1 hour ago, tmolvik said:

If Maneskin even comes remotely close to headlining anything of this size, then music is dead and I'll stay home to hug my pillow...

Unpopular opinion - Maneskin would be a great headliner. Definitely a stretch for the band but they are the only fresh big rock act nowadays, relevant for young audience and a very good live act. I take them over any of the usual ones, which I love but seen zillion times.

• Like 2

As soon as they were announced for RaR today, I thought they had a big slot here absolutely sewn up. 

Agree with above that I don’t think they’re headliner size yet, maybe 3rd down or sub at a push. But when we say we want new headliners and such like, I’d take them over a Sam Smith type getting the bump any day personally 

6 hours ago, ThijsDB said:

The only person we've had who REALLY knew what was going on was @Jazebel a few years ago. Manifesting...

Jazebel I remember that the day before the announcement, he played a game and said the first lyrics of each band that was going to be announced, but Ken is also very good and gave a lot of tips and said when there were going to be announcements.

1 hour ago, matrainertje said:

I'd say even Sam Smith is more rock 'n roll than those guys. 

Yeah in terms of stage persona/promoting himself I would agree with that. I just meant in terms of music, not a huge fan of Maneskin but I've never been able to get on board with Sam Smith, just not my thing. 

I do however think his nearby dates put him ominously in the frame for a decent slot here though. 

Starting to think something along the lines of:

Thurs: Foos/Royal Blood

Fri: Pearl Jam/Sam Smith?

Sat: Dua Lipa/Maneskin

Sun: Ed Sheeran/BMTH

Could start bring a realistic prospect looking at who else is on elsewhere*. Wouldn't be enough to convince me, but with a decent undercard I could still be swayed

*Of course there could be some big bands hiding away with nothing yet announced who can blow the headliner field wide open. Find it odd that they haven't confirmed Foos since it's absolutely nailed on and everyone is sure of it. Maybe today at 3pm?

22 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Yeah in terms of stage persona/promoting himself I would agree with that. I just meant in terms of music, not a huge fan of Maneskin but I've never been able to get on board with Sam Smith, just not my thing. 

I do however think his nearby dates put him ominously in the frame for a decent slot here though. 

Could start bring a realistic prospect looking at who else is on elsewhere*. Wouldn't be enough to convince me, but with a decent undercard I could still be swayed

*Of course there could be some big bands hiding away with nothing yet announced who can blow the headliner field wide open. Find it odd that they haven't confirmed Foos since it's absolutely nailed on and everyone is sure of it. Maybe today at 3pm?

Fairly sure Ed is a festival exclusive to Hurricane/Southside?

Headliner options by category based on various discussions online, assume that the 4 big headliners will come from this list:

99% - Foo Fighters

Going on tour = always Werchter - Pearl Jam

Huge acts touring/in area - Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Dua Lipa

Previously cancelled - RATM, The Strokes, Stromae, Kendrick

Classic Rock rumblings - AC/DC, Sir Paul, The Cure

Rumored but ruled out - Green Day, Blink-182, The National ☹

As someone planning on coming from Canada for the first time since 2017, I’m hoping for something exciting and unexpected aka RATM/Strokes/Coldplay.  Otherwise it will become too similar to the mixed genre North American festival headliner mix that I’ve seen around here so often already.  We'll see but I don't have high hopes lol...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hammerfest said:

Headliner options by category based on various discussions online, assume that the 4 big headliners will come from this list:

99% - Foo Fighters

Going on tour = always Werchter - Pearl Jam

Huge acts touring/in area - Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Dua Lipa

Previously cancelled - RATM, The Strokes, Stromae, Kendrick

Classic Rock rumblings - AC/DC, Sir Paul, The Cure

Rumored but ruled out - Green Day, Blink-182, The National ☹

As someone planning on coming from Canada for the first time since 2017, I’m hoping for something exciting and unexpected aka RATM/Strokes/Coldplay.  Otherwise it will become too similar to the mixed genre North American festival headliner mix that I’ve seen around here so often already.  We'll see but I don't have high hopes lol...

With Green Day Ruled out, seeing Pearl Jam in 2022 at RW and seeing Foos in 2019 at Reading, RW are going to have to pull something really unexpected to stop me going to Rock Am Ring tbh 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nicolaspepsi said:

anyone knows when the tickets are going on sale? thanks!

Nobody knows. Only a few festivals like Hellfest put tickets on sale before giving some names (I don't count here the early bird promotion). Tickets should be available somewhere early December when they announced some names/headliners.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49Lawson said:

I think they're going for their usual announcement style: dropping each headliner (and other big names) one by one over the span of a few weeks. PJ usually only releases tour dates early December, which means Werchter cannot start announcing names too early if they don't want to leave a gap.

My guess: first headliner next Friday, which leaves 3 weeks until the start of December. Topping off with PJ somewhere in the week of the 4th. Tickets on sale Saturday 9th of December.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

I think they're going for their usual announcement style: dropping each headliner (and other big names) one by one over the span of a few weeks. PJ usually only releases tour dates early December, which means Werchter cannot start announcing names too early if they don't want to leave a gap.

My guess: first headliner next Friday, which leaves 3 weeks until the start of December. Topping off with PJ somewhere in the week of the 4th. Tickets on sale Saturday 9th of December.

My expectations are similar to yours. 

I will become even more optimistic if I start seeing changes on the website during the weekend (last year was on a Sunday).

1 hour ago, strudd3rs said:

RW must surely have a big hitter apart from Foos that’s stopping them from announcing. It doesn’t make sense to hold back announcing them now we know they are in Europe and announce after lots of the other big euro festivals.

They always have more than one big hitter ;).

In general, keep in mind that RW is (unfortunately) under the umbrella of LN - like most big festivals/concerts nowadays - so the timing for announcements depends on multiple factors. Today, for example, the tickets for the Boss's gig 2 days before the festival went on sale (sold out within a couple of hours btw!!!) which may have influenced things. 

Don't think the quick soldout of Springsteen's show will have any consequences on Rock Werchter. This year, TW Classic also sold out quickly from what I read.

For the last edition, they changed their website on October 10th, announced Stromae on October 12th, Arctic Monkeys on October 19th, Muse on October 21th, some big bands end October and November, followed by Red Hot Chili Peppers announced on December 5th. They're late this year! So I guess we should have news soon...

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, 49Lawson said:

Are Royal Blood more popular in Belgium than Germany? Find it interesting that on the RAR lineup Royal Blood are in the tiny writing

8 hours ago, AlexR said:

Are Royal Blood more popular in Belgium than Germany? Find it interesting that on the RAR lineup Royal Blood are in the tiny writing

Yeah, I’m sure the usually very reliable @Ken19once referred to them as a “Werchter Darling” on here. If they’re available with new material there’s a safe bet they’ll be there

4 hours ago, Aech2ElectricBoogaloo said:

Very much so and even if they weren't Herman Schueremans loves them enough to let them play twice in one weekend previously.

To be fair that was in 2015 when they were coming to prominence and Foos pulled out last minute. They replaced their slot with Faith No More and an extra Royal Blood set earlier in the day