SE Corner - time for a refresh?

O'Doyle Rules

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I see everyone here missed the secret venues that they brought back in Shangri-la this year. 

Guerilla Bar was dogshit, and full of the worst kind of pretentious posers imaginable. The worst crowd anywhere at glasto.

Platform 23 and three quarters was a fun idea though.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Did one of the shop doors open and lead to some sort of micro venue? 

One of the doors had a sticker on it saying 'to the dance', spotted it during the day and reckoned i'd figured it right out. Went back in the night and it didn't open.

Edited by Johnnyseven

2 hours ago, Isaact said:

Guerilla Bar was dogshit, and full of the worst kind of pretentious posers imaginable. The worst crowd anywhere at glasto.

Platform 23 and three quarters was a fun idea though.

Didn’t you have to be a “member” to get in? Basically be famous or a friend of the SL crew? 

12 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Didn’t you have to be a “member” to get in? Basically be famous or a friend of the SL crew? 

Essentially yes. They issue "membership cards", I usually end up with about half a dozen per festival, which can be given to anyone. They're great for trading as they're highly sought after. Not sure what SL crew is.

Re @Isaactpost, the Guerilla bar can seem to be full of pretentious posers and there are some for sure. ASAIK it's original purpose, except for making money, was to provide a "refuge" from the punters and a place for old school crew to hang out, partly in an attempt to recreate "the old days". I imagine it can feel a bit intimidating if your face isn't known.

The up side is that you do get some great parties in there and occasionally DJ sets or even performances from well known folks. I've seen Don Letts play, they've had Shy Fx and others. I've also met Don Letts, Bez and Thom Yorke in there.

There's a no photos policy in place to protect the privacy of any stars that may be in.

Edited by Skip997

11 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Essentially yes. They issue "membership cards", I usually end up with about half a dozen per festival, which can be given to anyone. They're great for trading as they're highly sought after. Not sure what SL crew is.

Re @Isaactpost, the Guerilla bar can seem to be full of pretentious posers and there are some for sure. ASAIK it's original purpose, except for making money, was to provide a "refuge" from the punters and a place for old school crew to hang out, partly in an attempt to recreate "the old days". I imagine it can feel a bit intimidating if your face isn't known.

The up side is that you do get some great parties in there and occasionally DJ sets or even performances from well known folks. I've seen Don Letts play, they've had Shy Fx and others. I've also met Don Letts, Bez and Thom Yorke in there.

There's a no photos policy in place to protect the privacy of any stars that may be in.

Where is the Guerilla Bar?

• 6 months later...

To fix Shangri-La - move the Truth stage to the far south east (where the supermarket / art stuff was last year) and remove the entrance at that end - so it's more Like IICON, where there's no reason to pass it, its an arena you enter and leave from the back of the crowd. Also, whack some toilets up there so you don't have to go so far to piss.  Use the space where Truth is now for a slightly enlarged Nowhere and a few micro venues / vendors.  That will stop the crowding when trying to get past where Truth is now and make it easier to get around.  Use the current crew only entrance behind Platform 24 to allow people in, so they don't all have to go through UFG.  

UFG has to stay I'm afraid - it's the last surviving hangout of a lot of the old traveller crews who really invented the SE Corner, and it's important that the festival has a way to honour its legacy and the people who had such an influence on the festival, especially in the late 80's, 90's etc.   Also, I know it's tired, but Blind Tiger and Salon are great venues that book a load of underground / smaller DJs - I'd hate to see nothing but big names in the SE Corner - people say there's too much D&B, but UFG is where you find the hardcore, tek, UKG if thats your thing.  Needs a bit of investment though, been too long looking the same.  I'm also not keen on the "it doesn't add much, get rid of it" kind of discussion - there are lots of niche areas, and a conversation like that could soon spread to things like Cabaret, Permaculture or even parts of the Green Fields - it's the variety that makes Glastonbury unique, and it needs to stay.  

IICON - change nothing, its an amazing thing that there's a massive stage playing weird underground stuff.  There also needs to be a decent soundsystem type stage somewhere, so that I can have my brain melted at 3am by some dub or reggae - RIP the short-lived Green Room, and Samula and Block 9 occasionally booking dub artists.  

• Upvote 10

11 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

UFG has to stay I'm afraid - it's the last surviving hangout of a lot of the old traveller crews who really invented the SE Corner, and it's important that the festival has a way to honour its legacy and the people who had such an influence on the festival, especially in the late 80's, 90's etc.  

This is a good point.

It also seems Guerilla bar was introduced as another hangout for the old traveler crews.

Bare in mind that there is little respect for such on here.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

This is a good point.

It also seems Guerilla bar was introduced as another hangout for the old traveler crews.

I don't think that's fair, Skip. I think most contributors on here with any degree of knowledge and experience of the festival celebrate the contributions of the traveling community and recognise the fact that without them, it may not even exist. Certainly nothing like the one we enjoy now, at least. They were, and still are, an intrinsic part of the festival's heritage and long may that continue. I don't think anyone on here would suggest otherwise.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

This thread pops up every year even though the area has undergone fairly significant change in the years I've been going. Shangri La is a bit tired I suppose but I agree with the above UFG has to stay. I really wish they could find the cash to rebuild / refurbish the old Genosys and bring it back. Give me that and I won't ask for anything else.

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

This is a good point.

Respect is earned. Brew and horse does not deserve respect 

4 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Does shaping the festival as we know it today deserve any?  Also, horses?  Big assumption that all the travelling communities are the same as Romany there...

Erm, some elements were considerably worse!

Having said that, it's obviously very wrong to tar everyone with the same brush..... including me 

For example the Brew comment. I was a Brew drinker but was a responsible hooligan 😁

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Having said that, it's obviously very wrong to tar everyone with the same brush..... including me 

would be unfair to tar all travellers as worthy? some are - plenty aren't 

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

would be unfair to tar all travellers as worthy? some are - plenty aren't 

May I refer you to the first line of my post which you have snipped a line from and quoted here?

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Erm, some elements were considerably worse!

^ There you go, the line which makes me a little puzzled with your comment.

Anyway... Didn't spend much in the SE corner last year, it just seemed to be much busier than the year before every time we we got near. Hoping I can spend more time there this year, as there were very few micro venues that I could find in 2022.