2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

Nope - Halifax.

I approved the payment in the banking app, and got booking complete screen with the ref no. And an email confirming I was lead booker with four other tickets.

No-one else has received an email and it's just sat "Pending" in the bank Account - with no way to push it through from my end..

7 minutes ago, panasonic2011 said:

Did people hammer f5 trying to get tickets?

Im still nervous about the phantom holding page if I refresh to quickly.  I got booking page tonight by hammering f5 but didn’t know if the coach sales are handled differently to the main sale 

No they’re not. F5 is your best bet. 

34 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Nope - Halifax.

I approved the payment in the banking app, and got booking complete screen with the ref no. And an email confirming I was lead booker with four other tickets.

No-one else has received an email and it's just sat "Pending" in the bank Account - with no way to push it through from my end..

You have the tickets, payments are normally pending for a few days, as it's just a hold first then it processes.

6 minutes ago, panasonic2011 said:

Im still nervous about the phantom holding page if I refresh to quickly.  I got booking page tonight by hammering f5 but didn’t know if the coach sales are handled differently to the main sale 

I just pressed F5 randomly and struck lucky. 

BTW : I used Magical "Autofill" and programmed #1 ,#2 etc as reg nos and postcodes so when I got to the booking page it was simply #1 [tab] #2 [tab] etc and the form was filled in rather than trying to cut-n-paste them in.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Nope - Halifax.

You’ll be fine. It’ll clear in the morning when See get around to processing your payment at their end. Had the same with credit card payments in the past being stuck in pending. It’s down to the merchant. You have your confirmation number so all will be well. One year (2010 sales), See contacted me as there’d been an issue with processing my payment. All resolved and I didn’t lose my tickets. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

depends on the setup, everything might go thru the same gateway and show as the ip address of that gateway - or it might not (i've come across both)in theory a lot of traffic from one ip address could be considered to be a denial of service attack (i guess the protection software is smarter than that, and can get a mac address or something to differentiate the devices.

We had a few people trying from work and they had the "refreshing too fast" issue so I suspect you could have the same issue if 20+ people are all exiting via one external ip-address. Probably means you just have to hit F5 less often

Having said that my 1Gig Virginmedia connection didn't get a sniff and was stuck at the holding page well after tickets had sold out, I got through on a laptop tethered to my 5G phone, so if you have a couple of devices it may be worth running one on 5G.

Edited by Penrhos

16 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Having said that my 1Gig Virginmedia connection didn't get a sniff and was stuck at the holding page well after tickets had sold out, I got through on a laptop tethered to my 5G phone, so if you have a couple of devices it may be worth running one on 5G.

Any ideas why this happens - being able to still get the page and refresh after it's sold out?

Could it be the holding page of doom?

100% it's the dreaded "Holding page of doom" - I'm pretty sure See either drop poisoned cookies or have dummy transactional servers they use to reduce the load on the actual servers - almost like a honey-pot. I've had this happen too many times for it not to be a coincidence. 

even quitting Chrome and relaunching it made no difference - only deleting cookies and browsing data brought up the "sold out page".

Edited by Penrhos
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, assorted said:

Why would you attend a festival with a “crowd” you have such disdain for? 

I enjoy it? Doesn't mean it can't be full of arseholes, just like an internet forum.

It also doesn't help having the same people at a festival over, and over and over.

The crowd the last few years have been full of coked up arseholes and has had a strong T in the park vibe.

8 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I enjoy it? Doesn't mean it can't be full of arseholes, just like an internet forum.

It also doesn't help having the same people at a festival over, and over and over.

The crowd the last few years have been full of coked up arseholes and has had a strong T in the park vibe.

Do you genuinely think Glastonbury is full of arseholes? 

God - if he hates the Glasto crowd - try R&L. I won't go anymore, you'd have to pay me. Leeds is slightly better than Reading but both are full of twats. 

