2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

54 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But the question is how much of the current "holding screen" system is because the system *can't* go any fast, and how much of it is because Glasto want the ticket sale to last around an hour and so throttle it.

People are still being booted out of the system mid-purchase, so I don't know if it would be able to go any faster.

I'd prefer it if it was throttled a bit more, if that would guarantee it staying stable for the people who are in. Endless holding page is bad, but getting part way through the process just for it to fall over is worse imho.

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

It gets called for every year, there is no denying the system could be made objectively fairer.

The only way I can see it changing is when the bias in the system no longer favours the masses (i.e. a tech trick comes in that is even more effective than people in large spreadsheets / people pay to use) then I'm sure, shock horror, people will suddenly cry foul as they no longer are the most advantaged group.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

Not sure why people keep comparing glasto to the London marathon. People who run the marathon mainly run by themselves, or maybe pairs. It doesn’t require groups of friends to be kept together. A ballot is a stupid idea. 

Well done not comprehending any of the suggestions made in the thread.

With that profile pic and your COVID posts though it seems thinking isn't a strong point 

• Downvote 1

Are Glastonbury post-ticket sale threads usually this long every year? I'd be surprised if the same topics aren't regurgitated every time in recent years given people are upset they didn't get a ticket and want to vent. 

Ultimately the festival does exactly what it needs to and sells out in no time at all. It's great for the festival and maintains an air of 'exclusivity' which is brilliant for their branding. Remember that being billed as the hottest UK festival is a huge pull for artists also with all other things being equal. GF would not change a winning formula unless there were dire consequences which, let's be honest, there aren't. The crowd has not significantly "changed since a decade ago", you're just getting old. Try going to Leeds festival and get bottle missiles chucked around and see if you still think that.

People will complain every year without fail and do so. If it's not one thing it's another. In the 2020's though, everyone is now wise to tactics with some working better than others. It's a game of chance and if you don't maximise that chance then you're likely to miss out - simple. 

The same people whinging about 'unfair' tech hacks are the ones who would leverage every opportunity they could to get a ticket on sale day. This very forum gave me most of the information I needed in recent years to grab tickets via advice on how the load balancing and refresh limiting worked on SeeTickets' site. The problem (if you even want to call it that) is information spreads extremely quickly due to social media and sites like this and people will try anything to grab an elusive ticket. 

Ultimately you win some / you lose some and you're not owed anything. If you want to keep chances of getting a ticket high you need to be on the ball with the tech (understand how the website works) and social side (have a big syndicate trying). It's no different than any other scenario where demand outstrips supply up to 10/1. If you want the prize you have to play the game. The fun part is that the game is changing 😉 

2 minutes ago, skinnymike said:

Ultimately you win some / you lose some and you're not owed anything. If you want to keep chances of getting a ticket high you need to be on the ball with the tech (understand how the website works) and social side (have a big syndicate trying). It's no different than any other scenario where demand outstrips supply up to 10/1. If you want the prize you have to play the game. The fun part is that the game is changing 😉 

Or get your act together and secure either a working position or volunteer.

43 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah fair play. I wish I’d been less conservative. So each of yours was at 2 second refresh but you had loads of browsers? Or just incognito tabs in same browser? 

It’s not meant to boot you out, it’s meant to give you a fake holding page 

1. Only one of each browser on a device. So only one Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc

2. That's what I meant, booting you out of the real "queue".

42 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

But then you go back to the same situation surely. Get loads of people trying for your campervan ticket. Plus 2 separate computer systems to pay for

Yeah but I'd wonder how much they care about that. Could certainly make it ballot as well though, nothing stopping them. Point was just in the current system you put your deposit down and agree to go before you know if you'll get a campervan or glamping spot.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Or get your act together and secure either a working position or volunteer.

Exactly. It's not like there aren't multiple avenues to getting in legitimately. People seem to think they're owed it all. I didn't get a ticket back before Covid for a few years in a row and I wasn't whining about it on social media. It is what it is.

The ideal scenario where everyone who wants to go gets a ticket doesn't exist so you have to go in with eyes open to the reality that you might come away empty handed and that's fine. Get yourself off to Portugal for a long weekend instead or something. 

21 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

It gets called for every year, there is no denying the system could be made objectively fairer.

The only way I can see it changing is when the bias in the system no longer favours the masses (i.e. a tech trick comes in that is even more effective than people in large spreadsheets / people pay to use) then I'm sure, shock horror, people will suddenly cry foul as they no longer are the most advantaged group.

This is exactly what frustrates me though. Everyone on here happy to join a huge spreadsheet to increase their odds then some knowledgable techies find a workaround and all of a sudden they're aggrieved because their own social "hack" becomes the second best option. Give over!

Just now, Skip997 said:

I've been there every year I've wanted to be there and only ever bought a ticket once.

