So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

You "trips to the car" people really make it difficult on yourselves!

Turn up on Wednesday afternoon/Thursday morning (with less stuff) and you'll stroll in. 

It's one of those things where the solutions compound the problems though. The older I get, the less able I am to carry heavy stuff, but the more stuff I "need" to be comfortable. Need a bigger tent as can't get dressed lying down anymore. Need a camping chair as my back can't take five days without being able to sit on something with a backrest. Need a bigger mattress because the pain in my side means I can't sleep on the floor anymore. Need more drugs for various ailments. Need more changes of clothes because I sweat loads more, need a bigger sleeping bag because my body gets colder at night... it's all small things but it all adds up. I've actually been using the same backpack for 20 years, I bought it for my first Glastonbury. It used to mostly have cans in it. These days it gets filled up with the basics (which is fine, because if it has cans in it, I wouldn't be able to carry it anyway).

Honestly I don't know how old you are, but I certainly know I was one of those 20-somethings that would look at people with trolleys or doing multiple car runs and going "that's totally unnecessary" whereas now I see it very differently.

I am not sure as yet.  At the ahe of 61 although i love the fest and been eight times? I didnt get a ticket this year and instead we went to Latitude and really enjoyed it. I know there are 100 stages etc and the site huge but maybe time has come to part ways. The escalation of mire pop and EDM , and i understand this given age demographics, together with the getting in... and out, maybe have taken its toll. Not saying never as i has registered for tickets next year. But our group is getting thinner and thus less people to get tickets come October when smaller festivals are easier. And as said really enjoyed latitude this year. Glasto  had hardened me to the weather so it wasnt a thing.

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its really easy .... good luck strolling in wed or thurs pm if you want to camp with a reasonably sized group , our round trip was an hour extra on Thursday and meant I could have some added comfort and save 100 or so on the bar bills , everything went out that came in so no harm done 

That 2nd trip is a killer though. I did it, once. In 2010. Awful. Just spend the extra 100 quid. 

28 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's one of those things where the solutions compound the problems though. The older I get, the less able I am to carry heavy stuff, but the more stuff I "need" to be comfortable. Need a bigger tent as can't get dressed lying down anymore. Need a camping chair as my back can't take five days without being able to sit on something with a backrest. Need a bigger mattress because the pain in my side means I can't sleep on the floor anymore. Need more drugs for various ailments. Need more changes of clothes because I sweat loads more, need a bigger sleeping bag because my body gets colder at night... it's all small things but it all adds up. I've actually been using the same backpack for 20 years, I bought it for my first Glastonbury. It used to mostly have cans in it. These days it gets filled up with the basics (which is fine, because if it has cans in it, I wouldn't be able to carry it anyway).

Honestly I don't know how old you are, but I certainly know I was one of those 20-somethings that would look at people with trolleys or doing multiple car runs and going "that's totally unnecessary" whereas now I see it very differently.

Yeah obviously if you've reasons, proper reasons as above, then of course.

Im really referring to the cooler boxes, bbqs, stoves, frying pans, crockery and cutlery, enamel mugs, 5 kilos of food, inflatable sofas, 150 cans of beer, 2 weeks worth of clothes, bog roll, retractable clothes lines, big "day bags" crowd you see every year. 

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

That 2nd trip is a killer though. I did it, once. In 2010. Awful. Just spend the extra 100 quid. 

It’s pretty easy with bikes and trailers from carpark tbh … only difficult one was 2016 where the woodchip and massive ruts made it hard work . For me on a lower wage it makes it worth it and the first load can be exceptionally light for the first night if we’ve caught the coach 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Worthy view or Sticklinch is your solution. Car closeby if that’s your method of transport,  and you can make several trips to get your stuff. 

42 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Worthy view or Sticklinch is your solution. Car closeby if that’s your method of transport,  and you can make several trips to get your stuff. 

Yup, the only thing making us consider it in the future is Lovefields self pitch option. Means we can use our blackout tent and are closer to the bit of the fest we spend most time in.

But that or Worthy View basically double the cost of a ticket. And with what I mentioned upthread the value just isn't there for us anymore. The price increase on this years' base ticket alone was putting it on the edge, glamping pushes it over.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Yeah obviously if you've reasons, proper reasons as above, then of course.

Im really referring to the cooler boxes, bbqs, stoves, frying pans, crockery and cutlery, enamel mugs, 5 kilos of food, inflatable sofas, 150 cans of beer, 2 weeks worth of clothes, bog roll, retractable clothes lines, big "day bags" crowd you see every year. 

The day bags are to hold my water bottle (need to keep hydrated), sun tan lotion (I burn), toilet roll (IBS), painkillers. Honestly I don't know how people manage without a day bag.

Some people over-do it with the beer but then I think, well yeah if you're going to drink 48 cans that'd be £250 at the bar so I can understand.

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The day bags are to hold my water bottle (need to keep hydrated), sun tan lotion (I burn), toilet roll (IBS), painkillers. Honestly I don't know how people manage without a day bag.

