2024 headline speculation

airwaves

5 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Never listened to Bonny Prince Billy (other than that one song about the seeing darkness). Any pointers?

Well, he's not on Spotify, so you'll have to dig. His "magnum opus" is "I See A Darkness" (the album), but he's prolific. I would also check out The Letting Go, Wolfroy Goes To Town and Ease Down The Road. Also check out his earlier stuff as "Palace Brothers/Music" as he'll probably play some of that too

That's a very decent line up, I find the antipathy to Idles on here somewhat baffling and the idea that 'Idles fans' wouldn't be interested in anything else on the bill completely ridiculous. However quite a lot of repeat bookings so not sure it's quite enough for me to decide to go this year.

25 minutes ago, Johnny5eyes said:

That's a very decent line up, I find the antipathy to Idles on here somewhat baffling and the idea that 'Idles fans' wouldn't be interested in anything else on the bill completely ridiculous. However quite a lot of repeat bookings so not sure it's quite enough for me to decide to go this year.

The bit about their fans was really stupid imo but otherwise I guess familiarity breeds contempt

22 minutes ago, Johnny5eyes said:

I think personally it's more apathy than antipathy, I don't feel like it's a particularly exciting or imaginative headliner.

Having said that I think it'll be a hugely popular set and I don't think i've ever watched every Woods headliner so I'm not bothered and will make lots of people very happy!

Hoping Lankum are the Garden headliner that night so I don't have to make too many tough decisions.

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I've had a go at a speculative Clashfinder - it's relatively pointless at this stage because we don't have any day confirmations except BPB (and NewDad, who have gigs Friday to Sunday) but it shows where everything might fit together going on the graphic. https://clashfinder.com/s/eotr2024/

Love your work.  Can you do something about the phosphorescent, sprints, Mozart estate, Ichiko aboa, Jess Williamson clash though?

1 hour ago, shoebox said:

Well, he's not on Spotify, so you'll have to dig. His "magnum opus" is "I See A Darkness" (the album), but he's prolific. I would also check out The Letting Go, Wolfroy Goes To Town and Ease Down The Road. Also check out his earlier stuff as "Palace Brothers/Music" as he'll probably play some of that too

Some of his stuff is on Spotify. His latest solo shows have been really intimate so not sure how that will work on a big stage.

1 hour ago, iamdiceman said:

I think personally it's more apathy than antipathy, I don't feel like it's a particularly exciting or imaginative headliner.

Having said that I think it'll be a hugely popular set and I don't think i've ever watched every Woods headliner so I'm not bothered and will make lots of people very happy!

Hoping Lankum are the Garden headliner that night so I don't have to make too many tough decisions.

Quite. I wasn't bothered about any of the headliners last year, although did end up quite enjoying Future Islands. Idles are quite a coup for EOTR given the relative popularity of the recent Woods headliners whether you like them or not. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

Some of his stuff is on Spotify. His latest solo shows have been really intimate so not sure how that will work on a big stage.

Yeah, the last time I saw him was solo at the Union Chapel (Simon was there, unsurprisingly). It looks like recent setlists have been heavily drawing from the latest album, but who knows what sort of set we'll get in the autumn!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bonnie-prince-billy/2024/alexis-and-jim-pugh-theater-orlando-fl-43aca7e7.html

2 hours ago, clownfoot said:

Now that the line up has been released we can look forward to 7 months of people complaining about the day splits and set times not being released yet

Whilst we are appreciating the fun involved in moaning and doom mongering , can I just indulge in some pointless speculation about the weather forecast also please.  It will be rubbish according to blah blah blah..... 🙂 

My mates have been on about this festival for a while and this will be the first year I can get to it. 

Fever Ray at Field Day was one of the best sets I have ever seen so I am very excited to get to it again over the summer. Wonder will it be altered in any way but regardless, it will be fantastic.

I was never really an Idles fan until I saw them live and that quickly changed my opinion of them. They put on a hell of a show.

I just hope Lankum doesn't clash with either. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

YLT | Fever Ray | Lankum would be a great set of headliners for me.  Would probably skip Slowdive having seen them last year and probably again at Wide Awake this year.

Acts I’d be extremely excited for would be Ichiko Aoba, Cornelius, Sanam, Richard Dawson, Blue Lake and Tara Clerkin Trio.

Lots of others I’d be keen for like Jockstrap, Joanna Sternberg, Mdou Moctar, Sleater Kinney, Bonnie Prince Billy, Nourished by Time, Mary Lattimore, SLIFT, Water From Your Eyes and ML Buch.

Lots to explore as well which is good. 

Brilliant selection you've pointed out there.

• Upvote 1

Great lineup! Just sad it is conflicting with both Supersonic Festival and Moseley Folk Festival. But I can see Sleater-Kinney + Yo La Tengo at APE, Camera Obscura in June, Slowdive next week, Lankum in May, so I have that covered already.

12 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

My initial take is that the top lines seem a lot better than last year but maybe the undercard isn’t quite as eclectic (potentially will change my view on undercard as there are some I’m not familiar with). 

Slowdive, Fever Ray, Bonnie Prince Billy, Yo La Tengo, Sleater Kinney, Lankum, Jockstrap, Mdou Moctar, Richard Dawson, Cornelius all brilliant big names.

From undercard my faves are: Sanam, Ichiko Aoba, Blue Lake, Tara Clerkin Trio, Joanna Sternberg, Mary Lattimore, Water From Your Eyes, Nourished by Time, ML Buch, Mui Zyu and Ugly. 

This is pretty much exactly my list of acts to see (not so keen on Fever Ray or Water From Your Eyes but pretty much everything else)! I'd chuck Setting in there too - reckon you'd like them - and Lisa O'Neill, Mark William Lewis, Molly Lewis... but yeah top stuff. Let's hang out!