Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

1 hour ago, tarw said:

I am in a terrible shape for my early 60s!

I can still do an 8 hour manic bar shift at our local Blackberry Fair for charity. 

I would not even consider doing clear up crew as I’d imagine that’s a totally different ball game, even without seeing the job description 

Im sure that LightChance will be fine with the shifts if she does a bit of prep work and doesn’t stay in The Temple until 6am

Well I say "old", I'm 53. Still feel 80 years old some days. Desk job, WFH, so spend the majority of my days sitting on my arse.

Glastonbury as a punter has been known to cripple me and that's with plenty of sitting down time. Deffo need to get match fit!

5 minutes ago, LightChanceOfCloud said:

Well I say "old", I'm 53. Still feel 80 years old some days. Desk job, WFH, so spend the majority of my days sitting on my arse.

Glastonbury as a punter has been known to cripple me and that's with plenty of sitting down time. Deffo need to get match fit!

See you in the Temple at 6 then

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Afterlife said:

Anyone know around what time the coaches would be leaving Bristol for Avalon volunteers? I'd be flying in that morning and am trying to figure out exactly how early I'll have to go.

Last year the earliest was midday and the latest was 5pm

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stuie said:

They already said they are not.

Please can you move on now and not take over this thread with negativity.  Oxfam have clear contact details and a complaints procedure if anyone wants to raise their issues. 

Absolute Rubbish I camped beside someone at a Oxfam festival who said on their application form they can't stand heights . Where do you think they put her.

14 hours ago, stuie said:

Please can you move on now and not take over this thread with negativity.  Oxfam have clear contact details and a complaints procedure if anyone wants to raise their issues. 

Your an Oxfam Supervisor so you say What are their complaints procedure if you please

14 hours ago, stuie said:

I don't regard having a discussion about those Absolutely Special people who have disabilities as a NEGATIVE issue    

8 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Move on where !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell US

Please feel free to start your own thread if it's a topic you wish to discuss about Oxfams operations and complaints about them.

This one is for sharing of opportunities for volunteering or highlighting work opportunities at this year's Glastonbury.

The last few pages have derailed the whole flow of this topic. 

Edited by Paul ™
  • Like 1

I did clear up crew last year and the brief beforehand stated. Arduous, physically demanding, relentless etc. by day three we had lost around 20% of the crew as it was too much for them physically.

what happened to them?  I bet they weren't asked to leave the festival

51 minutes ago, e_p said:

what happened to them?  I bet they weren't asked to leave the festival

I think that the clear up crew do the cleanup after the festival has finished 

If Oxfam follow previous years and do another glasto drop in May, this will be after the refund deadline for anyone who already has their oxfam place? My girlfriend has one and I want one, she isn’t keen on doing it alone so we don’t want to risk me not getting a place and being past the refund deadline. Is any glasto drop likely to be before the oxfam refund deadline?

39 minutes ago, hallamer said:

If Oxfam follow previous years and do another glasto drop in May, this will be after the refund deadline for anyone who already has their oxfam place?

Most likely yes - Oxfam will have a better idea of how many places they need to fill once the deadline has passed.

Obviously that creates something of a vicious circle for you, but it's kinda the only way it can work.

4 hours ago, hallamer said:

If Oxfam follow previous years and do another glasto drop in May, this will be after the refund deadline for anyone who already has their oxfam place? My girlfriend has one and I want one, she isn’t keen on doing it alone so we don’t want to risk me not getting a place and being past the refund deadline. Is any glasto drop likely to be before the oxfam refund deadline?

Oxfam will probably be after the refund deadline. You could both cancel your place and then both try again. For late additions the cancellation deadline is still there but slightly shorter. That's not ideal though

21 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Please feel free to start your own thread if it's a topic you wish to discuss about Oxfams operations and complaints about them.

This one is for sharing of opportunities for volunteering or highlighting work opportunities at this year's Glastonbury.

The last few pages have derailed the whole flow of this topic. 

Is it really? Did the OP state that was the reason for the post? No they didn't, you came along and decided to invent the rules. This is a post about volunteering, warts and all. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Is it really? Did the OP state that was the reason for the post? No they didn't, you came along and decided to invent the rules. This is a post about volunteering, warts and all. 

This is a post about volunteering in 2024. Sorry to hear about your experience but I’m not sure what the rants here are solving - it would be much more effective through the official channels. Aside from that, this thread and the ones from previous years have always been positive, polite and helpful so please let’s not let it decend into bickering. Thank you. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stuie said:

This is a post about volunteering in 2024. Sorry to hear about your experience but I’m not sure what the rants here are solving - it would be much more effective through the official channels. Aside from that, this thread and the ones from previous years have always been positive, polite and helpful so please let’s not let it decend into bickering. Thank you. 

I don't recall ranting on here, either in this thread or any others. I simply answered  a question about RA's as I have stewarded for Oxfam on 5 occasions and requested RA's pre-festival due to my accessible needs. This led to further questions which when I answered I was polite and helpful. Sorry I couldn't be positive, but as Meatloaf said "two out of three ain't bad". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2