2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

Just now, freshmeat1982 said:

after being informed that my Glasto registration had been deleted, I've since gone on a re-registered only to find out that my original registration is still valid! So I have two separate registrations with different email addresses and the same name, address. Question I have is on ticket sale day can I try with both registrations or will I get an error or rejection?

Wouldn’t take the risk tbh .. unlikely they’d spot it but you never know . What advantage would it give you ? Would you be in multiple groups ? 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Wouldn’t take the risk tbh .. unlikely they’d spot it but you never know . What advantage would it give you ? Would you be in multiple groups ? 

that was my thinking, could I give my second registration details to a friend to try for me on ticket day. Although get your point with it being risky! Given then are showing as two valid registrations today I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has come across this question before!

6 minutes ago, freshmeat1982 said:

after being informed that my Glasto registration had been deleted, I've since gone on a re-registered only to find out that my original registration is still valid! So I have two separate registrations with different email addresses and the same name, address. Question I have is on ticket sale day can I try with both registrations or will I get an error or rejection?

You can have as many registrations as you want.

Trying with more than one seems.. pointless*. You only need one to buy a ticket.

*the only exception I can think of would be if something f**ks up in the buying process, and you become subject to the 10 minute lockout, in which case yes definitely switch to the alternate.

3 minutes ago, freshmeat1982 said:

that was my thinking, could I give my second registration details to a friend to try for me on ticket day. Although get your point with it being risky! Given then are showing as two valid registrations today I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has come across this question before!

Just give the reg that you are trying with to a friend once you’ve purchased tickets or they have that reg will be locked so you can’t get duplicates 

6 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

Is this sale going to be a normal sale where you have to enter all your details including payment details? Or is it like the resale this year where it only required registration numbers and sold out in seconds? Have they told us that yet? I’m wondering how pessimistic I should be. 

standard sale they've said pay as you go 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, incident said:

Trying with more than one seems.. pointless*. You only need one to buy a ticket.

*the only exception I can think of would be if something f**ks up in the buying process, and you become subject to the 10 minute lockout, in which case yes definitely switch to the alternate.

thanks, sounds like it might be worth keeping the 2nd registration for that purpose..... perhaps

42 minutes ago, incident said:

This^

Note though the 'lockout' this time round is now just 5 minutes rather than 10.

18 minutes ago, Supreme2 said:

always wondered this in all these sales but never tried haha, say i'm hammering F5 and get through, if I were to refresh again by accident do you still have access to page or will it go back holding?

Once you get a booking page it's yours for 5 minutes to enter details and proceed to payment....if you hit F5 by mistake you'll get the page back (as long as you are still within the 5 minute window....) but you’ll need to enter all the details again.

Edited by parsonjack

Techy questions. If I go into work on a Uni campus and use their fast network, is the fact that hundreds of students could also be trying for tickets on the same network a problem? Is this the same as an IP address? Apologies I have no idea about this stuff!

1 hour ago, midlifecrisis said:

Techy questions. If I go into work on a Uni campus and use their fast network, is the fact that hundreds of students could also be trying for tickets on the same network a problem? Is this the same as an IP address? Apologies I have no idea about this stuff!

Do you mean UoN? If so then drop me a message and I'll give a detailed answer.

Otherwise - it depends on a lot of variables, some on the wider network side some specific to how that PC has been registered for network access, but yeah it's likely you'll be sharing a public IP address with any student on wifi or in a computer room.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midlifecrisis said:

Ok so, an IP Address is a bit of code that every device on the Internet has to enable it be uniquely identified. Now, because there aren't enough unique IP Addresses to allocate to every single device across the planet (there are with recent developments but that's for another day...) some sharing is necessary.  This is achieved by assigning what are known as 'Public' and 'Private' IP Addresses, where unique Private addresses are assigned to each device within say, a house, and a single Public address is assigned to the house (actually the broadband router...) itself.  That allows all devices within the house to have unique IP's, but a single IP advertised to the rest of the Internet, and therefore to Seetickets.    

Is this a problem? Well, the jury is out on the definitive answer I'm afraid.  Certainly we know there is some monitoring by Seetickets at IP Address level and breaching a 60 hits/minute limit *could* get you the 'Busy' page, whether the system is actually 'Busy' or not.  That page will stay with you until the refresh rate is seen to fall below 60/minute.

As above, with shared wifi connections such as Uni halls etc, everyone trying will be seen as the same IP by See, so it could be assumed that the 60/min limit would be breached very quickly and the chances of all those folks using that connection are somewhat limited as a result.  That said, See are undoubtedly aware of the disadvantage that would present, and almost certainly mitigate the risk to Customers in some manner.  Quite how they do that remains unclear but there is some thought that See's use of 'load-balancing' (where 'hits' are distributed in turn across a number of servers) reduces the chances of any single server seeing more than 60 hits/min from any single IP, and therefore minimises the risk to shared connections such as Uni halls etc.

How to minimise the risk?  Don't rely solely on Uni wifi and use multiple devices where each one has a unique IP address eg use your Uni wifi for one device, 4/5G hotspot from a mobile for a second device eg tablet, and native 4/5G on another phone for a third device.  

Just a last point.....your 'fast' Uni network isn't the droid you're looking for......what is more important is maximising the number of hits you can make, while staying within the limit.  

Edited by parsonjack
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3