Best glamping for next year. Advice needed please.

angelin

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

As a side note, we’ve been looking at hiring motorhomes for next year and staying in general Camper Vans East… But it’s looking like costing twice as much for the same group… 2 x motorhomes £2000 - £2500 to hire… Plus pitch fees!!! 

Really want to try a motorhome (want to try every different option that we can afford eventually.) but the £3k between 6 is going to be very difficult to save for!!! And yet we spotted absolutely loads of hired motorhomes, in fact it’s the details of the ones we spotted this year that we’ve used to get quotes for next year. I find it weird how nobody bats an eyelid at those…

Genuinely twice as expensive. Fair play if you own one, but I can’t afford that, I don’t like finance as it is, bought my car after saving. But we did look into financing one, and it was like £700, every month, for 7 years!!! It was pretty low end too.

One day I’ll have the time to convert a high top LWB, mark my words, but right now I’m working way too many hours for that. 😕 

We did the hired camper in 2009, 2011 and 2013. It's about then that firms really woke up to the fact they could add a "Glasto tax" and it really wasn't cost effective compared to pre-erected camping.

The first time we hired a 6-bed it cost us £850. 

3 hours ago, angelin said:

Thank you for that and I hope your friends treatment will give her more good quality time. Things have changed, so they tell me. I beleive they do pre erected on that campsite also so that might be worth looking into. Where you able to use the short cuts with her?  Its just not a side to the festival Im used to but it sounds like it could work if I can somehow get my extra two friends in with their tents and me and three friends in an erected. It might be something the6 would allow if theres such a big space. Youve been very helpful and thank you for not giving me a mouthfull😀😀

Thank you! And you're welcome, just thought it might be helpful to hear firsthand experience. I didn't see any pre-erected tents there but that doesn't meant there weren't any as I wasn't looking out for them. My partner and I literally only had access to the campsite and nothing else. I don't think she asked for access to the shortcuts but I'm not sure - she didn't use them anyway. She basically just got access to the campsite, shuttle bus, viewing platforms and toilets. But I think you basically tell them what you need and they make an assessment.

It was all new to me this year too (my 10th year but first experience of any of the access stuff). But you have plenty of time to look into it and I believe they are very helpful if you email them with questions.

7 hours ago, Jamie 2194 said:

We stay at Windenlake, two people sharing a basic caravan including VIP wristband and EPO wristband works out to about £4k for both. Very expensive but if you can and want to do it that way it’s a nice way to do Glasto at my age. 

Crikey there prices have gone up a bit in the last few years.

I always thought it was odd that they'd go to the trouble of renting customers caravans, but then be most explicit that you can't use the loo or shower - that's a key appeal of a caravan ffs!

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

Crikey there prices have gone up a bit in the last few years.

I always thought it was odd that they'd go to the trouble of renting customers caravans, but then be most explicit that you can't use the loo or shower - that's a key appeal of a caravan ffs!

Haha, I know right. They don’t hook any of accommodation up. But they have ample shower and toilet blocks on site. So it’s basically a bedroom on wheels. 

On 7/1/2023 at 12:07 PM, angelin said:

How much did you pay for all of that and I wonder if anyone would help to Put it up with us?

We will help you put your tent(s) up we were at Love Fields this year and we be there next year ticket permitting.

We have a 5m Bell Tent that was in C1 a 6x 6 metre pitch and the guide ropes do technically go out of the pitch, loads of people were way way more outside and nobody seemed to mind.  Next year we are having a 8x6 metre pitch so we can use the Emperor Bell Tent instead.

4 hours ago, Jamie 2194 said:

Haha, I know right. They don’t hook any of accommodation up. But they have ample shower and toilet blocks on site. So it’s basically a bedroom on wheels. 

I wouldn't even want them to hook it up - just let me use it like a caravan is used everywhere on site (I've hire one for a small fraction of that price) - you have a chemical loo that every couple of days you empty into a special container by the bogs and the shower and taps use a water barrel that you can fill from a tap every couple of days. 

Once you're an old git it's the needing to leave the bedroom and trot to a separate block for a wee which may result in a failed mission 😉

On 7/1/2023 at 8:40 PM, panasonic2011 said:

We stayed at the Tangerine campsite this year.  We did it last year after about 20 years of pitching our own tent in family camping at Cockmill.  It’s not cheap £1300 for an 8 man tent but having your car parked so close to tents was a god send.  Also not stuck in a queue for hours before going into the Festival was a big bonus.  

What was it like on the way out? Keen to try Tangerine or Love Fields next year.

10 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I wouldn't even want them to hook it up - just let me use it like a caravan is used everywhere on site (I've hire one for a small fraction of that price) - you have a chemical loo that every couple of days you empty into a special container by the bogs and the shower and taps use a water barrel that you can fill from a tap every couple of days. 

Once you're an old git it's the needing to leave the bedroom and trot to a separate block for a wee which may result in a failed mission 😉

My years of Glasto have many a failed missions (normally on site though) it’s something to talk about the next morning (who didn’t quite make it to the toilet) haha 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SpencerF said:

Crying at the fact some people think you're not doing Glastonbury 'properly' unless you're shitting in a hole and sleeping/camping in pure discomfort

And acting as if these off-site camping spots are The Problem, while the core £340-a-ticket (for now) Glastonbury offering becomes increasingly monetised and more financially draining.

6 hours ago, SpencerF said:

Crying at the fact some people think you're not doing Glastonbury 'properly' unless you're shitting in a hole and sleeping/camping in pure discomfort

As long as you have ever sh@t in a hole and slept in discomfort then there'll be no need to get the pitchforks out 😉

2 hours ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

What was it like on the way out? Keen to try Tangerine or Love Fields next year.

Can't comment on Love Fields but Tangerine is a breeze as the exiting traffic is routed north up the lane and straight out onto the A361 where you are directed towards Shepton Mallet and onwards from there.  As such you don't get tangled up with the main East parking traffic.

This year I started the car at 1200 exactly and we were on our driveway in Frome 10 miles away by 1230.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

It was excellent.  We have disabled parking at Gate A and that’s how I got home but my wife travelled with the rest of our group from the Tangerine car park and got out really quickly as the exit is at the top of the hill out of Pilton so you avoid the traffic lights which I got caught in coming out of Pilton 

• Upvote 1