Some people over-do it with the beer but then I think, well yeah if you're going to drink 48 cans that'd be £250 at the bar so I can understand.

Water bottle - Shorts pocket

Sun tan lotion - Shorts pocket/Free beside the Pyramid stage

Toilet roll - Shorts pocket/Get it when you need it from the lockups

Painkillers - The Nazis managed to carry them in their teeth. Didn't see any of them with a day bag. 

36 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not wishing to start an argument but I’ve done 70+ festivals and never once taken a day bag with me.

my way is to wear shorts with lots of pockets and carry travel size suncream/bog roll etc. jumper if needed goes round rhe waist I also  take 2/3 cans (lager or moth cocktails) out with me and buy from bars after…

I use a day bag. Not a huge one but big enough. I don't wonder why some people do not use them and don't understand why non bag users complain about those that do. It's no one's business. I just accept that everyone can (and should) do whatever works best for them.

9 hours ago, Neil said:

ow many do you reckon you can do, i've managed 30, having properly lost my mobility i'm properly out.

No idea. I'd like to keep going as long as I enjoy going. I've done 10 so far over 20 years. Ticket god depending I'm not planning to miss many in the next 10 years. See how I go 😅

I want to go if we get tickets and even contemplating volunteering but practically not sure I could manage camping again. Am waiting 2nd hip op after 1st one this year. If it’s not done before end January then I won’t be fully back to fitness. In 2022 we opted for Sticklinch as i wasn’t physically fit enough for carrying stuff too far although it was too far west really. We failed to get tickets this year so I didn’t have that dilemma in the end. I might think about a camper van or Lovefields if we get them in October. But I am not sure if I can manage 5 day’s camping when I can’t even easily get down on the floor 🙄

28 minutes ago, sedra said:

I want to go if we get tickets and even contemplating volunteering but practically not sure I could manage camping again. Am waiting 2nd hip op after 1st one this year. If it’s not done before end January then I won’t be fully back to fitness. In 2022 we opted for Sticklinch as i wasn’t physically fit enough for carrying stuff too far although it was too far west really. We failed to get tickets this year so I didn’t have that dilemma in the end. I might think about a camper van or Lovefields if we get them in October. But I am not sure if I can manage 5 day’s camping when I can’t even easily get down on the floor 🙄

I've always found just passing out to be just the ticket, on that front. Cuts out the middleman, so to speak. 

16 hours ago, The Nal said:

Water bottle - Shorts pocket

Sun tan lotion - Shorts pocket/Free beside the Pyramid stage

Toilet roll - Shorts pocket/Get it when you need it from the lockups

Painkillers - The Nazis managed to carry them in their teeth. Didn't see any of them with a day bag. 

16 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Not wishing to start an argument but I’ve done 70+ festivals and never once taken a day bag with me.

my way is to wear shorts with lots of pockets and carry travel size suncream/bog roll etc. jumper if needed goes round rhe waist I also  take 2/3 cans (lager or moth cocktails) out with me and buy from bars after…

So what you're both telling me is you basically take a day bag but strap it around your legs?

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

So what you're both telling me is you basically take a day bag but strap it around your legs?

Usually all I carry is my phone, wallet and a bottle of water in a shorts pocket. Some wine at night for gigs. 

I'm genuinely mystified by people with full heavy looking day bags when they're 200 metres from their tent. Surely you dont need a bag for painkillers? How many do you take?! Thousands?

Just now, The Nal said:

Usually all I carry is my phone, wallet and a bottle of water in a shorts pocket. Some wine at night for gigs. 

I'm genuinely mystified by people with full heavy looking day bags when they're 200 metres from their tent. Surely you dont need a bag for painkillers? How many do you take?! Thousands?

No but there's a point at which I can't fit stuff in my pocket so I might as well take a day bag. For me that part is when I get as far on your list as "water bottle". Doesn't fit in my pocket. Sure as sh*t not also fitting wine in there! I don't wear baggy shorts is why. Don't like them even unloaded, definitely don't like them with weight in the pockets banging against my leg. A small backpack is *way* more comfortable.

And once you're taking that, no harm in throwing a jumper for the evening in there too.

And yeah, I don't know how some people manage to take such large bags but then in the same way you can't see unlike you I need suncreen (as I burn easy) and bog roll (IBS) I'm sure there are probably legit reasons why they need other stuff.

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No but there's a point at which I can't fit stuff in my pocket so I might as well take a day bag. For me that part is when I get as far on your list as "water bottle". Doesn't fit in my pocket. Sure as sh*t not also fitting wine in there! I don't wear baggy shorts is why. Don't like them even unloaded, definitely don't like them with weight in the pockets banging against my leg. A small backpack is *way* more comfortable.

And once you're taking that, no harm in throwing a jumper for the evening in there too.

And yeah, I don't know how some people manage to take such large bags but then in the same way you can't see unlike you I need suncreen (as I burn easy) and bog roll (IBS) I'm sure there are probably legit reasons why they need other stuff.

Time to invest in some baggy shorts!

oliv_1.jpg