Visiting the site

ian_sw

Afternoon,

Having a break near the festival site next month and wondering if it is ok to visit the site? Appreciate it is a working farm so don’t want to intrude or trespass but am sure I’ve seen people comment on having a walk round and see the dragon, stone circle and pyramid etc

it would be just us, the kids and dog on lead.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:38 PM, Ommadawn said:

I always thought the official line was to ask at the festival office beforehand. I've never known the answer to be no (out of the festival build and dismantling of course).

What festival office. Its a working farm. its a lot of different farms. There are footpaths 

10 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

What festival office. Its a working farm. its a lot of different farms. There are footpaths 

Only one footpath on site which goes round through Woodies and round the back of Steanbow farm . The other just passes in front of Worthy farm house. Before joining the roadIMG_0565.thumb.png.96a28d1287bffc828b89d13e6e9304af.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Only one footpath on site which goes round through Woodies and round the back of Steanbow farm . The other just passes in front of Worthy farm house. Before joining the roadIMG_0565.thumb.png.96a28d1287bffc828b89d13e6e9304af.png

Yes, from the village through woods to the tithe barn is a public path, nice seat in the barn grounds! 

IMG_0608.thumb.png.1c9cc449001fe8b17e202b5f7a62d4db.png

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:43 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

The official line is no …. But people do ( and I have ) be respectful steer clear of any work going on ( site should be back as fields by then ) it should be ok . 

A hell of a lot of us are not getting this at all. Who are you to tell people that they can gain access to all of these many many  different farms that make up Glastonbury

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

The road/path to avoid is the one from the red gate down past park farm. They understandably don’t like pedestrians on it as a lot of farm traffic use it .
Otherwise during quiet times we’ve visited, respecting the country code, and avoided areas where folk are working. Occasionally a vehicle passed us with a cheery wave from the driver. The lanes around the perimeter of the site also provide nice walks. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

11 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

They are not there me thinks for visitors. What does your common sense tell thee. I maybe wrong.

Correct.....but given that there are no public rights of way across the site, with the 2 exceptions above that offer little experience, the 'festival office' is the place to go to seek approval for a walk.  You could try a random stockman attending to 50 head of dairy herd but unless he's got a beard and a pair of shorts on he might be less interested.

17 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

They are not there me thinks for visitors. What does your common sense tell thee. I maybe wrong.

Well, I was just quoting what Michael has told me on many occasions, but then what does he know 🙂

Edited by Ommadawn
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Must have misread you sorry when you said what Festival Office. Which sounds like a question which I answered.  Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick

1 hour ago, deadponyclub said:

anyone know if this route around the site (mainly roads and a few footpaths) is currently possible?
image.thumb.png.507696ba9c735fd31a4ec36a2f37e5b1.png

Pretty sure you'd be able to do that now as there are no public roads closed now, and the 2 public footpaths that are partially on the site were re-opened from 21st July. 

Note that your zig-zag route due West to due North does not follow the marked footpath which is more direct.  I think you may be following some of the site 'tracks' there which, although not likely to cause you any difficulty, are not public rights of way. It's the yellow one on here which goes across the top left corner of Bushy Ground as you look at it.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 13.00.45.png

• Like 1

I went on Saturday. Second time I've been when the festival isn't on (went in May last year as well) - it's such a nice, yet slightly surreal experience.

I had my niece & nephew (3 & a half) with me this time which was very nice, so I didn't go too far - just the Pyramid field & Woodsies - nobody else on the farm (apart from a dozen cows).

• Like 1

I don't want to comment too much on visiting the farm now as I'm not sure what the official line is but all I'll say is when I do go I park by Pilton Skateboard Park and walk in through Marys Gate. Always so amazing to visit the farm. Even when absolutely nothing is there other than the pyramid structure it's crazy how much happiness the place can bring.

A video I always link to is this one which shows the difference between when the festival is on and not. I'm sure there are loads of these but this one I love: 

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

22 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I don't want to comment too much on visiting the farm now as I'm not sure what the official line is but all I'll say is when I do go I park by Pilton Skateboard Park and walk in through Marys Gate. Always so amazing to visit the farm. Even when absolutely nothing is there other than the pyramid structure it's crazy how much happiness the place can bring.

A video I always link to is this one which shows the difference between when the festival is on and not. I'm sure there are loads of these but this one I love: 

Love that, very well put together 

On 7/29/2023 at 9:59 PM, marathonsteve said:

A hell of a lot of us are not getting this at all. Who are you to tell people that they can gain access to all of these many many  different farms that make up Glastonbury

Whenever we've done it there has been no issues from anyone we've seen at all. 

use your common sense (I.e, park/pennard hill was being used for clay pigeon shooting/certain hidden bar was fenced off so gave them both a moss). If asked to leave say no worries and move along.

Gave a few people from Worthy Farm a wave whilst walking and they all simply waved back, didn't seem too angry to us.

I went last Autumn. Parked by the Co-Op and walked into the (now) Woodsies area. We followed the lead of a couple of walkers/runners and wandered around the back of the pyramid field, up the edge on the Other Stage field to the Railway Line. Spotted a few remnants of the festival, identified a few areas (its quite disorientating at times), then retraced our steps and left. Lovely thing to do.