2024 headline speculation

airwaves

Given there should be an announcement in the next four weeks and that while we've had no solid confirmations there's been some steer from European late August festival announcements, let's have a prediction game.

List what you think (i.e. not just hope) will be the four Woods headliners and also six other artists on the EOTR 2024 bill including at least one Garden headliner.

I haven't checked on availability, but I reckon a few from the Christmas album list seems a decent bet. I'm going to predict Fever Ray, Mandy Indiana, Joanna Sternberg, the Golden Dregs, Lankum and Tirzah.

I'll personally be keeping everything crossed for Big Thief and Blonde Redhead.

I'm pretty convinced that Big Thief will be one of them because of the cancelled 2020 headline slot. I still don't think PJ Harvey is impossible, but wouldn't bet my house on it. 

Don't know though. One thing EOTR has been very good at in recent years is being pretty unpredictable.

Would love Big Thief but I do feel like the fact they are playing 18th August and then going to Spain afterwards would suggest they are more likely at GM which is 15th-18th with a gig in Manchester/Halifax/Glasgow etc. prior. All speculation and hope I'm completely wrong!

3 hours ago, Ortiz34 said:

The Smile finishing EU tour on 28th Aug in Spain. Quick pop over to EoTR for weekend?

Theres a Green Man shaped hole there but would mean them traveling from Poland to Wales and then back to Germany. Possible but so it EOTR yeah.

They are absolute shite though. 

Sorry for going off-topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for a European festival similar to EOTR/GM? 

Quite fancy the music experience somewhere a bit warmer. I've done Primavera Porto a few times, which whilst a lot of fun, is also a bit corporate. 

Ta

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

I'd say Juniore (French) and Molly Payton (New Zealander) are certs because they're over that weekend, maybe Holly Macve (Irish).* Otherwise everyone on the top two lines has either played in the last couple of years or in Temples' case don't feel very EOTR-y.

I'd agree with Big Thief, Sleater-Kinney and Slowdive as solid guesses for headliners but I can't work out the fourth, there's been speculation about IDLES but I'd guess they're playing some of the Superstruct set (I know they're probably subbing at Truck from today's talk) and they don't quite feel right. Of course it may well be someone who hasn't announced a new album yet and is doing UK/just London dates around EOTR like UMO and Ezra did.

( * Same applies from the Manchester Psych line-up to Mdou Moctar, Wine Lips, Bonny Doon, Gurriers, Hello Mary and Mui Zyu)

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 1