Worthyview / sticklinch 2023

buttonmonster

37 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Why do they not add more mate?

Dunno, maybe space available or cost. Though there is space between the farm and the entrance to put in a few more toilet blocks. Don’t know what they’ve done with the area where the food village used to be at the top of the old stairs. 

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Dunno, maybe space available or cost. Though there is space between the farm and the entrance to put in a few more toilet blocks. Don’t know what they’ve done with the area where the food village used to be at the top of the old stairs. 

They must take in close to £2m at WV alone, surely they can afford another shower block.

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Have heard complaints now several years in a row now about WV (and now Sticklinch) having big queues for showers, should they not listen to their 'customers' and put and put more in? 

Surely having showers is one of the big selling points?

All cost isn't it... 10 showers cost less than 8 to hire and run... A calculation somewhere along the line has been done I guess and that is the amount of showers they have hired. 

In fairness, even in peak times I do not think I was in line for any longer than 15 mins. The queue always moved very quickly. 

I personally really liked Worthy View and am looking forward to going back next year if the ticket gods are smiling down on me in October..

We stayed in sticklinch this year, family of 5 in a 6 man scout tent. The tent itself was really nice, good quality canvas tent. The queues for the showers have already been mentioned - though I only used them one day after my kid had been sick the night before... 

I didn't try the food stalls, but they looked ok, everyone seemed pretty chilled. 

There was one day the flushing toilets were out of use, so there was a massive queue for the composters, while they got repaired. 

I'd probably stay there again, mostly for the ease of getting in, and not lugging all my camping equipment and kids across a busy festival site looking for somewhere to camp. 

8 hours ago, StevieGed said:

We still didn't get woken up by the heat until 9am-ish which seemed to beat some of our other party who were staying in the basic pop up tents, as they seemed to struggle from around 7am each morning with the heat. For the value of money I don't think I'd head back to sticklinch, with the main reason being the long walk back in all honesty. 

We were in the Scout Tents (the ones that look like an A) in WV and they were very hot as soon as the sun rose. There's zero ventilation in them (unlike the bell tents which have vents in the top) and the way they were orientated, or at least the one I was in, meant that even when there was a breeze it was hitting the side of the tent and not actually coming in. Fortunately I had a portable fan thing that I used otherwise we would have really struggled.

1 hour ago, essjay2009 said:

We were in the Scout Tents (the ones that look like an A) in WV and they were very hot as soon as the sun rose. There's zero ventilation in them (unlike the bell tents which have vents in the top) and the way they were orientated, or at least the one I was in, meant that even when there was a breeze it was hitting the side of the tent and not actually coming in. Fortunately I had a portable fan thing that I used otherwise we would have really struggled.

Same experience here, was unbearable from 7am onwards. I got little sleep and by Saturday I was f**ked. 

I have stayed in Worthy View every year since it started (2013) apart from this year when I defected to Love Fields.

Worthy View for a "glamping" option does not have enough toilets and big queues develop at prime poo times 09.30 - 10.30am you can wait over 30 minutes, maybe okay for most.  However without going into detail I have  a condition where when I need number 2 I often have under 5 minutes before we hit code brown, so every year I have stayed at Worth View on at least one morning I have had to poo in my tent not pleasant obviously.

To be fair it was fine the first year of Worthy View but there were much less tents back then, once the Glasto Bells (A 4 metre fake Bell Tent which was initially sold as 5 meters) then it was squeaky bum time for me.

Loads of toilets in Love Fields never saw a queue once, I am talking about the two sets of composting toilets on the edge of the field a read somewhere on here that there were sometimes queues for the Love Filed porcelain beauties especially the mens as there were fewer cubicles for men, but I never used these as the composting toilets were so close to my tent .

Was anyone else around early on Wednesday where we had to wait an hour for the Pods reception to open up?
They were supposed to be open from 8am to collect keys, but had a sign saying "we'll be back at 12" - not a great start and luckily they had a kick up the A and opened up earlier.

