to it straight after the new Dua and its miles better.  Absolute Banger! 

Edited by circus92