And that's fantastic for you and I'm happy you have that opportunity. I personally wouldn't want to work the festival as I don't have a band nor want to work a rough shift but at least I'm honest with myself 😄 

9 minutes ago, skinnymike said:

GF would not change a winning formula unless there were dire consequences which, let's be honest, there aren't.

What do you think the dire consequences of letting touts buy tickets were? Again, Glasto invested in a whole new, never done before photo registration ticket system just to stop touts. Regardless of the fact that touts actually increased demand, made tickets harder to get hold of, increased the rarity and let them say "sold out in minutes". A entire new ticketing system just to make it fairer. 

I mean, maybe they've changed and wouldn't do that if we were in a similar situation today. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah but I'd wonder how much they care about that. Could certainly make it ballot as well though, nothing stopping them. Point was just in the current system you put your deposit down and agree to go before you know if you'll get a campervan or glamping spot.

Aye. It would add complications. People now who do not get accommodation they will pop the ticket back in the pot and those registered try again. Going to ignore those who have change of circumstances.  So in a resale they would have to go out again and ask if everyone wanted to be in the next ballot, admin headache. 

Edited by fred quimby

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The irony of people complaining about hacks and syndicates not being fair on a thread called '2024 Ticket Buying Tips'

Not really. I'll take every tax break the government offers me while still campaigning for people like me to be charged more in tax. 

Not everyone is purely motivated by self-interest. The notion you can't criticise a system that you participate is one that's become pretty prevalent everywhere in UK society of late and it's massively problematic.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What do you think the dire consequences of letting touts buy tickets were? Again, Glasto invested in a whole new, never done before photo registration ticket system just to stop touts. Regardless of the fact that touts actually increased demand, made tickets harder to get hold of, increased the rarity and let them say "sold out in minutes". A entire new ticketing system just to make it fairer. 

I mean, maybe they've changed and wouldn't do that if we were in a similar situation today. 

I couldn't say but I imagine revenue and or reputation had something to do with it. If your attendees have already have to pay over the odds for a ticket would they be as likely to spend as much once inside? 

Re: reputation it gives them the clout to say "we hate touting and we actively invest to stamp it out". 

I don't think changing the system they have today is worth it for them in all honesty. We can't possibly know how many people got through and paid without any manipulation of the system in place and neither can they. Until their reputation is being damaged, demand falls off or revenue is hurt why bother? 

I do think they'll be having tough conversations with SeeTickets though. Deleted registrations this year and previous farces actively harms their reputation. 

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

All on the same wifi?  So each at 2 seconds refresh but counted together would ‘break’ the so called limit. But you still got through? Interesting…

Pretty sure the rate limiting is based on browser session, not on IP address. Each different browser on a device (or on different devices) gets a different unique cookie to identify its session, so they look like different devices.

However, multiple tabs in the same browser will use the same cookie, and be identified as a single device.

This is the only fair way to do it in these days of CGNAT, where lots of people share the same IP address.

Edited by Cheesey

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

It's an interesting idea which runs into the problem that having a load of people all trying to login at 9am potentially creates the same overloaded server issue you have at the moment. So you'd be refreshing to even get the chance to login. But the question is how much of the current "holding screen" system is because the system *can't* go any fast, and how much of it is because Glasto want the ticket sale to last around an hour and so throttle it.

In my experience the limiting factor is how fast your payment gateway provider can process credit cards, most other parts of the system are pretty easy to scale up

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

No tech knowledge but they are supposed to have fixed it haven’t they ? Isn’t that the best thing ? That takes us back a stage doesn’t it ? 

Yep, we've had our fill.

Everyone back to an even playing field next year is the best outcome for this whole situation.

Can I put forward the theory that I'm not so sure the oft-quoted advantage of being in a big buying group is as unfair as it's being made out to be? And that maybe those mythical people on Discord who are rumoured to have got through time after time were already taking advantage of the IP hacks? 

Look at it in terms of the number of people in a group trying for just one person's ticket at any one time.  Everyone in a group of 6 starts off trying for their own group first. So that's 6 people trying on behalf of each individual. 

Now assume that, as with the spreadsheet I was on, half of the groups get through to buy tickets. In theory, each person with a ticket can then start helping the next ticketless group on the spreadsheet. Now each ticketless person has on average 12 people trying for them.  

But for us, that was as high as it got, because none of the lead bookers was able to get through for a second time before the sale ended. So in spite of being in a large group, each individual member only had between 6 - 12 people trying on their behalf. Even with extra helpers roped in, that's not a massive advantage. 

I suspect it's not easy at all to get back to the booking screen a second time, and that most of the people rumoured to have managed this were only enabled by means of the IP hacks already discussed. 

In summary, I don't think that forming syndicates with other forum members should be blamed for hoovering up all the tickets. The real issue is the IP hacks!

Edit: Just to add that the biggest advantage of being in our group was the brilliant organiser who made a massive effort to keep our spreadsheet up to date and organised!

Edited by BookAngel
  • Upvote 1