Apart from male shower scenario, I had to speak to 4+ people to find out an answer about something on one day, so wasn't ideal. Though I did enjoy the pod and convenience of getting in and out of the festival. 

3 of us stayed in a 4 Man Bunkpad/Pigeon Coop at Sticklinch this year, I think 4 adult's woukd struggle to be comfortable in there but it was ok with 3. Top bunks could do with lowering 2 inches though for a better sleep.

Sticklinch itself was alright, got there 10:30ish Wednesday, was at our tent within 25 minutes of parking up.

Thought security on the entrance gates was abit over the top at first, think they had been told to be extra cautious. No searches on firat entrance, but 2nd entrance they where searching most people, 1 guard also tried to say I had too much alcohol, also seen a fella arguing about being abke to bring a bicycle in.

The facilities where pretty average, could do with 1 more bank of compost loos, normal loos where good and well managed but annoying when they where broken Friday.

Shower situation was crap tbf, I only got a shower Thursday & Saturday as couldnt be bothered waiting 45 mins to an hour. I'd rather they doubled the number of showers and charged £2 a go, there not going to increase them without cost going back to users, so this would hopefully half the waiting time.

Food offering looked pretty basic, much better and less ques in the festival.

We always stayed in Oxylers previously, so the walk back each night was a killer.

15 hours ago, clarkete said:

Turnover or profit? 

I'd be pleasantly surprised if you've seen any detail of their costs

Turnover...plus all the car parking passes they get.

The main thing I'm reading on this forum (and on reddit) is that there is not enough showers and toilets for the amount of people that are coming to use the facilities.

I'm sure GFL will be aware of it, but it sounds to me that both WV and Sticklinch need more toilets and shower blocks and food vendors to make it worth the money that is being charged.

Did anyone else wake up to the sound of a man with a broad Somerset accent angrily berating people pissing in the hedges in Worthy View South on the Saturday/Sunday morning? Didn’t sound like it came from the tower - sounded like he was laying in wait and then jumping out to issue well deserved bollockings.

(They really did need another set of compost toilets at the furthest end of the campsites, mind)

Edited by Drinky

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Turnover...plus all the car parking passes they get.

The main thing I'm reading on this forum (and on reddit) is that there is not enough showers and toilets for the amount of people that are coming to use the facilities.

I'm sure GFL will be aware of it, but it sounds to me that both WV and Sticklinch need more toilets and shower blocks and food vendors to make it worth the money that is being charged.

I'm hoping some folks will take up their request for feedback, as shared above... 

On 7/5/2023 at 7:52 AM, worthyraver said:

Worthy View for a "glamping" option

I'm a bit split on this. I don't think WV market themselves as glamping, and I don't think they are glamping. They market themselves as pre-erected camping, for people who can't/don't want to bring their own tent, and describe themselves as unpretentious (which, at least in my mind, is the opposite of glamping). The website almost goes out of its way to not talk about the other facilities, like showers. (also just noticed that the photo they use for WV on the website doesn't actually exist any more, it's the view point from the old route down)

I don't think it's comparable to the off-site glamping options, which are also more expensive. I think people see all the tents lined up, hear about showers, and immediately think of glamping where it's not really that. I suspect it's why some of the more hardcore "I'm going to tell you how to enjoy Glastonbury" people are more accepting of it than they are of the other options, it's not too dissimilar from general camping.

On 7/4/2023 at 9:39 PM, essjay2009 said:

I didn't make it to the festival this year (instead I sat watching it at home with my 7 week old son).  However in years gone past, this has been a game changer when we've stayed in the scout tents at WV

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tarp-tarp-fresh/_/R-p-312174?mc=8572388&c=WHITE

It is the perfect size to throw over the top of them and ties down on either side.  It is not as good as a blackout tent, but it'll buy you a few extra hours in the morning, once the sun comes up (and it makes your tent really easy to spot).

image.thumb.png.f48db86c32a4f048fd1a08ee53f03ae1.png

39 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Imagine trying to find your tent in that lot after a proper night out. No unique identifying features.

I expected more flags this year - god knows how I’d have found our tent on the first night in the dark without one