Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

22 hours ago, This_Fields_Good said:

Personally, I'd say it's rather early for that last ditch, grin-and-bear-it optimism;
bit like giving up on getting a GA ticket before the Ticket Resale.

Oxfam have been collecting all the returns since the main giveaway on 1st Feb, including anything after the Resale.  In the next couple of weeks, probably announced upfront, they will release all those places; by my assessment, that will be certainly dozens, and probably quite a few more than that !

Then later last year they also had two smaller out-of-hours batches and loads of sporadic places here and there.
All in all, I'd say that's got to be more than 100 spaces still to be filled.

Does that make it a shoe-in to get one ?
I'd say no, cos there will be 100s, if not 1000s of would-be volunteers keeping an eye out to try and snag them.

Good luck, and nil desperandum, to those still in the game !

Of course! Plenty of time to grab an oxfam spot between now and the festival, some big batches coming up as in previous years no doubt. I was just trying to make the point that the window of opportunity is open right up to the festival. 😀

Doesn’t strike me as the best plan surely the best festival to get people interested in volunteering generally is Glastonbury . ? Just strikes me as they are struggling to fill that gap this year and this is a short term solution . But they make the plans not me 😂guess they’ll use this to plug gaps going forward ? And what about those signed up already do they get priority which won’t help shindig ? 

Well, I think it’s clever! And fair. How much do you want to go to Glastonbury? 

It’s actually better than it sounds… By doing Shindig you’re essentially securing your Glasto place for THIS YEAR AND NEXT YEAR because you’ll have priority for next year too!  

Alternatively choose any two other festivals this year and get priority for Glasto next year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Interesting that Oxfam say they’ve had the lowest number of cancellations too… just like Emily!

Some people will accuse them of lying too probably 😂

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, stuie said:

It’s actually better than it sounds… By doing Shindig you’re essentially securing your Glasto place for THIS YEAR AND NEXT YEAR because you’ll have priority for next year too!

Yeah. We always get "how do I get priority?" type posts after it's too late, but this is a way for people who want to and have the time to get themselves on the list.

The way I read it, it's not necessarily a pre-requisite, as it sounds like Glastonbury places will still reopen to the general public - once the newly prioritised people have grabbed their spots.

25 minutes ago, stuie said:

Interesting that Oxfam say they’ve had the lowest number of cancellations too… just like Emily!

Some people will accuse them of lying too probably 😂

Yep. Though there might be a slight caveat that it's still a week from the cancellation deadline, and so scope for numbers to change.

18 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Does feel like major bribery from Oxfam as they know how sought after places at Glasto are…but fair play to them really. I could quite easily be bribed if Shindig wasn’t about 340 miles away 😂

Worth noting that with Festaff, doing Glastonbury is conditional on you signing up for a second festival too! 

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Yep. Though there might be a slight caveat that it's still a week from the cancellation deadline, and so scope for numbers to change.

Ah yes, but anyone that cancels between now and next week will be cancelling because they’ve got a ticket in the resale or their situation has changed, not because they don’t rate the line up this year! 

48 minutes ago, stuie said:

I was going to say exactly the same thing, I think it's a brilliant opportunity for anyone wanting to guarantee a place at the next two Glastonbury festivals. I can see the places getting snapped up! 👍🏻

35 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I was going to say exactly the same thing, I think it's a brilliant opportunity for anyone wanting to guarantee a place at the next two Glastonbury festivals. I can see the places getting snapped up! 👍🏻

If I didn’t have priority and a place already I’d jump at the chance, subject to getting leave approved. 

Without priority status It’s going to be very difficult to get a place at Glasto in future years.  As more people qualify, getting a place without it is going to be almost impossible. 

So I have signed up for Shindig - have been trying for Oxfam spot for Glastonbury and failed in resales. Aside from competitions ( more chocolate arriving tomorrow!) I think this is my best chance yet. I think it’s a small festival so probably a good one for a first time volunteer spot and it’s only 60miles drive away ( I’m in Dorset ) and £50 deposit . Just a bit worried it will be cold in May and whether I can cope with camping after my hip op!! Feeling optimistic- just need to make sure work is ok but I’d already booked time off at end of May anyway. 🤞

28 minutes ago, sedra said:

So I have signed up for Shindig - have been trying for Oxfam spot for Glastonbury and failed in resales. Aside from competitions ( more chocolate arriving tomorrow!) I think this is my best chance yet. I think it’s a small festival so probably a good one for a first time volunteer spot and it’s only 60miles drive away ( I’m in Dorset ) and £50 deposit . Just a bit worried it will be cold in May and whether I can cope with camping after my hip op!! Feeling optimistic- just need to make sure work is ok but I’d already booked time off at end of May anyway. 🤞

I am in a Glastonbury Facebook group for people with disabilities. Someone highly recommended these sleeping bags for keeping snug in a tent and they come in various sizes.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/sleeping/sleeping-bags/br:pod/

You can also get hot water from the marquee so take a hot water bottle. I would also let Oxfam know that you are post op so they accommodate your needs via reasonable adjustments. It's on the form you complete once you have a confirmed place, or you can drop them an email. 🙂

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sedra said:

Shindig is a new one, so I don't think there's been any confirmation yet on specific roles. But I'd say that it's pretty likely that the actual volunteering will be significantly more fun there than it is at Glastonbury - more likely to be in and around interesting areas, probably a lot more relaxed, and a smaller team usually means friendlier.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1