I have noticed a change in atmosphere at Glasto post-pandemic, almost if people are trying too hard and partying too-hard to make up for lockdown and the economy being a bit sh*t, but it's not as bad as other large festivals I've been to.  

10 minutes ago, skinnymike said:

Do you genuinely think Glastonbury is full of arseholes? 

I've been about 10 times since 2008.

In my opinion the crowd the last two or three years has been awful. (As an aside, I really think losing the green police to stop arseholes pissing everywhere is a big mistake)

Just general ignorance, groups forcing through crowds 20mins into sets, massive groups sitting at stages getting pissed, chairs and blankets into the evening etc., shoving past prams / wheelchairs / families.

I think the massive rise of casual coke use is probably the main driver for this tbh

Not missed one since my first in 2003. Yup I Was in 'that' group, and probably some of the other annoying groups when much younger, all nighters, all dayers, no sleep for the wicked etc. Now slightly greyer, and happy sat at the top of the pyramid watching bands all day, sober I might add, and then drive home with me missus back to Bristol in about 35 minutes and in my bed by 1am, to arrive fresh for lunchtime all over again. And I wouldn't change it for the world 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, panasonic2011 said:

when you say "hammering f5" were you doing it the 1 refresh per second or just constantly pressing more than that, like rapid fire?

Edited by pablowoods

2 hours ago, Penrhos said:

We had a few people trying from work and they had the "refreshing too fast" issue so I suspect you could have the same issue if 20+ people are all exiting via one external ip-address. Probably means you just have to hit F5 less often

Out of interest, how did you know that you had the "refreshing too fast" issue at work? I've never been able to tell whether the holding page I see is the normal one or the refreshing-too-fast one, so I'd be interested in any tips.....

5 hours ago, Neil said:

depends on the setup, everything might go thru the same gateway and show as the ip address of that gateway - or it might not (i've come across both)in theory a lot of traffic from one ip address could be considered to be a denial of service attack (i guess the protection software is smarter than that, and can get a mac address or something to differentiate the devices.

Recent thoughts are that See can differentiate between devices on a shared IP by reading the connection port that each outgoing connection is randomly assigned by the router.

4 hours ago, Penrhos said:

100% it's the dreaded "Holding page of doom" - I'm pretty sure See either drop poisoned cookies or have dummy transactional servers they use to reduce the load on the actual servers - almost like a honey-pot. I've had this happen too many times for it not to be a coincidence. 

even quitting Chrome and relaunching it made no difference - only deleting cookies and browsing data brought up the "sold out page".

I’m not so sure about this. The last of my devices to lose the holding page (waaaay after sold out) was my work mobile, on 4G, which I’d just left to refresh on the 20 second countdown.

My theory was that, for plenty of time after officially sold out, the servers are still extremely overloaded with people like me hopefully hanging on. As devices gradually get through, after sell out they get to the Event not found page - whereas if they’d got through earlier, they’d have seen the reg entry page.

5 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Yeah. Cause coke is easy to get. Would be way different if there was actually good weed to chill everyone the hell out.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, panasonic2011 said:

I 100% think my house got sent to the phantom hold page. There were 3 of us with at least 4 windows (2 chrome + 2 incognito) all trying. 60/ 12 means we can only refresh every 5 seconds 

Reason I think I was on the fake page is cos I was still on the hold page well after they sold out.

10 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I've been about 10 times since 2008.

In my opinion the crowd the last two or three years has been awful. (As an aside, I really think losing the green police to stop arseholes pissing everywhere is a big mistake)

Just general ignorance, groups forcing through crowds 20mins into sets, massive groups sitting at stages getting pissed, chairs and blankets into the evening etc., shoving past prams / wheelchairs / families.

I think the massive rise of casual coke use is probably the main driver for this tbh

2022 was bad, 2023 was fine.

But I am in general agreement with you about the bits I've highlighted.

Coke use has become a huge problem nationwide.